Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #1  
A loser losing happily

S/C/G: 280/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Question Need some advice from the calorie counting veterants out there

Hello Everyone:

I have been in a stall and actually was slowly gaining...I assumed that it was water weight seeing that TOM is right around the corner. Yesterday I reached 245 and averaging about 1500-1750 calories a day.

Yesterday I allowed myself a treat day and ate 1920 calories and when I weighed myself this morning I was 243.5 again. Ummmmm I am confused. I don't know if I should start calorie cycling, up my calories or stick with what I was doing. What do you all think?

I exercise 3-5 times a week, 30-45 minutes of cardio.

If you need anymore info let me know...
Tavinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

First of all, when you eat high one day, or low for that matter, it does NOT show up the VERY NEXT day. It takes a good 2 - 3 days for it to show. Weight loss or gain for that matter is usually not automatic.

Just how long have you been in a stall for? If it's less then 2 weeks, stick with what you are doing. If it's more, it might be time to shake things up a bit. Another thing, you say about 1500-1700 calories. Are you sure you are accurate? Could there be anyway that it's actually more then that? How are you tracking? Let us know. Okay?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #3  
Meg

I agree with Robin that the food you ate yesterday wasn't even metabolized when you weighed yourself this morning, so that didn't cause the drop. You may have been due for a loss or it could be water weight fluctuations due to your TOM -- but I'm sure you'll take it, regardless of what caused it!!

In my opinion, your calorie range sounds good right where it is, so why not stick with that a while longer and see how it goes?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

on 25 pounds lost so far!

I agree with Rockinrobin and Meg...are you logging what you eat or just keeping track in your head? I have to actually write it down or I tend to underestimate. I use Fitday - it's free.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I agree with everyone above. How long has your stall been. I am at a two week stall and still that does not worry me. I just stay focused on my eating and exercising plan. I don't worry till I hit about 4 weeks which has only happended once (maybe twice).

My first plan of attack whenever I hit what I call mini-plateaus is to shake up the exercise and not the eating. The more you do the same thing, your body actually burns less calories. I have read some suggestions that you should change up your routine as often as every 4 weeks.

You did not mention strength training. Remember as you lose weight to some extent you will lose some lean body mass so you need to do strength training to keep up that lean body mass which basically increases your overall metabolism or at least the calories you burn when not exercising.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #6  
A loser losing happily

S/C/G: 280/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Another thing, you say about 1500-1700 calories. Are you sure you are accurate? Could there be anyway that it's actually more then that? How are you tracking? Let us know. Okay?
I am pretty accurate, I use the prevention site to track what I eat everyday and I usually create the food that I eat normally because calories differ with different brands. Some days I usually eat between 1500-1700, sometimes a lil closer to 1800. I also measure and weigh everything. If I am out and can't measure I estimate high.

As for my stall, I have been slowing down (maybe 1 pound to 1.5 pounds a week) for about 1 month, I have been stuck between 243 and 245 for about 2 weeks, and usually when I weighed in I have been 244 or 244.5. Its pretty annoying because I really want to get out of the 240's.

Chick_in_hat thanx for the congrats

Maybe I should keep at 1500-1700 for a few more weeks and up my exercise? I am kinda processing right now...any other advice would be awesome. Thanx soooo much.
Tavinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

It sounds like it's not the logging orr keeping track of the calories. How about upping the intensity of the exercise if you aren't aiming for 80% of max heart rate already? For exampe if you are walking now, maybe try going faster at least in intervals to start with. Google Couch to 5K for a fairly easy to follow program. I also think strength training could rev your metabolism, too if you aren't doing it already.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #8  
Ticker-free

S/C/G: 216/204.2/135

Sometimes our bodies panic when we lose weight and try to hold on for dear life. This is when you see "plateu's". I just got out of one - couldn't for the life of me get to 199. Then one day, after 2 weeks, I went from 201 to 198, like my body finally realized I was serious. Then a day or two later I dropped to 195. Upping the intensity of the workout will help - if you're walking, add in a minute of jogging every few minutes, or if on a treadmill, walk on an incline or make use of the hill climb and random setting. Same for biking. Weights will help - even push ups, sit ups, leg lift etc at home. I do these while watching the Vancouver Canucks blow 2 goal leads...
perclady is offline   Reply With Quote