Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ March's Monthly Thread #007

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ this thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes physical limitations and/or difficulties.

Please join us in this special thread ~ to give support and encouragement; and share ideas, or just chat with one another ...

HAPPY MARCH EVERYONE

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-03-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 AM   #2  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Everyone and good afternoon.

Gosh gee whiz another month don't they just fly by. Yesterday I went to my parents house. Dad unfortunately was not too well, had a couple of bouts of vomiting. Although he is much better today so it probably the infection that he has at the minute at the transplanted skin graft site. District nurse said that the infection could have caused the vomiting so lets hope it gets under control soon. The doctor is trying to get his 6 week post operative check brought forward but will not know until Monday at the earliest as the consultant was away from the hospital on Friday.

I had to go to the doctors myself this week as I had been having dreadful abdominal pain very shortly after eating. I have been prescribed omprazole once a day. This is a drug used in the treatment of ulcers. They think that there is a strong possibility that I may have one as both mum and dad have had one. I am on this treatment for 6 weeks plus a blood test in a few weeks time to see if a bacteria has caused this. I have to go back after 6 weeks to see him again. After a few days of the tablets I am nearly pain free from the abdominal pain. I still feel a little tender in that area but probably will do until it has healed.

Last night we had gale force winds but we did not suffer any damage from those. It is still windy today but not as strong as it was all last night. I saw my sister and her family yesterday. She has not seen me for a few weeks now. Although we speak regularly on the phone. She was so shocked to see how much weight I have lost and my DH. I will never be the size of my sister I accept that as she is very slender and has been all her life. One joke we have always shared between us is that I am the eldest and far from flat chested my sister on the other hand is flat chested. She swears I was first in the queue and took all the bust and left her none

Cooked some lean beef today with vegetable and then plenty of steamed vegetables. The meal was beautiful pleased with the result. I have some left for tomorrow so that I can crack on with other household chores namely laundry if I am ok to do so. DH tonight well at 1am is picking up his sister and family from our local airport. His sister has been visiting their Auntie whom lives in Cyprus for the past 2 or 3 years. Must have been a big move to go to another country when you have retired. Auntie Cath is my DH mum's sister. There was an age gap between the two sisters. I only just met his mum a few times then unfortunately she passed away. Although I am so pleased that I met her she was a lovely lady who had suffered with her health in latter years.

Still ploughing through and putting things slowly on my pc slowly getting there. Do not realize that you have so much on your pc. Will be glad when it is over and done with. Does not help that you have to do chores etc in between so you have to start looking where your at and what else needs doing. Plus I find lots of excuses like coming on here and reading posts and replying. Rather than getting on with the job in hand.

Time for a cuppa I think so I will say my goodbyes. Hi to MO, VALPAL AND CBOWLES catch up with you all soon

Last edited by purpleorc; 03-01-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #3  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Happy weekend Ladies I'm finally over the worst of the viral bronchitis/ cold. I'm still really congested but I have most of my energy, appetitie and balance back and I did avoid a full blown MS flare!

Last weekend was frustrating for me... being a week into being sick and still really fatigued... I went through a couple days of the dizzies and it went downhill from there. I did not get much done for 2 weeks... and couldnt even walk outside without medicating with an inhaler to breathe. It's not even that cold now - it's warmed up between -15 and -25 most days

Purple I'm sorry to hear about your Father - it must be hard on his body to be sick after surgery. He's blessed to have knowledgable family like you to keep an eye on things!

and it's good that you found some relief withthe script written for your abdominal pain. So ulcers can be hereditary as well as stress related?

I'm glad things have been going well otherwise - weather and eating plan wise. You're doing so well with your weight loss

Rosebud - thanks for starting this month's thread! When does the snow start melting in your part of Ontario?

That's all for now. Happy March - and Hi to everyone else
Old 03-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #4  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ we had another gorgeous day today; now it's a bit overcast with a light sprinkle of the fluffy stuff. I spent a good part of the day trying to get pics of our backyard birds; but you sure have to be patient for that, as it takes hours and hours.

Just had a nap to get my legs up; I did a lot of walking over the last few days and my legs were showing it (swollen with pain). They feel better now: only rest and elevation can help them right now.

PURPLE ~ will say some more prayers for your DAD's health, and for your ulcer. Yes, they can be caused from bacteria and aggravated by stress. I'm glad you found a medication that is easing your pain. I picked up a nice lean sirloin roast for dinner tomorrow; we'll roast some nice veggies with that too.
Keep trudging on that computer, a bit each day and it will be good as new in no time.

DH has been clearing a bit of snow each day for a few minutes only; but over a few days, he has accomplished a lot. He's widening the path to my large bird feeder so we can see the birds from our dinner table. We have a large window in front of our table, so we can see all their funny antics.

VAL ~ glad your are feeling a bit better; these flus are tough this year. I am finally over the worst of the one we had, but had a bit of the fox trots last night: not sure what caused that, as I've had that problem for many years on and off. At least now it's not all the time anymore. Gee, I hope you didn't have to work while you were so sick; you need a lot of rest to fight off some of these flus.

We have had some real mild temps lately; and some of the snow has melted three times; good thing, or we would be buried by now. This is by far one of the mildest winters I recall, but hey, I'm not complaining: I actually love it. There is enuff snow to keep the ground wet and that's good for the wells, rivers, and lakes too. Normally, things start to melt in April here and most of the snow is gone by early May; but we may have an early spring this year, if this mild trend keeps up.

HOPE you ladies have a nice, restful weekend; will send up some special prayers for you both. Do take good care of yourselves, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #5  
MSer living healthy

Hi All

Up at silly times as DH sister plane has been delayed by nearly 3 hours. I know I could go to bed but I don't sleep too well without DH and if I do get to sleep I frequently wake up on him retiring to bed. Then have an awful job getting off to sleep so I choose to stop up as long as I can. No doubt tomorrow I will be wiped out and will not come round till Monday.

VALPAL:~ Glad to hear that you are now on the mend illnesses take their toll on us and frequently take a long time to go as our immune system is compromised with MS being an auto immune disease.

Yes it is taking its toll on Dad mentally and physically. I hope he soon turns the corner and is on the road to recovery. Yes ulcers have an increased risk if you have a parent with it but I have 2 parents with it so it is a strong family connection in my case. There are other reasons such as stress,spicy food, medications, smoking and a bacteria. Although it is of the latest medical opinion that stress and spicy food are not now a cause for ulcers.

Thanks for the boost to my confidence regarding my weight loss. I have lots of mini targets for the next 7 or so pounds. Firstly to lose 98 pounds as that will mean something in the English weighing system of using stones and pounds. That would mean I would have lost 7 stone. The next mini goal is to get to 100lb lost. Then finally to lose 104lbs and then I no longer will be obese but overweight. So much to look forward to in the coming weeks and months. You also are going extremely well and Rosebud has also had victories this winter. So we all are winners here.

ROSEBUD :~ Thanks for the prays for Dad and myself. One more for dinner tomorrow with having sirloin I love sirloin but is is so costly over here I was really surprised by you saying that it is an extremely mild winter to me that sounds severe but I suppose when you hardly ever get snow any downfall seems heavy to me.

I hope that your legs are feeling much better and the oedema (swelling) has gone down. Not pleasant when you get that. I can get that on long journeys or if I have been standing way too long on my legs for days on an end. Rest and elevation is the best medicine for them.

Time to head for my bed and get some shut eye. Night all and catch up with you all soon
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #6  
MSer living healthy

Hi All

Posting this post at more normal hours as it is mid afternoon here. It is a chilly day but we have sun so you need to wrap up warm to go out. Just been doing some correspondence by email and finished that so this is my coffee break.

Going out tomorrow to pick up my new glasses. I had a new pair approximately 6 months ago well they have been nothing but trouble I have to keep going in to the shop where I bought them and have them tightened. I understand that you have to do that periodically but this was on a regular basis. Well I had finally had enough and really pushed them about what they where going to do. I was offer new glasses which I am to pick up now tomorrow. I have to be fitted by the manager I think because I was so dissatisfied they dare not get it wrong a second time. The first pair I had was rimless glasses which suited me so this time I have gone for half rims. This is the first time I have had any trouble with a pair of glasses in all the time I have been wearing them which is over 20 years. So fingers crossed these are more successful.

Yesterday I made a big fresh fruit salad for our tea, I made it in a big container and so there is plenty left for today. DH had his with some fat free yogurt and I had mine just as it came. I love fresh fruit so have to be careful else I can give myself the Rodney Trotters with my greed for it

DH picked up a bargain the other day on going to the large superstore he managed to find many tee -shirts and polo shirts. I think he got 12 in all the other day. He has a weakness for shirt he is like the Imelda Marcos of shirts Although I must admit it was time for him to get some more all his other shirts where looking baggy. He has not lost much weight lately but his body shape is getting more svelte which has given him much encouragement even if the scales are being a pain. I am glad he has had some positive results it is hard for me to keep him motivated when the scales do not budge for him and they were going down regularly for me. I have slowed up though the past few weeks but that was too be expected.

Coffee break over I must get on with a few house hold chores that I put on hold this morning as my tummy was so sore but it has settled down now. Bye bye all catch up with you soon

Last edited by purpleorc; 03-03-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had lovely weather again for Sunday; just took it easy taking some more pics of my backyard friends. Later, my sis called and we spent hours yackin' on the phone. DH fell asleep after watching some movies, but got up later and we had a very late, light dinner. Having that roast sirloin today instead ~ LOL!

PURPLE ~ glad you are feeling a bit better; when I can't sleep it sometimes takes a couple of days to catch up. A little night toddy helps a bit too (only mine are made from hops); that's my Gramma's favorite remedy (thanks Gramma) ... hehe! That homemade fruit salad sounds good: what do you make your fresh fruit salad with? I guess that means that they now think that all ulcers have some physical cause; maybe the other stuff just aggravates it more???

Today, we've had lots of snow falling from the time we got up; hope we don't get too much though. It is kinda pretty, and it looks so fresh and clean out there now. Well, I came in to read a bit and catch up, but it's time to go for lunch ...

Take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 03-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #8  
MSer living healthy

Hi fellow chicks.

Well it is glorious sunshine outside but its deceiving as it has a very cold wind so you have to wrap up warm. Had a nice walk but initially cold but has I walked I soon warmed up.

Been and picked up my glasses today though after a few hours of wearing them I think they will have to be altered as they are now slipping down my nose. I wear my glasses high up on the bridge of my nose. I hate it when you keep having to push them up your nose as they are slipping constantly on looking down.

ROSEBUD My fresh fruit salad changes depending on what fruit I have in. It always consists of berries though of some sort or description. That salad had blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples, tangerines and kiwi fruit. Sometimes I add tinned fruit as well which is in natural juices such as peaches, mandarin oranges and pineapple. If I happen to have fruit that is tinned but in a light syrup (sometimes win these) I put the fruit in a colander and wash them thoroughly with cold water and toss into the salad. I like to serve with a small portion of yoghurt, or natural yoghurt ( or fromage frais ) sweetened with sweetener and vanilla essence or low fat ice cream. You can make it up into an air tight container and then it will last for a few days if kept refrigerated.

Yes ulcers they are a mine field to know the causes one article says one thing and another something else. One day they all might come to the same conclusion I have good days and bad days with it. I find if I eat little and often seems the way forward to keep the pain at bay.

Right time for sorting tea out. Not sure what we will be having. Cupboard a bit like old mother hubbards as we are going shopping tomorrow. I think I will do DH boiled eggs he likes eggs so that will go down a treat. With a couple of slices of toast. Well that is him sorted now to think about me. Not an egg fan never have been and probably never will be. I am more picky about food than DH, there is not much he will not eat. Bye till next time
Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #9  
Rosebud

HELLO MY CHICKADEES ~ we had a beautiful sunny day again, but it was a bit colder than last week; but by the late afternoon, I was roasting in my very warm winter coat. We had to go to town early this week to pick up an order; the store is closing down and they ordered something for us, so we had to be prompt. Picked up some things we forgot last week.

PURPLE ~ I also picked up some nice cotton stretch tops with snaps for the summer; on a clearance rack for only $5.00 each. Dh bought himself some heavy socks and new work gloves: think we'll get some more of those socks for him next week, as they were a good deal too.

HI VAL ~ hope you are feeling better; are you back at work, or still at home recuperating ???

We didn't get back til just in time to make dinner; so the day was full up. Spent the morning finishing up our bills and books; it's a tuff job, but somebody has to do it: meaning me!!! LOL! BTW, do you guys have an invisible guest living in your house called SOMEBODY? We do ... he/she is quite mischievious: taking things, moving things, losing things, breaking things, and so on. Funny thing is ... I have never seen them at it ~ LOL!

Have a great week, ladies ~ your friend ROSEBUD
Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #10  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Hello

Rosebud
It's great to hear you're having a mild spring. The professionals in my office building (we're a big family because we all work in small, fewer than 5 people type non profit orgs) have decided to 'make spring happen mentally'. So we're pulling out the spring clothing... and I got blonde highlights put in my hair last week.

SOMEBODY likes to annoy me.. so they must be in our house! Leaving blinds open, forgetting to pick up dirty dishes and refusing to take out the garbage. Let me know if you ever track somebody down

Purple
Thanks for explaining more about ulcers. I like getting as much -especially- health related information in lay-person terms. Do you think your successful weight loss this far plays a factor in your glasses sliding down more often? One of these days I'm going to go get mine readjusted too.

I am around more. I am back at work playing catch up from the week or so I took off.. and week after that where I went to work but did next to nothing. Tomorrow I'm presenting at an elementary school on behalf of a local tourism attraction.. and Friday I have a day long conference. It'll be the weekend before I know it!

take care all
Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #11  
MSer living healthy

Hi All

Well very dull day here today no sign of mr sunshine today. The wind still remains cold and biting.

Must try and crack on this weekend with the housework I have let it slide somewhat with feeling under the weather. So I hope that I am feeling well enough to manage to do it or at least but a big dint in it.

ROSEBUD Sounds like you got some bargains there with your cotton tops. It is nice to pick up bargains, Also sound like you had some good deals for your dh gloves and socks.

VALPAL I know with this pair of glasses it is not the weight loss that has caused the need for adjustment. These are a replacement pair this week for a pair of glasses which have had a fault in them. So when I thought they were ok in the opticians I really needed them tighter I suppose. Although I think if you have an existing pair of glasses and you have lost a large amount of weight I think that it is very likely some adjustments will have to be made. I have lost quite a bit of weight from my face since my weight loss journey began. Especially when I look at a picture of me. Though there are virtually none of me at my top weight and even then only a head and shoulders one. This is as I absolutely hated having my photograph taken. I would do anything to get out of them. I wish that I had more of me during my weight loss journey to see how far I have come. All I have is a number on the scales so to speak and a whole new wardrobe.

Time to go and have a lie down I feel tired after being at the tank this morning . Catch up with you all soon. bye bye fellow chicks.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #12  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ been keeping busy the last couple of days. We had a small amount of snow overnight (only about an inch), but it has been mostly sunny here. Yesterday, we washed our livingroom rug with a neat little upright cleaning machine we picked up on sale. Just two uses, and it pays for itself; and it's very quick and EZ to use too.

HI VAL ~ glad you are feeling better and catching up at work. We are very fortunate to have such nice, mild weather this year. We are going to the EYE VAN in April to get new glasses; I am so glad that they come here each year or we would have to take a long trip somewhere else to get them. I just had reading glasses before, but now I am going to have to wear them all the time as my eyesight is going down, which the last eye doctor says is common for someone my age. WOW, blonde highlights ... that sounds quite bold and interesting; but fun too! Good for you!!!

PURPLE ~ hope you get some rest today; we were up in the middle of the night with SWEETIE. I feel like we have a newborn ~ lol! She decided that she had to go to the washroom; and I was so tired by the time we got back to bed (really feel for all those new parents). Some of my reading glasses slide on me too. As I mentioned to VAL above, I will be getting permanent glasses soon, so I hope that I get good ones that don't do that.

I was the same as you, I didn't like to get my pics taken either, but I do have two of myself when I was heavier (one was my wedding pic, and the other one, a neighbour took for her daughter and so she gave me a copy). I actually weighed less in my wedding pic, but it didn't look like it. It's funny how certain hairdo's and clothing aren't that flattering. As I lose and change my wardrobe, I have learned a few new flattering tricks along the way.

Today I have been doing some early spring cleaning; cleaned out some cupboards and my pantry. Then did some housework and lots of laundry (it's change all the bedding day). Well, it's time to go put dinner on, so take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #13  
MSer living healthy

Hi fellow chicks,

We have sunny morning with plenty of breeze so I should get my washing dry or blown off the line . With it being nice I have managed my walk for the day. I am afraid at lunch time GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) 3fc site is down so I am putting this to word to transfer when it becomes available again.

The next few days are dedicated to catching up with house work. With feeling very much under the weather due to my ulcer I let the housework slide and I hate that but you do what is necessary to get by.

Would like to share with you all on here one big goal that I have achieved this morning on my weekly weighting in. I have lost 98lbs but to me in Britain that means 7 stone lost so I am really over the moon this morning. Next goal here I come 100lb lost

ROSEBUD yes I fully agree with you about mothers with infants and having to get up regularly during the night to feed and change them night after night all with very little sleep. The people who amaze me are ones who look after wildlife and have to be up hourly in the beginning to feed the creature in question to save their life. I do not think I could be so dedicated to do that night after night. They are very special people to do that. I hope that sweetie is soldiering along and enjoying life.

You will probably find once you get your glasses fitted correctly they should not slip on your face. If they do go back to the opticians to have the nose/ear pieces adjusted. I find because you are wearing them all the time they become less likely to need adjusting as you are not taking them off as regularly as reading glasses. I have worn my glasses all the time since I was 21 many moons ago now Though it is only in the past 4 years that I have had varilux lenses which then you use the upper part of your lenses for distance and the low part for reading. It took about 6 weeks to get use to. I was determined to master them so that I did not have to have 2 pairs of glasses as that was a sure way for me to lose one

Time to call lunch break over and get on with the housework and stop putting it off as I am doing with a thousand excuses none of which are very good. Bye all and take care

Last edited by purpleorc; 03-07-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #14  
Rosebud

HAPPY FRIDAY FRIENDS ~ we had another lovely day today; and I caught another amazing phenom in the sky this morning ... a full rainbow circle around the sun at dawn; managed to get some pics of that as well (see below). I am putting a different one in the Christian Encouragers thread; and here's a link to view that one too ~

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...6&d=1204932689

It was much colder today than they thought it would be, but we had sunshine most of the day, then late this aft, we had some flurries come from the north. Our BIL from down south called this morning and says they are expecting a huge storm today (hope it doesn't come here)!

We didn't do much today; just rested today as we did so much this week already that we decided to give ourselves a much needed rest for a few days. I've been doing some research on the net; just looking some health info up, and boy, that can sure take up some time.

PURPLE ~ on making your 7 stone loss!!! Now it's on to that NA number of 100 pounds even. 'Kudos to you' for getting in your walk; you are doing better than me. I was so sore and tired today, that I didn't even go out in this cold, frigid air. Maybe I'll march around the apartment or do some dancing tonight; that all counts too.

We are having a thin crust pizza for dinner tonight for our special Friday dinner; we had fish and lots of veggies and coleslaw last night. They have some specials on b/l and sk/l chicken breast and fish this week, think we'll go pick some up for next week. Thanks for the advice about the glasses. Hope you can get all your housework caught up soon; I only did a load of laundry today (comforters and blankets).

Well, not much else to report right now; better go get that skinny pizza in the oven for DH. Hope you all have a great Friday night and restful weekend too! Take good care of yourselves, your friend ROSEBUD

winter rainbow #8w.JPG

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-07-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #15  
Rosebud

We had a nice sunny day; too cold to go out though! Just restin' ...

HAVE A SUPER SUNDAY!!!

ROSEBUD
Closed Thread