Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #1  
1 day & 1 pound at a time

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default dayquil question

I woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and a soar throat. My mother suggest I take dayquil. I took it. But afterwards I felt guilty because I wasn't sure if I was allowed. My question is am I allowed to take syrup medication while on Atkins? My friend did the Dr. Berenstien diet last year and she wasn't allowed to take any form of none prescribed medication.
breathe me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

If you are sick and need to take medication, take the medication! I have been sick for two weeks now. I have not journaled my food or anything. I am focusing on getting better (went to the doc today and got put on antibiotics). I think a general rule of practice should be that if you are sick, your focus should be on getting better and not necessarily your eating or exercise plan. Just my 2 cents!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #3  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'6"

I know some hard core atkins followers who will not take multi-vitamins because they contain a binding starch (i.e. carbs). But it is such an insignifcant amount... we definitely had some lively discussions about what is allowed and not allowed.

back to your question because of the carb content, any non-prescription syrup would be a no-no. I saw on some other atkins boards that they recommend the dayquil gel-caps instead of the liquid form.

My personal opinion - get better any way you can. It's cold and flu season and not only do you not want it yourself, get better so you don't give it to someone else...
HiHoHiHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Cough syrups & cold medicine's contain sugar and therefore, usually have a high carb count. There are some over the counter products that are sugar free you may want to investigate.

Personally, I take Echinacea (a natural herb) beginning in October all the way thru May. It boosts your immune system. Knock on wood, I haven't had a cold in years!

PS. I'm' hard core Atkins....but, I do take my vitamins everyday...Dr. Atkins recommends it
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Awwwww...your sick too??? Wow...you just gotta love the timing Yeah..I agree that you should get better any way you can! If you've got the Dayquil...and it helps...so be it! FYI though...they're sugar free versions of alot of the sugar/alcohol laidened brands...I'd stick to those! I'm just getting over the flu myself, so I know how icky you must feel! Feel better soon.

BTW, how's things going with you (Atkins)? I mean..besides being sick and all. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe me View Post
I woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and a soar throat. My mother suggest I take dayquil. I took it. But afterwards I felt guilty because I wasn't sure if I was allowed. My question is am I allowed to take syrup medication while on Atkins? My friend did the Dr. Berenstien diet last year and she wasn't allowed to take any form of none prescribed medication.
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #6  
1 day & 1 pound at a time

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I guess i'm learning new things everyday. I had no idea they made sugar free cough medicine.

Jerseygirl it's sorta funny because today at school my friend was telling me about Echinacea. She says loves that stuff and she kept insisting I try it.

It's been 2 years since my last cold/flu. I feel like crap and all I want to do is sleep but I can't because I have work to do.

Overall Joyce the diets been good...I really think I can stay on it and not fall off. It fits my eating habits..Saturday will be a week since I started. Ohh and eggs are my new best friends..lol.
breathe me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I never get sick...it's been about 2 yrs for me as well and I really don't like taking medicine/pills. Sooo...I usually make several large cups of hot tea w/fresh lemon (1/2 lemon in every cup)...I'll drink about 3-4 cups a day. This will typically knock out whatever's coming (albeit the flu, cold, bronchitis, etc.)...the trick with that though...is to catch it early...by that I mean at the first signs (sore throat...tickle in chest, etc.). Hope you feel better soon and it's great to hear that your new WOE is working for you. I know you'll do great with this and when/if you get bored, just chime in here (3FC's) and I'm sure you'll get some great advice to help move you through to the next phase and keep it interesting! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote