Old 02-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #1  

Default :?: Fitday & point's has me confused

Ok, i use fit day to keep me on track & honest with what i eat. Here's the problem i'm having, i made a large pot of chili today . And on fit day it has it listed as 3 pt's per cup, But no ingredient's is listed for it? My chilli is pretty basic as far as what i put in it, so should i just use it and call it 3pt's a cup. I'm having a rough time with weight loss in the first place, I think it's because i'm starting to go thru menopause. But as long as i'm not gaining i'll be ok i think
chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm confused, did you put your recipe into fitday and it gave you 3 pts? Or did you ask fitday how many pts in a regular chili?

3 points does sound about right for chili though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

My first question would be - why are you using FitDay to find WW points? You should be able to go into your week 1 booklet for "chili" and find out how many points chili is. You can use that point value for your chili. I would tell you what it is, but I don't have my book with me. If memory serves correct, I think that chili con carne is 8 points per cup. Without the cheese, it would probably be around 6 points per cup.

Do you have WW eTools? If you do, you can enter your recipe into eTools to find out how many points a serving is.

BTW, 3 points per cup is about right for vegetarian chili, but not beef chili. I just looked up all the points values online.

Last edited by modkittn; 02-28-2008 at 02:37 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #4  

I looked it up on the site, and thought it was low for point's and thought i better ask. I did not know i could put the whole recipe in?

I also have another stupid question, here it goes. Do you also put all the veggie's you eat into fit day? The reason i ask is because i try to keep as close as i can to the 30/30/40 % thing as i can and needless to say all the veggie's i eat tend's to put me way over for my carb intake.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #5  

I am confused. Are you a WW or a calorie counter?

You can enter recipes onto the WW eTools site. You need the ingredients and number of portions. eTools figures out how how many points it will be per serving.

If you are a WW and using fitday is confusing for you, why are you using it? If you have the WW eTools, you might want to try using that to track your daily intake. They have lots of foods available in their database. You won't find many WW who use fitday, so if you still want to use it you might want to post any of your fitday questions in the Calorie Counters forum (lots of fitday users there).
Old 02-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #6  

I'm a ww, I just want to be sure of what & how much goes into my mouth. I do not have etool's, my book has it listed as canned chilli (2 different type's of chilli) one is 8 pt's the other is 11pt's per cup , And i only wondered because i'm not eating it out of a can (yuck).

Last edited by chuckie; 02-28-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #7  

If you are making a standard beef chili recipe, the eTools have that listed as 8 points a cup, so you could use that or figure out the points values on your own (more info on that below). I wouldn't trust point values that are listed on FitDay - are they licensed to show WW points? I would use the week 1 book or you can buy the Complete Food Guide as well (I think it costs $10) if you don't want to sign up for eTools and it isn't something you can use your slide for.

To figure out points for a recipe without using the eTools:
Figure out the points value for each individual ingredient.
Add up all those points values to get the total points for the recipe.
Divide this number by the number of servings. This will give you the number of points per serving.

Last edited by modkittn; 02-28-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Fitday doesn't show WW points, so I assume you're taking the nutritional info it gives you for a general 'chili' estimate and figuring the points from there, right?

Fitday is pretty inexact when you're talking about prepared foods. Its definition of what goes into chili may be WAY off from what you put in the one you made. Your best bet here, chuckie, is to write down ALL of your ingredients, sit down with your WW book, and count up the TOTAL points in the pot of chili you made. Then divide that by the number of servings you got. That's really the best, most accurate way to get the points for what you made; don't rely on Fitday's estimations for points, but I guess for the purposes of figuring your cal/fat/carb ratio the Fitday estimation is okay, since your WL doesn't directly rely on the accuracy of that ratio but it DOES rely on you not over- or under-eating your points.

If you post the recipe we can help you figure it out, too.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #9  

Suirejudyblueeyes, Thank you for the offer in figuring this out, But i wrote it in as 10 pt's just to be on the safe side. I am going out this week end to buy some ww cookbook's.

You live in one of the most beautiful state's that we have ever been thur.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I'm pretty much in love with Virginia. It's a gorgeous state indeed!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote