PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default Great new plan, PCOS doing well

So things have been going great! My period is almost back to normal!!! I actually get it every 45 days now (instead of never) and eliminating grains and sugar is having me feel amazing! The MSM supplement is bringing my hair back and the exercising is thinning my facial hair. I am also feeling better since I've been off the pill for almost 2 months. I can't believe I suffered on it for so long.

I'm actually trying to make an appointment with some doctors who deal with PCOS and infertility without using drugs or the pill, just to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Last night I lifted for 30 minutes then powerwalked on the treadmill for 60 minutes. 90 minutes at the gym isn't bad Then I came home, drank lots of water, and my boyfriend made lean chicken wings with tobasco sauce and steamed green beans. I actually took the MSM at 10:15pm right before bed- bad idea. I wanted to go running or jump off the walls after that (but not in a caffeinated way- in a wonderful energetic way). I have to take it around dinner from now on so my energy doesn't keep me from sleep, lol.

Just had a meeting with my boss and I'm now in charge of another journal, which makes a total of 5. It'll be a lot more work but I'm taking it as a good sign! With all this energy I've had in the last 2 weeks (eliminating the grains and taking the MSM) I'm sure I'm up for the new challenge.

Well, just feeling good and wanted to post. This site is great- I just found it yesterday by accident. It's great meeting so many other women with the condition.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/190/150

Height: 5'1

Michelle25- I am so happy that you are feeling so much better and that you have a plan and are sticking to it.

What kind of diet are you doing?
What exactly are the MSM supplements your are taking?
It looks like you have almost lost 20lbs. Way to go!!!! When did you start?

Once again congratulations and keep up the good work.
WeightSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #3  

Default Msm

I'm basically going very organic and cutting out grains and sugar. Now, I know that whole grains are VERY healthy for normal people and weight loss, but I noticed that it still makes me ravenous and doesn't do anything for my weight. Like I would make high protein flax pasta (healthy, right?) and I would still crave the entire pot afterwards. So I just got so fed up that I decided to stick with oats and yams. No other starchy stuff like white potatoes, etc. It's been pretty good so far and I noticed my appetite is waaaaaay down. I have an oat muffin for breakfast (my only real grain for the day), salad with protein for lunch, lowfat dairy and veggies for snack, and protein and veggies for dinner.

As for the supplement, here's from Google:
MSM stands for methylsulfonylmethane. MSM is an organic sulfur compound that exists to some extent in all living things. MSM is a basic nutrient required for the proper functioning of the body. Most people are deficient in this nutrient.

My mom's nutritionist recommended it since she also has slight PCOS and hair loss and it's working wonders for her. Basically this sulfur usually is present in produce (it comes from the soil) but our soil is so depleted of nutrients that we don't get the dose we're supposed to. So it's all natural and something we need anyway.

I've been taking 3/4 tsp of MSM powder twice daily for 2 weeks and my hair is definitely growing in! Also, and I didn't know this, but it provides great energy (for me at least). I've been jolly and happy and energetic all week, and I'm practically white-knuckling my chair right now til the end of the day when I can finally get to the gym. I've honestly never felt this way before. I guess this is what a normal healthy person feels like??

I bought Rich's MSM just because that's the one my aunt and my mom's nutritionist use. Apparently some formulas can be chemically modified for cheaper production, and we don't want any of that. So I stuck with the brand they knew was good. I got it online and it was only $10 for a jar, which will most likely last me until April, I think. But I think for my next order I will get the pills instead of the powder since it tastes like @$$. I hold my nose and take it in a shot of orange juice right now, lol.

Also, my endo said that raised insulin levels make your hair (on your head) follicles contract, and guess what? Our hair falls out! So, eating that plate of pasta or cookie is actually making our hair fall out (not everyone, just those of us with insulin issues). I was shocked to hear that. She told me I need to be in the gym for AT LEAST 60 minutes to keep my hormones and insulin in check for the next 24 hours, OR I could go on 2 or 3 drugs (including Met), my choice. I quickly declined the drugs and took on the lifestyle perscription instead. Now, I didn't follow it at first but in the past month I really cracked down on myself and I feel amazing. Just amazing.

I'm sure you know what it's like to go undiagnosed for like your whole life and deal with the cravings, weight gain, fatigue, depression, ugly facial hair, etc. I thought it was all my fault. But something has happened after taking the MSM and cutting out grains. I didn't think I'd feel this good! I'm never going back.

Woah- I wrote alot... how are you doing with your plan??
Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #4  
Elizabeth's Mommy

S/C/G: 197/194/150

Height: 5'8"

Thank you for the positive post. I'm going to my health food store tomorrow. :-)
bp72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

wow...what an inspiring story, That seems like a very extreme diet...results like that must make it easier to stick to though.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Does Rich's MSM come in capsules? I have been using biotin supplements for hair loss. I think they helped at first but now I have increased hair loss. Maybe this can help me too.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #7  

I think they do sell them in tablets. If you Google Rich's MSM there are few health food sites that sell it. My hair is DEFINITELY even MORE thick and full than when I originally posted this thread. It just seems to get better with each passing month. My hair isn't totally grown in yet to my satisfaction, but I've gotten the greatest results from it. So, it's been about 2 months I've been taking it once a day or so. The recommended 2x/day might work even better- but I usually forget!