Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Default Never been thin

I see all these posts about a goal piece of clothing, my problem is I haven't been slim since I was 5, and I don't think anything from back then will fit me now. It's tough for me to picture myself as anything but fat because I have been fat for as long as I remember. Anyone else have this same issue?
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I agree.
My clothing goals are simple....buy new jeans in a smaller size.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #3  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Agreed--- I was a 100 pound 2nd grader!!! (I know that for a fact b/c my teacher made me get on a scale in front of the whole class... some things you dont' forget)

Yeah, I don't have goals to be "super skinny" or even "thin". I know that I got down to a small size 14 at one point and was very happy. Still not thin by any means. But healthier. And if I get there and want to keep going, I will... we'll see what the future has in store for me. Maybe "thin" is in my future--- I'm on my own, new live, new rules--- maybe thin is a possibility now that I'm living by my own rules, and not that of a school or a parent... you know?
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #4  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

i'm the same. the thinnest i ever was was at 165. i just plan on buying a cute outfit in a smaller size to celebrate when i lose the weight.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #5  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

brandnewjen, i just saw your post, and it brought back memories. In 5th grade my teacher made our class weigh themselves, and I was one of the heaviest at 125 pounds(i was 5'3). all the other girls weighed like 98-105 pounds. it was depressing.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I remember in middle school sometime, we had a health day and had to get on the scale (and also get our ears and eyes checked and stuff). The guy weighing me was awful and didn't even wait to see where the weights on the bar slider thing (one of those old fashioned scales) balanced, I got on the scale, he pushed the weight around, and told me I weighed 200. :/

In retrospect I know it was pretty impossible for that to be true... I didn't go over 200 til the end of high school. But it sure was embarassing then to hear that.

Anyway, yeah, I've never been thin either... It will be very interesting to see what it's like! I'm aiming for a pretty average weight... I see people come into the forums with start weights that are the same as my goal weight! Ah well, I'll just have to see what happens when I get there...
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #7  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

I almost cried reading about your childhood memory of being weighed in front of the class. It is so sad that teachers would let that happen to any child.

I was pretty small before I had kids, but that has been a long time ago and people would laugh at me if I tried to wear those clother from 10+ years ago...can you say tie dyed shirts and tight leg jeans.
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

ooh ooh, me me me!

I was 200 pounds before I even hit high school. I haven't been a "normal" weight since I was about 4. I've had to shop in plus sizes since middle school. Even before that, in elementary school, I had to buy the girls' "plus" sizes (JCPenny carried them). I've been over 250 since I started my last year of college at age 21. I don't recall ever being less than 264 after college (I'm 25 now).

I have purchased a few cute clothing items in smaller sizes thinking maybe I would be inspired to lose weight to fit into them, but it didn't work
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #9  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I was really, really slim when i was in grade , age 8 I guess. In Grade 6 I was at this height, more or less, and had a distinct tummy. I was a size 5 then, which doesn't sound at all bad now but I was overweight for my age. I was at my heaviest in Grade 9 - you can see I was heaver in my face. I'm a bit less now, maybe 10 pounds - I was depresed then

I essentially want to weigh now what I did when I was 12.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #10  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

yeah, as sad as the story was about getting weighed in front of the class (it was "learn the scale" day... she weighed everyone and only when it was MY turn did she realize that she was reading them off in KG, not LBS... so not only did she say "Jen is 100 kg", she followed it up with "oh wait, oh goodness... no no... Jen is 100 POUNDS. Kids, it's 100 POUNDS. I've been saying it wrong" Stupid idiot!

Anyhow--- as sad as that story is, the story of how I told my mom that night and she got SO ANGRY (she's a big lady too) that she went to the school the next day, broke down in tears in front of the principal, and then confronted the teacher. The sad story is balanced by the AWESOME and funny story of how my mom busted into that classroom after school let out and "the teacher was literally using her desk as a barrier between us" b/c she could see how FURIOUS my mom was. As she says, "I really could have KILLED her that day. She's lucky that desk was there!"

For every bad, there's a good. Right?
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Glad to see I'm not the only one! I remember having to get on the scale in front of everyone in my PE class in high school, I wasn't the heaviest but I was darn close.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

*waves hands around in air* I'm part of that "never been thin" club!!!

I was 95 lbs at age 5. I was actually proud of this at the time, because I was the biggest kid in kindergarden! Mostly because I was at least an inch taller than everyone... funny how perspective can change everything ^^

I don't remember getting myself weighed too often. Yearly, perhaps, at annual doctor's visits. I was between 180 & 200 for much of Junior High. And I was over 200 for the start of highschool. I was about 250 + when I began college. And now I'm 250ish again, and working my way (weigh hee hee) back down again.

Just like many ladies here, I've always been "Plus".

I cannot buy something at goal size, because... I have NO clue what my goal size will be. I'm clueless! (Which is exciting... like a mystery I'm going to solve over time ^^) So what I've been doing, is buying just one pair of pants just one size too small. I'm pretty sure that I'm not meant to be a size 22 at 150 lbs so, I have a size 20 pair in my room, and every once in a while I'll be putting them on to see how far I can get them up, or if I can zip them up (weeee ^^).

It's fun sitting here & wondering a bit about what my REAL size is.

Oh boy, sorry... I could go on all day talking about how exciting it will be to finally have an answer to this riddle
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

I think it was in 4th grade that I read an article in some women's magazine about the perfect weight for your height, and they were talking about one of the actresses on Melrose Place and saying how she was perfect at 5'7" and 120 lbs. For some reason that number stuck in my head. We had a scale in the bathroom and I would weight myself every day first thing, and the week that I passed that mark was really, really hard for me.

We also had a class weigh-in. My teacher was kind enough to let us write the weight down on a piece of paper so that it was kept private. I was so relieved, but then the next week we had another class activity of taking each other's waist measurments and then calling them out. Mine was the largest

Sometimes I think back, and though I'm not really happy that I was overweight growing up I still think it helped form my character in some positive ways. I'm also glad I don't have the whole "I was 125 in high school, why can't I be that thin again / How did I let myself get this large?" guilt thing I see so many people struggle with. At this point, I'm the thinnest I've been since junior high, so every lower weight is an accomplishment.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulVegGirl View Post
Sometimes I think back, and though I'm not really happy that I was overweight growing up I still think it helped form my character in some positive ways. I'm also glad I don't have the whole "I was 125 in high school, why can't I be that thin again / How did I let myself get this large?" guilt thing I see so many people struggle with. At this point, I'm the thinnest I've been since junior high, so every lower weight is an accomplishment.
I have similar feelings about it. I have this "wide eyes of a child" discovery thing going on. I didn't realize my body could do these things or look this good. It's all BRAND NEW.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150-145

Height: 5'9"

Default Mystery Size

I could solve the mystery for you but I won't ruin your surpise...it's a good one! I used to be it....sometime in High School. I'm aiming for it again. I will definitely consider myself thin if I can get to 150.

I work at a very "fit" company. I've said this before on another thread. They exercise on their lunch breaks while I eat. Last year, we had a guy come from a local gym to do our body mass index or something...so bad with technical terms. I finally decided I would do it because he wasn't telling the results, he was showing the employee and moving to the next without revealing it to everyone else in the room. So I get up the nerve and I'm one of the last people. I get my result and I'm looking to see it on the chart so I know what the number means...and he says, "Oh, it's not on there. The page cut off. It's considered obese."

I know it was recent and not a traumatic childhood thing...but all the skinny, exercising employees I work with who were in the room got to know that I was considered obese. Thanks for that, Mr. Gym Guy. I'm still not joining.
Florida Native is offline   Reply With Quote