Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/250/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Discrepancies in Point Counts in WW Books

I have the starter book and I bought the book with the brand name and ethnic food points count, which also has a generic listing in the front. I am finding that the points they have in the book don't always jive with what I figure out on my point counter.

For example, the book says one tablespoon of Miracle Whip is 2 points, but when I figure it on the counter, it's only 1 point. They also say whipped butter is 3 points a tablespoon, but the counter says 2.

Anyone else had this experience, and are they just mistakes or what?
Phillygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239.9/226.8/175

Height: 5'4"

If it is an item that I can work the points myself, I don't use the book... I have never noticed a problem, because I tend to go by the label and not even look in the book!
diet diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

I've noticed the discrepancies, too, and like Diet Diva, I just go by the info on the package. I think if we're consistant, and it all works out in the end.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I rarely use my books, actually, unless I'm trying to gauge what points are for a food item that doesn't have nutritional content printed on a package. (Just like calorie counting, I sometimes have to guestimate based on the other points I see for similar items.) I agree, as long as we're consistent, and not guessing about every item we eat, everything should be fine in the end.

If it's a true concern, DO call WW and voice it. They should be printing accurate info, afterall. ^^

Last edited by Lovely; 02-21-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #5  

I'm just here to nod in agreement.

The only times I bother with the books is when I'm eating food I didn't make myself. Restaurants w/o nutritional info online, food at friends' houses, etc. Things where I can't get the label info and use my slider.

Slider always trumps books for me.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #6  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

i agree with everyone else! i only use the books to find points for something at a restaraunt or trying to compare items that i dont have NI for. other wise i always go by the NI on the package/container
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #7  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

so what about vegetable oil??
what does it say in your WW book?
I have this website with food values listed, and it says one serving is only 1 point...but it has like 14 grams of fat so it seems like it should have more
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #8  

1 serving = 1 tsp = 1 pt.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

When I was a member of WW on-line they said that when there is a discrapancy between book and labels on item to always go by the label. Like others here, I always go by labels any way mainly because I don't always use name brands. I read some where that unless they specify the brand that they give the higher count of several brands when it comes to generalization. I figure doing it myself keeps me more accurate, I hope.

Trish

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-21-2008 at 06:14 PM.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
1 serving = 1 tsp = 1 pt.
Depends on what the serving is of! And most servings of things that are measured by tsps., etc., are listed as tablespoons. Like one Tablespoon of Miracle Whip or Coffeemate is 1 point.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdaybaby View Post
so what about vegetable oil??
what does it say in your WW book?
I have this website with food values listed, and it says one serving is only 1 point...but it has like 14 grams of fat so it seems like it should have more
One tablespoon of olive oil or butter is 3 points, 1 point per tsp. But if you use whipped butter, it's only 2 points per tablespoon.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #12  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

The label will tell you the serving size, that's where you have to watch things like sports drinks, one bottle may have 2.5 or 3 servings, so you have to do some multiplying to figure your pts. I hate when they put oz. for pasta, I would measure it in a cup, not on the scale!! erg

Anyway, I think Suite was talking specifically about veg. oil. that's where you have to remember the 3 tsps. per tbsp. Learning the ins and outs of your measuring devices is helpful, too. I have two food scales, one for smaller stuff and one for larger quantitities, someday I'll splurge on a digital device and chuck the two.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #13  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

okay so what do you guys say about cheese????
Right now, I have sharp cheddar cheese...
and in one of my food lists for WW, it says one serving of cheese is only 1 point. But when I did the sharp cheddar on the calculator, it was 3 points per serving.
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #14  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Is the serving size the same? WW servings for cheese are 1 oz. except for the slice, which is 3/4 of an oz. My shredded cheese has a servings size of 1/4 c. so it's apples and oranges, see what I mean?

You have to go by the label on the food you are eating if you have it. WW is an estimate, an average of a bunch of different brands. Also, I see that WW is 1 pt. for fat free cheese, 2 pts. for low fat, 3 pts. for regular for that same 1 oz. Is your sharp cheddar fat free?

I didn't like the ff cheese, I buy the 2%, I still like the taste.

Be careful with your portions, good luck!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote