Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/250/180

Height: 5'7"

Default V8 Juice

Does one 12 oz. can of V8 really count as 3 servings of veggies? Some days I'm short on my veggie and fruit count and have a can to make up for it. Someone told me that V8 juice is not really as good for you as they say.
Phillygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 AM   #2  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

It should be better than no veggies. V8 does have a lot of sodium.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #3  

Yeah, I was going to mention the sodium content too. If it helps you get your veggies in then go for it, just make sure you're drinking water.

Are you sure you're falling short on your intake? Remember that 1/2c of most veggies is a serving, and 1c for leafy greens... It may be easier to sneak those veggies in than you think!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/250/180

Well, I count the Garden Veggie Soup as a veggie, and have 1-2 cups of that a day. I always have a green veggie with dinner, usually one that is no points, but I love peas and sometimes just have to have them. The 2 points per cup are worth it to me.

Last time I did this, I was told I was eating too much fruit and not enough veggies by my WW guide, but I lost 25 pounds in six weeks and she said it was evidently working for me! Perhaps I should just eat 3 fruits and 2 veggies like I did then because I haven't lost anything for two weeks concentrating on veggies.

I know V8 has a high sodium content. They do have low sodium V8 but I can't find it in cases and I've only found it in the little cans. To buy the amount I want or need will cost a fortune! Since I am very careful about my salt intake, I figure one can a day is okay, as long as it does indeed count as a veggie.
Phillygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #5  

Do what works for you. That is pretty much the bottom line of all of this. (Well, with the caveat of "be healthy" while doing what works for you, and it sounds like you're doing fine.)

Between the garden veg soup, V-8, and a cup of veg at dinner you appear to be set... If you're too concerned about it add a little salad to your dinner or lunch. Otherwise enjoy your peas and V-8
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The biggest reason juices are not as good for you as whole fruits and veggies is that juicing removes most, if not all of the healthy fiber. So whole will always be better, but juice is better than nothing, and vegetable juice is almost always better than fruit juice. You can add fiber back in through whole grains or a supplement (not sure if that's nutritionally the same).

There are very few foods (at least real foods) that are entirely good or entirely bad, you have to make the best choices that you can comfortably fit into your life.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

You also get more satisfaction and feel fuller eating a cup of peas than drinking juice. That's another reason they try to steer you towards eating the whole food rather than the juice, same with an apple or apple juice.

Sounds to me also like you are getting plenty of veg, don't stress about it, you're fine, if you want to eat more fruit, do so. I believe the "old" WW had some limits on fruit, perhaps that's why your leader counseled you on it, the food pyramid and other guidelines have increased fruit and veggie recommendations.

The bottom line is absolutely, do what works for you. If you're doing something because you think you're supposed to, and it's doesn't fit your lifestyle, you won't stick with it. The goal is to find what works for you for the long haul (maintenance).

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love using V-8 as a soup base to get in even more vegetables. Especially in the winter when veggies seem less exciting (to me). I use a can of V-8 (sometimes the big can, sometimes the little can depending on how much soup I want to make). Add an equal amount of canned broth or water and soup cubes or powder. Then I add fresh, frozen, and/or canned veggies, whatever I have, even leftovers. At it's simplest I use one 12 oz can of V-8, one 15 oz can of broth, and one can of mixed veggies or half bag of frozen.

One of my favorites is a quicky pseudo-borscht. V-8, beef broth, canned diced beets (liquid and all), diced onion (fresh, frozen, or dried) and fresh diced cabbage (I've heard you can use well washed sauerkraut, but I've never tried it).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote