UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/125

Height: 5'4

Default Could this be the way to go?

Hi, I am really nervous about joining something like this. Something I have never done before. However, I realized that it is always good to find support and meet new friends I have had a weight problem for a long time. I really have to consistently stay on myself. I was doing really good counting calories and working out 5-6 days a week toward the end of November. However, then my was diagnosed with lung cancer and I quickly fell into all my bad habits once again. I normally do try to eat pretty healthy, but working in an elementary school it seems you are already surrounded by yummy treats! Over the past few months I have gained at least 15 pounds of the weight I lost back. I have tried to count calories again, but it just did not seem to be working. Finally, a girl I worked with inspired me with her story of using weight watchers. I have been doing it the past three days, it is easier than counting calories, but I have not decided as a working college student if this is something I new to truly invest a lot of time and money into. But I know that 174 on my 5'4 frame is not good, and does not seem to be getting any better. I was wondering if anyone out there could share their opinions of weight watchers or any other plans that seem to be working well. Thank you so much, cant wait to meet some new friends.
Esparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #2  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

Hi esparkles, welcome to 3FC Sounds like you have the motivation to lose, is your reent gain due to chemo at all?

WW is a great programme to follow, you don't really have to invest a great deal of time to do it, it's one of the best things I've followed in the past and had great results.

I'm trying low carb at the moment and it's harder than WW...

Come and join in the monthly chat thread and let us know how your day is going
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #3  

Hi Esparkles

Hope you find the support and motivation here. Former primary (elementary) teacher, here. Must admit I put most of my weight on when teaching as we have a pretty awful and high pressure 'national curriculum' here in the UK, and like many UK teachers I never got a lunch hour. I'd have to spend it grading papers at my desk, planning, doing paperwork (thanks to the government!) so could never get a proper meal. Must have gained a couple of stone in my first year teaching, purely because I had to grab a bag of crisps and other junk. I'd know how to go about it now, but when I was teaching, my diet was appalling!

My dad had cancer for 7 years and finally died last year. In 2005-6, I lost 40lb (all I needed to lose) working hard at it on the diet and exercise front, using 3FC and Fitday. Then my dad was rushed into hospital, literally just as I'd lost the weight, and things went out of control again. I have only gone up one dress size (and I originally went down 5!) but it's been nearly a year since he passed away and only now have I begun to get it together. It's the hardest thing in the world when someone you love is fighting for their life, your own health goes on a back burner. Dad was so proud of me losing the weight and told me in front of everyone, that first time he was rushed into hospital, when we weren;t sure he was going to make it. Looking back, I wish I'd just kept on track and treasured my own heath and achievement, and kept it going. Just wanted to share that so you know you're not alone, love.

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 02-18-2008 at 04:48 AM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote