Old 02-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #1  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

Unhappy Induction and Protein

Hi All,
I've been on Induction for one week and I have only lost 1lb. I have been trying numerous diets and been to a nutritionist for months and haven't lost anything. I'm not cheating on Induction and I go to the gym 5 days a week.

Can anyone help? Also can eating too much protein covert the extra to fat?
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Sara - Are you testing yourself with the Ketostix? If so, is it turning pink/purple? This is a good indicator on whether you are burning fat instead of carbs. Looks like you are not far from goal as well. I find that whenever I get close to goal...my weight loss averages about 4-5 lbs per month! Sometimes, I'll go for 4 weeks...no loss...and then BAM!!!...5lbs gone.

To answer your question...any food taken in excess of expended energy can store as fat. Why don't you post an average daily meal for you? Perhaps myself or many of the "Atkins' experts" here will be able to help find out if you are doing something wrong. Also, be careful of hidden sugars (i.e., processed meats, maltitol in sugar free deserts (which can stall you), excessive salt (which can make you retain water), and of course PMS (which can start you storing water for a week before TOM), etc. How much water (plain) do you intake daily? There are several variables that can contribute to the scale not moving, but if the scale is moving slowly for you, it could just be that your losing fat, and sometimes your body just needs time to adjust and the scale will eventually follow. Hope this helps. Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #3  
Cookie??!?!!

Well I basically want to lose 20 lbs. I drink so much water it makes me sick. I hate water but I chug it down.

Here is basically my day:
Breakfast: Omelet
Lunch: Chx Wings not breaded or a Salad
Snack before 90 min workout: Cheese or Protein Shake
Dinner: Steak and Veggie

I definitely look at the labels for sugar alcohols and stay away from those.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #4  
banned

Aaaaah haaa!!! By golly...I think I've definately found your problem! Your diet is extemely light on calories. You seem to be eating the right foods...just not enough. I too hate water and force myself so good on that front. Perhaps try adding a great big ol' salad to go with those chix wings!! yummmmmmy! Larger portions maybe...and don't forget...DO NOT SKIMP ON THE FAT!! On Atkins, you really do need fat...that is what you'll be burning instead of sugar..so don't starve your body of that.

Overall though...it sounds like your doing fine and cuz your so close to goal, your body may just need a little more time to catch up on the scale. Check out the Low-Carb Frequently Asked Questions...it talks about stalls and details the whole process the body goes through during the first 5-6 weeks. It's really helpful and may explain it a little better than I can. Most important!...DON'T GIVE UP...YOU WILL LOSE THE FAT (WEIGHT) IN TIME, EVEN IF THE SCALE DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE NUMBERS YOU WANT RIGHT AWAY! Joyce
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #5  
Cookie??!?!!

Thanks Joyce. Im really frustrated that things havent worked out. I just feel like Im eating a lot of calories.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Sarae,

I agree with Joyce....I don't think you're eating enough. You should be concentrating on veggies (the ones on the acceptable foods list) & salad... 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming in the form of these.

Cheese can be a common staller for some people, you may want to cut back on that & see if that helps.

I've also found that eating protein with my 3 meals keeps me full & has helped my weight loss.

As far as water...drink up!

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #7  
Cookie??!?!!

Oohhhh the love thing I love ...cheeeseeee. Oh the humanity of giving it up!
Thanks Jersey
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #8  
banned

Sara - Here's the quote from FAQ's I told you about. P.S. I don't think Jerseygyrl meant "give up cheese"...just make sure your not getting too much cheese...hey...a girl's gotta live...one step at a time...hey??? smile.
READ THIS...VERY HELPFUL...You haven't failed...(only 1 week into it)...

Common patterns of weight loss

From tracking a *lot* of people who become assimilated into the lowcarb lifestyle
(hehe...resistance is futile!) a pattern emerges....

the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported.

This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this.

OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks.

Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each! So... what gives?

Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin antidiuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occuring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing. From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging.

Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself ) is helpful.

Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet.

By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited. Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight.(whichever is the lower number)

Take-home message: Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occuring. Don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Dr. Atkins didn't consider it a true stall unless it has been 4 weeks without a loss on the scale or in inches. You may not notice a difference on the scale...but...you can still be losing inches
Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarae878 View Post
Oohhhh the love thing I love ...cheeeseeee. Oh the humanity of giving it up!
Thanks Jersey
I'm not saying you need to give it up entirely....you just might want to cut back on it to see if it effects your loss. I learned very early on that I must limit cheese to 1 to 2 oz. or it stalls me....especially cream cheese.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #11  
Cookie??!?!!

ok so I did an estimate on calories per day

Breakfast: Omelet 280
Lunch: Chx Wings w/ Sauce (sauce doesn't have carbs) 750
Dinner: Steak and veggie - Steak is about 168 per every 3 oz
Snack: Runs about 300 Cals

So I don't think I'm eating too few cals. I think I'm eating foods that stall like too much chz. ill try adding more veggies and salads/
Old 02-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #12  
banned

That sounds great!!! I think when you add more raw vegetation to your diet you'll definately see a big difference. Stay in touch...Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarae878 View Post
ok so I did an estimate on calories per day

Breakfast: Omelet 280
Lunch: Chx Wings w/ Sauce (sauce doesn't have carbs) 750
Dinner: Steak and veggie - Steak is about 168 per every 3 oz
Snack: Runs about 300 Cals

So I don't think I'm eating too few cals. I think I'm eating foods that stall like too much chz. ill try adding more veggies and salads/
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? Have you been to the website to read the information available about induction or to look at the foods you need during inductions? Remember, you are supposed to get a minimum of 20 grams of carbs, after deducting for fiber. You should never go lower than 20 net grams of carbs.

Good luck. The scale will move, you just have to know the path and stay the course.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote