Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #1  
Motivated to Succeed!

S/C/G: 190/186/120

Height: 5' 5"

Cool Hashimotos, PCOS, Adrenal Fatigue and still Breastfeeding....Talk about OBSTACLES!

I am new to this community but I am in desperate need of accountability. Would you mind if I join you?? Here is my story...

I have been trying for 6 years to lose weight (since my second child was born). I weighed 120 when getting pg with my first child. She was born almost 12 years ago and I easily got back to my ppg weight and kept it off for 5 years before having my second child. After she was born I worked my butt off with exercise and diet and it took forever for me to lose anything but I finally got down to 153 (after starting at 178) before getting pg with my third baby. After he was born I got back down to 153 before conceiving our fourth baby and he was born 2 years ago this month. My sister married 5 months after he was born so at 6 weeks PP I started working out and following the South Beach Diet. I lost 25 lbs and got down to 165 in 4 months. That is around 1 1/2 lbs a week. Not too bad.

Last May (2007) I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease (an autoimmune disorder which attacks your thyroid and tries to kill it) and Severe Adrenal Fatigue. I gained about 15 lbs back because I was put on Armour Thyroid which didn't work for me at all!! I was also diagnosed in 2003 with PCOS. I am not on anything like Glucophage. My OB has me taking CLA to help with the insulin resistance.

I've been working with an OB/GYN who is brilliant in these areas and treats holistically as much as possible. I am still on Levoxyl and T3 for my thyroid and am on a huge amount of supplements but I get my T3 and supplements from a compound pharmacy which mixes most of them for me.

I have had a really hard time losing weight because of these issues. Even when I was working out 1 - 1 1/2 hours 5-6 days a week, I wasn't losing more than 1# a week (if THAT - because many weeks I lost NOTHING) but would easily stall and couldn't break past that amount. In fact, in the last year when I start eating healthy (cutting out ALL simple carbs, ALL sugar and starchy veggies) I can only lose 8-10 lbs pretty quickly and then I stop and can't lose anything for months. It is incredibly depressing.

My youngest just turned 2 (Feb 2nd). He is still nursing though I can tell in the last few weeks that he is only doing it for comfort now only occasionally and I can also tell my milk supply has dropped tremendously because he is more easily distracted by other things. I don't know what my body will do once he weans completely (which I allow him to do on his own) because I've been pg or nursing for the last 7 years. I don't think I've gone longer than 2 months between weaning and getting pg. I've taxed my adrenals to no end and am hoping that with continued supplementation and healthy eating, I will restore them so that I can lose weight more easily. As it is - I have to fight to no end to lose anything.

In being accountable I want to be 100% transparent in saying I haven't exericsed like I should since the holidays. I've been trying to get my house organized so that I don't feel so guilty spending time doing that and the dis-organization is about to kill me. The only thing I have left is my bedroom, master bath and master closet. I've decided not to wait until they are done to get started with my regular workouts.

I'm currently at 186. I am 5'5" and my goal weight is 120. I have 66# to lose. My plan...

*Food: Follow the Rosedale Diet (which helps people with Leptin issues)

*Exercise: 30 - 60 min of cardio 5 days a week & 20 - 30 min of weights or
resistance bands 3 days a week.

*Water: 100 ounces daily minimum

*Sleep: be in bed by 10:30 pm EVERY night if not earlier!

*Supplements: I take many supplements given by my Dr and I plan to take them without fail!

*Meds: Levoxyl 75 mcgs and T3 22.5 mcgs daily

Does anyone here struggle with any of the same health issues I do?
How have you been doing with your weight loss?
What fitness and food plans have you used?
Have you noticed it has been hard to take the weight off even with using the Thyroid meds?

All the best to everyone in reaching your goals! Thank you for allowing me to join you!
notwhoioncewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I don't really have any of the same issues as you although the do once suspected I had pcos and I am also nursing. I wanted to wlecome you to the board and offer my support! I have about the same amoutn of weight to lose so if you are looking for a partner for the journey I would be happy to keep up with you. I have 3 kids and am hoping to lose weight b4 trying for the 4th.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #3  
Motivated to Succeed!

S/C/G: 190/186/120

Height: 5' 5"

Wink

Thank you SO much, both for the welcome and the offer of accountability! I would LOVE to be partners with you!!!

It sounds like we are in very similar places in life. We have debated on whether or not to have a 5th baby and I'm trying desperately to get into better physical shape because *IF* we decide to give it 6 months and see if I get pg, I don't want to get pg like this. I've had placental issues with 3 of my 4 kids and 1 early miscarriage so I don't want to run any additional risks if I can get healthier and possibly prevent them or be in a better place to cope with them when they come. My last 2 pgs I was on major restrictions (just shy of bedrest) because of Placenta Previa. The 3rd baby I was finally cleared at 28 weeks and the last baby I was 33 weeks before it resolved. Both babies were born at 37 weeks so I didn't have much time after the Previa resolved before I delivered.

How old are your kids?

Baileigh is my oldest girl, is almost 12
Macie is 6 1/2
Wyatt is 4 1/2 and
Jessamy (our youngest son) just turned 2

So what are you doing to reach your goals? Are you following a specific food plan? Are you using a set kind of workout plan or routine?

I'm always interested in learning how others are being successful because I know so many different things work for different people.

I really look forward to getting to know you better! Thanks so much again!
notwhoioncewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #4  

Wow! Your story could be mine, except I have 10 kids and sarcoidosis an autoimmune disease that affects my lungs and causes high blood calcium which ruins the kidneys. I have had it for almost 30 yr. but ignored it for 25. Almost 3 yr. ago it came back and I nearly went into kidney failure. I now take prednisone and will probably for life. Actually, my pregnancies probably helped because at that time you have naturally higher levels of steroids. I've lost 20lb in the last 2 yr. with 40 to go. I'm almost 59 yr. old.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote