Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #1  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

Red face Kick me please!

Alright, I knew it would happen eventually....

For the past month, I consistently lost 2.2lbs per week. I felt like it was slow, but healthy, so I'd take it. This week, I only lost 1.2lbs. Which put me where I wanted to be (I'm able to say that I lost 10lbs before my vacation), but at the same time, I feel disappointed.

I know it's ridiculous. A loss is still a loss, after all, and I should be happy with it. I think I know what I did wrong this week, after all, and the next step of just moving on with more knowledge is the only logical one to take.

But, probably lots of you can relate: these bumps in the road are tough to take sometimes. And I fear that I might be letting the scale dictate how I feel too much lately, rather than deciding how I feel about myself based on how cleanly I'm eating, etc and then jumping on the scale to see the week's result.

I guess I just want someone to grab me by the shoulders and shake me! Maybe then I'll remember that I'm supposed to be HAPPY with a loss, rather than riddled with self-doubt and fear.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #2  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

I'll gladly give you a kick in the

You lost weight and met your goal! Stop being so hard on yourself... if you won't do the happy dance, I'll do it for you

Be good to yourself
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #3  

You already got your kick -- but think, it put you at your goal. You are doing great. Any loss is headed in the right direction. Now you can enjoy your vacation without feeling bad about not meeting your goal -- you did it you lost the 10 lbs!!!

Last edited by shelby897; 02-07-2008 at 12:05 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Wouldn't it just be lovely if the moment we make changes, all the weight melts off first? Like it anticipates how we'll keep doing these healthy things so it says "Okay then, I've done my job, I'm out of here!"

It can seem soooo sloooooow when it's your weight you're losing, but in all honesty, you've lost a good deal of weight already! And at a normal, healthy rate.

I, too, have moments where I've made a goal, but then just thought "But why isn't all of it gone, yet? >_<" We just have to give ourselves a little reality check.

You've done well. Enjoy the moment & keep on going!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I hate it when I come to expect a certain amount of weight loss on the scale. It's so disheartening when it's not as high as I would've like to have seen. I just remind myself this is something I'm going to do for the rest of my life and that ## on the scale for that day is but one day in the rest of my life. I'll have other days to see lower ##s as long as I continue to eat healthy and exercise.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #6  

I totally understand how you feel! Even though I didn't gain all the weight at once, I want it all off NOWWWWWWW!!!! It's very daunting to think I must stick to healthy eating as a way of life. This is not a diet, this is how I eat now, and I need to do it forever or I"ll end up right back where I started.

You're doing great!!!

Hugs,
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

OK, hold up a minute here.

You lost 1.2 lbs in a week. That is considered a VERY healthy rate of loss...and still pretty fast, in my opinion, comparatively.

Your losses are definitely not going to continue at 2 lbs a week or more for your entire journey...it just isn't feasible. In fact, toward the end, you'll likely be well under a lb a week, since you'll be so close to goal. If you are judging your self-worth by the amount your scale drops each week, you're setting yourself up for greater and greater disappointment as you move closer to goal, simply because your body can't lose that fast as you get smaller.

So take a step back and remember what you're doing here...and then congratulate yourself on a week well done.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie76 View Post
It's very daunting to think I must stick to healthy eating as a way of life. This is not a diet, this is how I eat now, and I need to do it forever or I"ll end up right back where I started.
Ain't that the truth?!?! It is pretty daunting to think that this is how we have to be forever, but on the other hand once you come to that realization, it's kind of a relief. Like we've figured it out - and we've ACCEPTED it. This is just the way it has to be.

But rest assured, over time, it DOES become habit and it DOES become second nature. That's not to say that there aren't struggles sometimes, because, well - there is. But now it's so firmly planted in my head, that I know struggles or not, this is just he way it HAS to be. The alternatives are no longer acceptable.

Anyway, aerotigergirl, I don't think it's a kick you're in need of, but if you are - well here's an extra one for ya - , I think it's reassurance that you're after. And if it's not I apologize, but if it is - well rest assured. YOU ARE DOING MARVELOUSLY!!!! Simply marvelous. You couldn't ask for a better rate of weight loss. Even if we do the same exact thing week after week after week, exercise wise and food wise (though we can't), we would most likely get 3 different results. Our bodies just aren't THAT precise. You're doing great, just great. Whether the scale says so or not. I quite frankly, think it says you ARE doing great, but anyway - As long as you stay on plan, you WILL lose weight - you WILL get to your goal. An instant gratifaction kind of a thing - weight loss ISN'T. But hold on tight. Because before you know it, the time will pass, the pounds will be shed and you will thrilled, beyond belief thrilled. And boy oh boy is it gratifying.

Weight loss is a DOABLE thing and you my dear - are doing it!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #9  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Don't get down about a 1.2 lb loss. It's still a good loss for just one week. And next week you might be right back up to 2.2 lbs a week. I have noticed that my weight loss has a weird pattern. One week I lose about 1 lb, then the next week I lose 3 lbs, then 1 lb, then 3lbs, and so on. I have no idea why my body does that but it does. So don't expect your body to lose at the same rate every week. Some weeks you may not lose at all but just keep on going because it will come off.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #10  

Relax, you are doing wonderful.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #11  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Thanks so much for the kicks (aka words of encouragement in my time of self-doubt), everyone! I really needed them.

You're all so very right. 1.2lbs is a great number! And I should not have let my insecurity and self-doubt cloud my vision, as it was a time to celebrate! I lost 10lbs before my vacation! Which is exactly what I wanted to do, and I did it! That is a reason for celebration. Thank you all for reminding me to keep a little perspective.

While on vacation, I had trouble keeping track of my WW points, so I was really worried about my weight when I returned... I was expecting to see a HUGE number on the scale (I had a little peach cobbler last night, for crying out loud!)... but, the scale was VERY nice to me tonight. It's not an official weigh-in, but it's one that I can be happy with going forward to my next weigh-in on Thursday!

Thank you all again so much!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #12  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

ANY loss is an amazing accomplishment. I think you've figured that out, but sometimes you just need someone to point it out. Heck, even maintaining is better than putting anything back on!

You've done an amazing job, and you should be so proud of that!

Do NOT let a bunch of stupid numbers dictate the way you feel about yourself and your accomplishments! You've busted TAIL to get to where you are, and that shouldn't ever be minimized!
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'3"

You are doing awesome, congrats
AnnCan1111 is offline   Reply With Quote