Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Valentines chocolate

What do you all do for Valentine's Day? Do you eat any chocolate? In the past, I always used to go out and buy myself a big 2lb box of chocolates and eat them all myself. I know that's gross. I have a thing about those boxes of chocolates though. My Dad used to give them to my Mom when I was a kid, and I always wanted some and she would just snarl at me and say "They're MINE!!" Once in awhile I would get one. But usually not. When I grew up I bought whole boxes of them and ate them all...

I know now why I used to do this so I have been able to avoid it for about 2 years now. But when I see them in stores or commercials I get this really horrific longing to buy a box and eat them. I know V-day is coming up and lately I have been obsessed with the idea of those stupid boxed chocolates.

Do you guys indulge at all? I wonder if I should just power through it and not eat any. I also thought about buying a smaller box and sharing it with the whole family (5 kids/DH). I do better when then chocolates have a "map" with them so I can pick, say, 3 chocolates that are my favorite and then give the rest away. Rather than eating them all to find out whats inside.

I dunno, I have been "maintaining" for 2 months now and I guess if I want to lose weight I should avoid the chocolates.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007
I dunno, I have been "maintaining" for 2 months now and I guess if I want to lose weight I should avoid the chocolates.
That's right. That's exactly what you should do. It sounds like you are not the kind of person who can have "just one," so it's better that you not even start.

It's sad that you formed such a bad habit--too bad your mom was so mean--but the only way to break this is not to do it. The day may come in the future when you can have "a" chocolate without eating a whole box, but that's probably not here yet.

You hang in there!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #3  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Since you've been able to not do it for 2 years now I say continue on breaking the tradition!

We haven't done anything for V-day for years. I was never into the day actually and trained Dh to think the same way.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #4  

If you're like me, you aren't actually craving the chocolate, it's the whole "forbidden food" concept -- my mom was the same way -- if she wasn't hidding food from us, she was sharing it only so that she could tell our dad that "she didn't eat it all herself!!". So, I say stay strong, make it through the day and by the 15th the feeling will go away -- good luck!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Don't buy them!!!! Leave them in the store. If they're not in your home, well then you can't eat them. Sure they taste good - for a second or so - but then what? It's over and done with and the affects will last a LOOOONG time. You will be so thrilled with yourself when you do without them. You CAN do this. You don't need them. Don't look at it as doing without and being deprived. Look at it as treating your body and yourself with the respect that you deserve. You DESERVE to be a healthy weight. You don't need that sugar filled chocolate mess. Really.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

It's probably best for you to avoid the boxes of chocolates all together. Especially if you feel it may be an "all or nothing" situation.

Valentine's day is nice, but it's not really special. So, no reason really for me to indulge
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #7  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

I say avoid, avoid, avoid eating them.

It's kind of funny, but I'm totally like you. As soon as I had my own money, I bought whole boxes of chocolate like that and hid them in my room. I ALWAYS wanted some of my mother's when I was little, but never got any. =/

I would say, don't have any. Think of it as the Box of Chocolate Past.

And maybe get a new habit? Like making strawberries dipped into melted dark chocolate. =D
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #8  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

No chocolates for me. I've been eating chocolate like it's going out of business and now is the perfect time to get a hold of myself and say no when temptation is everywhere. Maybe then I can have an easier time during every day situations?

AT ANY RATE, I'm with you, I've maintained for the past 2 months, and in a few days last week I gained 5 to 7 pounds... in THIN air. I'm hoping it some water weight that will drop off signifigantly, but it's time to get back in business, and I'm NOT letting any more stupid holidays spoil it for me, I already let Thanksgiving and Christmas throw me off. What I've realized is that every few months there is some occasion that requires a bunch of junk food. You have to say no sometime, might as well do it now. That's what I'm going to try. NO MORE. I am tired of this.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Lyn,

Here are my thoughts on the Valentine's Day chocolate. We are learning how to eat for the rest of our lives. Do you want to say goodbye to occasional special treats for the rest of your life? I believe that moderation is the best plan. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a planned treat. However, I would not bring a big box of chocolate into the house. Can you ask Hubby to buy you a special small box with 3-4 pieces for you? How about a very special chocolate candy from Godiva or maybe 2-3 pieces of very special chocolate from a candy shop? Don't waste your treat on low grade chocolate.....you deserve to pamper yourself with the best as this is a once in a long while event.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #10  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I usually keep a SMALL box in the freezer (8 pieces or so). Then take a week to eat them. One a day after dinner and that's it.

But I've never really been totally addicted to chocolate... so it's hard to say how other people can react with it around the house.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I usually don't keep chocolate in the house. However, when I want some, I go buy a very small amount and eat it as slowly as I can (and NOT in the car!). A local gas station sells single portions of Hershey Miniatures. I'll get one of the dark chocolates whenever I have a chocolate jones.Then I count it in my daily totals.

If I were you I would not bring any in the house - it's just too tempting. Also...if eating any amount of chocolate might cause a binge....don't do it. Not worth it.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-07-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I don't know if there are others like me, but on holidays involving candy, I eat what I want of it. It's only 4 times a year (Christmas, V-day, Easter, and Halloween) that I go crazy with it. At all other times of the year, I still eat chocolate and candy, but very moderately. My great aunt (and sometimes my mom) gives me a big bag of candy for all of those holidays. And I eat the whole bag. And I eat whatever else that comes my way too. My mom already told me she has "something" for me for valentine's day. I'm sure it's something sweet and edible. It does a few pounds of damage, but I get it off within a week or two. It really doesn't make any sense for me to do that, but it's the only times I ever over-indulge on candy. I used to eat at least 2 or 3 candy bars EVERY day. And laffy taffy and suckers were always around. My car was always full of candy wrappers. And when the holidays were around, not only would I eat the candy given to me, I would go out and buy my own. After the holiday was over, I'd clear out the candy on clearance. So it is an improvement.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #13  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I think everyone had good points. What it comes down to is your personality. If I don't allow myself any treats I will end up binging on these "bad" foods. Other people may binge because they allow themselves a treat. I would ask your husband to get you just one serving of your favorite chocolate. That way you can eat the whole thing but not go overboard and not feel deprived.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think I agree that you shouldn't buy a big box. If you want a treat, go to your local candy Store (we have Fannie May). And buy yourself ONE piece and enjoy it. But let it end at that!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

My mom used to buy me chocolate for valentines when I was a kid but since then I've never had valentines day chocolate.

I do love chocolate though and I indulge in dark chocolate. I would definitely not recommend buying a big box of chocolate.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote