Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Not a lot to lose - and it's hard!

I tried other diet plans before deciding to try just counting calories. I am finding it not as restrictive so far and thus easier to follow...but since I only have about 15 to 20 lbs. to lose, I find that unless I cut my calorie intake to about 1200, I don't lose. 1200 is not a lot of calories, so I am finding it very hard to plan my meals so I don't go over. And I am hungry - it's 10 to 10 in the morning, I am at work, and I've already had my breakfast and 70 calorie morning snack. I'll probably eat my bread slice at 11 and have the rest of my lunch during my lunch break at noon. Then I won't eat until dinner, at which time I'll be ravenous, but no calories left over for an evening snack. I'm planning to taken an introductory Zumba class tonight, so I saved calories for a snack afterward, because I'll probably need it. Any suggestions?
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/159/140

Height: 5'11"

I too keep my calories really low and I don't have a problem finding tons of snacky-stuff to eat.

1 cup mixed fruit (60 calories)
1/2 whole wheat english muffin with 1T peanut butter (140 calories)
celery and 1/8 cup low fat humus (100 calories)
1/4c almonds (140 calories)
30 goldfish (65 calories)
1/4c fat free yogurt (49 calories)
trail mix bar (140 calories)
Gorton's frozen Grilled Salmon (100 calories)
tuna (90 calories)

I eat breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and sometimes dessert (like a 100 calorie fat free pudding cup)... I'm never hungry!

Good luck - it's all about finding what works for you!
plslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

It's very dependent on what you're eating, as well. Are you taking in enough fruits, vegetables, protein, and good fats? What's an average day for you?

Also, you may have an easier time raising your calories and adding weight lifting and cardio.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

It's all about working with volume (veggies, veggies and more veggies!) and making sure you allot sufficient calories for lean proteins and a small quantity healthy fats. Protein, fiber and volume through veggies really are the best bet for not being constantly hungry on a low-cal diet. If you're newish to calorie counting, it can take a while to figure out the best eating plan for you, and sometimes it requires messing with macronutrients.

Would you like to post a daily menu so that we can offer advice?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

As your weight gets lower, you have a harder time losing at the rate of 1 to 2 pounds per week. You may need to settle for a slower rate. 1 pound a week would be tough, but 1/2 pound a week would not be so hard. One must stay pretty strictly on program, though.

By the way, have you visited the Featherweights forum? It's for those with less weight to lose--either to begin with or because they are close to goal.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Try to eat closer to 1300-1400 cals. Do you exercise? Do you drink water? Try 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weight training. It's all about baby steps. First walk a little, then add more exercise each day until you've reached an hour. It doesn't have to be all at once. Drink 8 glassses or more of water each day. That really fills you up and is good for you. As an example, for breakfast you might eat a protein, carbohydrate and some fat... like an egg, toast and butter. Maybe add a fruit. For lunch, you might try protein, veggies, maybe a carbohydrate like bread and a fruit. Do the same for dinner. You can add other in-between healthy snacks like yogurt, fruits, veggies or other things that round out your cals for the day. I always plan my day as soon as I wake up and I eat 1300-1400 cals. Actually, you can have anything you like as long as it's healthy and adds up to the number of cals you want.

I like plslade's snack ideas.

Good luck to you, Thin. It's all about trial and error and what works best for you. I hope this helps.

Dena
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

It sounds like you and I are trying to lose the same weight. I've noticed that it is pretty slow going - about a pound every 10 days. I know its not alot, but its consistent. I can't do 1200 cals a day - its just not enough. So I eat a little more and exercise. Also I depend on veggies alot. Filling and low in cals.
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Here's my menu from yesterday (I keep a food journal):

Breakfast: Boca Southwest Wrap, 200 calories
Grapefruit Juice: 75 calories
Coffee

Morning snack: Activia Light Yogurt, 70 calories
Afternoon snack: Kashi Bar, 140 calories

Lunch: Salad with grilled chicken, 100 calories
Caesar Light Dressing, 35 calories
Homemade whole wheat bread, estimated at 100 calories
Clementine, 40 calories

Dinner: Chicken breast with peaches, 250 calories
Brown rice, 1/2 cup, 80 calories
Broccoli
Jell-o diet pudding, 70 calories

Post-exercise snack: whole wheat toast with a smear of peanut butter, estimated at 125 calories

Total 1285

I did find at the gym last night that I had lost 3 lbs. since Sunday (it's my first week).
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Congrats, Thin. Keep up the great work! And your journal looks fabulous.
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Congrats on the loss!

If you find yourself hungry, you might want to consider dropping the fruit juice and replacing with something heartier, even as part of an afternoon snack. Drinking my calories just doesn't fill me up, ever! For that amount of calories, you could add an afternoon snack of sliced veggies and some low-cal dip, which might keep you fuller, longer.

Also, peanut butter is a calorie-dense food. If you're finding yourself hungry, you might want to try exchanging it for something less dense, so you can get a bigger volume for the same number of calories, keeping your stomach fuller, longer!

As Baffled said, it is all about playing with volume.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It looks to me like you are doing just great!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote