Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #1  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Default Do calories still count if I "lose" them?

I'm 6 wks pregnant and just had my first bought of morning sickness. Ugh. Anyway, I'm tracking my calories to make sure I'm staying in a healthy range and I wondered if I should count the calories I, umm, lost. I lost my breakfast maybe 30 minutes after eating it, so it wasn't digested yet.
Thanks for helping my curiosity.

Last edited by booskibabe; 02-05-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: to fix the title
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

Yes you need to count them. There is no way to know how much you might have lost and actually taken in.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/145

Height: 5' 6.5"

Although stomach-emptying times vary based on the size and composition of the meal, you're probably right that most of what you ate hadn't made it into your gut by 30 minutes after breakfast. But you probably also didn't lose the entire contents of your stomach. Long story short, it's really hard to calculate how much of what you ate you actually ended up absorbing.

If it were me, I'd just gauge it by how you feel. If, come lunch time, you're hungrier than usual, I'd eat a little more than usual. I know that doesn't help you come up with a number for the day, but it should at least keep you in a similar range to where you were before.

Hope you're feeling better soon!!
coldbrightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I agree I would count them but also keep in mind you lost some of them. During pregancy eat when you are hungry and watch what you eat. Hope you are feeling better soon!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I'd probably still count them, but only count 2/3 of what I actually ate.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I am a nutrition major and study these types of things, during pregnancy you need to GAIN weight at a steady pace, ideally gaining 15-30 lbs depending on your pre-pregnancy weight. You need to gain weight throughout your pregnancy (ie if you gain 40 lbs in the first month you all of a sudden cannot stop gaining, just need to slow the rate of gain). Most women do not follow the gaining recommendations. I would recommend seeing a dietitian, who can tell you how many calories you should be consuming, how much you should gain and at what pace. Also to make sure your getting all the nutrients you need.
Best of luck with your pregnancy and congrats.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

A lot depends on what you consider a healthy range. You're pregnant, and the first trimester's nutrition is extremely important. Are you taking a prenatal vitamin? Folic acid (a B vitamin) is extremely important during pregnancy (and even before conception, ideally as a deficiency can cause miscarriage and birth defects).

The severity of your morning sickness would also make a difference (whether it lasts all day, and you throw up every meal). I think this is a question you would be better off asking your ob/gyn who would know your situation better.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #8  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Thanks for all the encouragement.
[B]kaplods[B]- Yup, I'm taking a prenatal given to me by my doc.
Catherine - I haven't checked with a dietician, but I asked my OBGYN about it and he gave me a calorie range he thinks would be good for me.

I guess the general consesus is to count them, so I will. Thanks again for the help.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

booskibabe - after I found out I was pregnant I went to a nutritionist for a diet plan and calorie recommendations. For my height (5'3") and weight (~135) at the time she recommended 1500 cals/day in the first trimester and to up it to 1800/day in the second & third trimesters. I breastfed and she recommended starting at 1800/day and adjust as needed during breastfeeding. Might help, might not but thought I'd share. Congrats on the baby!
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #10  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

ive read you need to add 300 calories to your diet from the four month but if you have morning sickness add that 300 earlier . Dont be to strict with your selfeat when your hungry the more healthy food you eat the better you will feel at the end of the day . I had 1 great pregnancy where i didnt puke once and one dreaded one where there wasn't a day , hour ,meal or smell that didnt make me chuck lol.. I hope you have normal morning sickness that will buzz off fast ..lol

hope you feel better soon and congratualtions on your little bundle of joy
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote