Old 02-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Question What Do You Eat For Breakfast?

The with increase in egg prices here in Hollywood [we're up to $2.80 for 18] I am finding alternative acceptable breakfast foods. I was just wondering what others eat for breakfast, if anything at all.

I make BLT's with romaine lettuce for bread. I also make CLT's [BLT with chicken]. I even started having a big salad with chicken or steak. I've even started having leftover dinner.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Anything I might have at any other time of the day! The other day, I had a bowl of vegetable soup for breakfast

Even with the increase in egg prices, I still find them to be one of the cheapest foods I can have frequently. I am kind of sick of scambled eggs or omelettes, but I am big into egg salad right now. I also like to cook some eggs over easy and serve on top of ham and cheese.

I'm also very into turkey sausage links. Pre-carb-watching, I would eat them with honey mustard. Now, I eat them with a piece of the spreadable Laughing Cow light cheese (I like the French Onion flavor).

There are also times when I'm running late and just crunch on some pistachios in the car on my way to work.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 130/103/107

Height: 5'3"

I have eggs. But to be honest with ya, $2.80 is really cheap. It's about .18 cents an egg. Even if it went higher in price, I wouldn't think a 2nd thought.

Last edited by LittlePaperStars; 02-03-2008 at 04:59 PM.
LittlePaperStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/223/127

Height: 5'7"

Here in NC a dozen eggs are $2.63 to $2.77 so I know what you mean. I started my diet on January 30th of 2007. And every day since then I am having one boiled egg for breakfast with only salt and pepper sprinkled on it plus some Israeli Salad with it. The Israeli Salad is one cucumber chopped up in tiny pieces with the skin on for fiber etc... and then one half of a tomato chopped finely as well and one half of a small onion diced very finely. Then one tablespoon of olive oil, course sea salt, course black pepper, vinegar and even some lemon juice and parsley. And I eat a small bowl of that salad with my egg each morning so far. I plan to weigh on March 1st. My starting weight is around 224 and I'm five feet six and a half inches tall.
limeswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

This isn't very low carb but I have fruit for breakfast. I am doing low carb but not extreme low carb. So for me the fruit works.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

two boiled eggs. Eggs are the cheapest protien food here in Nova Scotia. Nothing else sticks with me like eggs do. Theyre also fairly low in calories overall.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I make a breakfast casserole that I eat on all week. It contains eggs, sausage, heavy cream, cheese, mushrooms and green peppers.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Goal 150 ~ 21lbs down

Height: 5'6"

I want to know where I can find 18 eggs for less than $3! I think I pay over $4 actually. Apparently we have designer chickens in Maryland.

As for breakfast I eat the same thing every morning: 2 egg whites (I just don't like yolks) and 3 pieces of bacon. How boring, right? I know my answer isn't much help, but I guess I just haven't gotten sick of it yet.
CrabbyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #9  
Another pound down!

S/C/G: 181/175/150

Height: 5'2"

As part of my plan I'm supposed to have 2 bacon and 2 eggs, but this morning I had 2 bacon and a few cubes of cheese.

I also have 1 cup of grapefruit juice with it.

I'm about to make some hard boiled eggs -- yummy!
grapefruitisgrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/190/150

Height: 5'1

I have another question regarding food..... how many meals do you have a day?

I have my 3 meals (breakfast, lunck and dinner) plus two snacks, sometimes one. The snack I always have is in between breakfast and lunch, I tend to be hungrier in the morning than in the afternoon. For breakfast I usually have a protein shake, so my mid morning snack will be a boiled egg and cheese or string cheese and low carb yogurt.

What do you guys think?
WeightSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

I was paying $1.62 for 18 just four months ago and $1.19 a year ago. Mind you, this is from Costco not a regular grocery store. Eggs are definitely more expensive at the supermarket. I never buy eggs from the supermarket unless they are on sale $1 a dozen. You must have designer chickens laying your eggs in Maryland CrabbyCakes!

Limeswirls - I have had isreali salad and I really love it. I am going to have to make some of that for next week.

Jillybean - You should try raw unsalted almonds or macadamia nuts [Dr. Atkins favorite]. They are almost the perfect balance of protein, fat and carbs. Perfect for us LC'ers. I also have a teensy-weensy love of raw unsalted in-the-shell sunflower seeds. This is one of those hand-to-mouth foods that usually don't have a huge impact becuase there isn't enough time in the day to eat enough of them. Have you noticed a trend here, i.e. raw, unsalted. No salt, no bloating. Somewhere I read that raw nuts were better for your body. If I find a link, I'll post it.

I think I eat about 6-8 times a day. I break up my main meals in two just because it is easier for me to eat a little with the kids and the rest of my food usually an hour later.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #12  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

I generally eat 3 meals a day, and don't often snack - if I do, it's generally a bit of cheese.

Breakfast so far has been scrambled eggs with bacon & mushrooms, poached salmon with poached eggs on a bed of lettuce, smoked mackerel with scrambled eggs - I've even had leftover cauliflower fauxtato with garlic and black pepper and butter and bits of bacon and chicken, or a weekend brunch of steak and eggs and green salad. It varies, but mostly does contain eggs and or bacon.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Sylvia, I just don't care for unsalted nuts, and I won't force myself to eat foods I don't like just because they're healthy. But, no matter, because I no longer buy any kind of nuts at all because I was eating too many--not something that's easy for me to control, so now it's out of my house!

CrabbyCakes, I feel your pain. I think I paid $3.19 for a dozen eggs last night. Granted, they were Eggland's Best instead of store brand/generic, but still. Not sure how much it was for 18, but it would obviously be more than that. Still, though, it's still a relatively cheap food. Until the day they're $6 a dozen (50 cents an egg), I doubt I'll find a cheaper breakfast! And even then, that's only a buck a day for 2 eggs!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Wow! I'm so jealous of all you "egg" people! I can't eat them anymore. I don't know why...but when I turned 30, I just would start upchucking (bla!) every time I would eat, smell or think of an egg! So, unfortunately, I'm limited at breakfast time.

I usually just have 1/2 atkins protein bar and coffee, water, 1 oz NONI juice. Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #15  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I stick to a protein shake and a string cheese......boring I know. But I never liked eating breakfast, and this is the least invasive in the morning.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote