Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/224/170

Height: 5'4

Question Medifast Newbie?..maybe..with questions

Hi Everyone
I am new here and I have been on the Beach for the past couple of weeks with good success. I am down about 7lbs this week.
I have been reading the Medifast threads and I think I want to give it a shot.
It sounds like the results are amazing and it doesn't seem to be to hard to do, I work full-time and have 2 kids so not having to think about breakfast and lunches for myself, for a month sounds very inviting.
I just wanted to get some opinions from ya'll, are you REALLY satisfied with the ease of the program, the taste of the food and your results?
Would you reccommend Medifast?
Is it worth the money?
I would be stretching my budget to get on the program, but I feel like I am worth it...finally!
So I would really appreciate any imput.
Thank ladies...

P.S. How do you move your weight ticker thingy??

Last edited by Stormcrazie; 02-02-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Stormcrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome Storm!

It is easy and very restrictive which makes it easier too. In my first 2 weeks I have dropped 7 lbs but I was dieting before I started and that may have slowed me down a bit. I do think that it averages about 10 lbs a month after the first month and you can do that with other diets. What is great about MF is there it is less likely that I will "cheat" because it is so black and white, you get this and only this.

The food tastes okay but only if you like things like Slimfast. To me, it tastes very close to that. The oatmeal is okay but if you put it in the microwave it gets pasty. You add hot water to it. The bars are very sweet.

You can all and order a few things to try for $2.50 each. That might be worth it. I would try a shake, an oatmeal, a soup and a pudding. Now that I am into my next order, I am ordering mostly shakes, oatmeals and some soups. I don't need the pudding, it's a bit weird. Others love it and have it every day.

If you order say the 4 week plan or 2 week you can try something and if you just use one packet, you can exchange the box for something else.

These are the things that most people complain about but some like:

Cream of broccoli soup
Chai
Vanilla, orange shakes
Chili

The eggs. I think they are fine but if you can have real eggs once a week as your lean, then I don't think I'll order them again. Unless you like eggs every day.

The oatmeal is filling but if you don't like oatmeal now, you won't like it. I love oatmeal and this is okay. Many people don't like the peach, they like the apples and cinnamon. I just ordered peach, I want to try it.

Buy a small scale at Walmart. I was not eating half of the chicken I could have in the beginning. That was a nice surprise! The free shaker that comes is a waste, don't buy it. They do have a big shaker with a shakey thing in it that would be better but the free one is just this cup thing.

Hope everyone else chimes in!

Oh, I spend much less on eating out and at the grocery now.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #3  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrazie View Post
P.S. How do you move your weight ticker thingy??
Hi Becca! Here's a post on how to do the 3FC tickers. The "how to update" part is about halfway down.

Ok, my take on Medifast. Yes, I would recommend it. It was the only diet program that I was able to stick with for a long time. The rapid weight loss gave me that motivation. With other programs I would stick to it for weeks & months only to lose a small amount of weight. I had so much weight to lose that I would lose my motivation over time & give up.

The diet works very well but I really think you really, really have to want to lose weight bad. I say that because although it is a very easy program to follow, it is strict & if you don't follow the program pretty much to the letter you are really wasting your money.

The Medifast diet works on the principles of lower carb, low fat & low calorie where calories are kept under 1000 & carbs under 100g. Going over that & you lose the rapid weight loss benefits. That does sound scary at first but the Medifast folks have really made their program easy to follow with the 5 Medifast meals + 1 healthy meal of lean protein & veggies a day. The meals are nutritionally designed to be complete meal replacements & after a few days you really are not hungry.

For me, the program was a no brainer. By that I mean that for once I didn't have to think about food all the time. I'm one of those who got into trouble food-wise if I had too many choices. Medifast allowed me to step back from that & re-learn proper portion sizes & good food choices. Now that I am close to goal it has become automatic for me to have the right portions & select good foods.

About the taste. Again I'll go back to my comment about really wanting to lose weight bad. During my first few days, the food was really a shock to my palate. It was NOT anything like the foods I was used to eating. How could it be? Each Medifast meal contains ~100 calories. My old meals contained a zillion. It was NOTHING like I was used to...but it was not bad either.

I took a leap of faith & made a commitment to myself to try it for 5 weeks. I ordered the 4 week package (which came w/a free week at the time). I figured I could do ANYTHING for a little over a month. I promised myself that I would follow the program to the letter for that time & see what happened. If after that time I could not stand it or didn't get results, I would then quit (once again) & try something else. I lost 35#s in that first 5 weeks & decided to stick with it. I have now lost over 125#s. My vote is to check out their website & if it seems like something you'd like to do, then give it a try.

Last edited by suesully; 02-02-2008 at 03:45 PM.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/231/160

Height: 5'6

I agree 100% This program is SO worth it! I am a single mom on a very tight budget... It is easy, cheap (about $55/w) and you only have to cook 1 meal a day, which i share with my child! You have no cravings, tons of energy... I love it... I know i can stick with it for a LONG time... pretty much until i reach my goal , which should take a few months... As far as taste, it is not the best food that i ever had... which is why i love cooking with the MF packets to make other foods... I posted the recipes that i make on a weekly basis under MF recipes... On the mymedifast website, they have TONS of recipes... which will help a lot... Some don't taste good to me, but some others are so delicious!!! I guess it is a matter of taste! You are SO worth it! You would think that we make money off this plan.. but we don't! We are just very happy customer... We are a very supportive group in this thread... way better than on the mymedifast website in my own opinion...
Floprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/224/170

Height: 5'4

Thank you all for information....I am going to order Medifast in the morning....now I am so excited I hope it comes sooooon
Stormcrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #6  

I just took the plunge myself and placed an order. I have been trying to win an auction on eBay but hadn't been successful; I couldn't wait any longer!
Zeute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome Zeute! I think you are better off buying it from MF, ebay can be scary and this is food.

brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

This thread really makes me want to order!! I am worried about maintence once you go off the MF though.
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/200/160

Height: 5'8"

on day 3 here. i tried the pudding for the first time. not too bad. the chai was pretty good but much more texture than i expected. the chicken and rice soup was okay if not a little bland. dizziness and mild headaches are the only complaint thus far. (how many carbs in Advil?) after two weeks of task saturation at work and a visit from the grandkids, i'm headed back to Curves on Monday to start my workouts again. hope i dont fall over. am also going to weight watchers with a friend on tuesday. it certainly cant hurt. continued success to you all! (and me too. )

Last edited by aliciawake; 03-27-2008 at 03:18 PM.
aliciawake is offline   Reply With Quote