Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/205/149

Height: 5'7

Talking Forgot to introduce myself...

I've been using the 3FC forum for a couple weeks now but stayed mainly in the lighten up and calorie counter forum. But after reading the 20-somethings forum for a couple days, I feel like I could get a lot more support in here, which I really need this time around. I introduced myself in the general community but figured I should do it here too? Even though I have posted once or twice in here already.

Anywho..my name is Amanda, I'm 23, and recently moved to Columbus, OH. I grew up in Jersey and moved to Amish country, PA when I was in high school. I've been overweight ever since I was about 6 or 7, but only really tried doing something about it when I turned 18. I'm not trying to blame anyone but myself, but whenever I would call myself fat or ask my friends or family if I was overweight, they would ALWAYS say no. Just once I wish somebody would have been honest with me instead of helping me stay in denial about my weight issues.

For the past 5 years I've been going up and down with my weight. Finally last October I got down to my lowest I could ever remember being at 183, losing almost 60 lbs. But when my husband and I decided to move, I made the mistake of using the big change in our life as an excuse to stop working out and start stuffing my face. Now I've managed to gain back almost 40 lbs in like...2 months, must be some kind of record or something .

We moved out here to start a new life away from all the drama of where we used to live, and I'm hoping that a new life=a new me. In addition to trying to lose the weight again, I've also quit smoking for about a month now, started taking vitamins, and trying to take better care of my whole body: hair, skin, and all. One of my main motivations right now is that DH and I are trying to get preggos.

We've been trying for almost two years now with no luck. It took my sister almost 4 years, several surgeries, and thousands of dollars of treatments to get pregnant, so there is a chance there is something in our genes. We don't really have the money for other methods right now, so I'm hoping that getting my body back in shape and giving myself a more regular cycle will do the trick.

I started using this site because I don't know anybody in RL that can share my weight issues and relate to me. Although I'm finding a lot of good information on here, I'm mainly here to keep myself in check and keep myself accountable. Using the tickers and challenges, I've definately felt motivated so far and hoping to just stay on track now.

If you're even still reading this, sorry if it's a little long . I'm just very excited about this site and everybody on here , and sometimes I don't know when to stop talking.
mandajuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #2  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey Amanda! Yeah, I've seen you around plenty, thanks for introducing yourself!
It sounds like you're making the absolutely awesometastic first step towards straightening out your life and health. The 20-somethings forum is pretty much the best place for support, I've found. There's a real community in here, so.
And yeah, I know what you mean about people keeping you in denial... the number of years people tried to convince me that I just had baby fat...!?!? Ridiculous.
GOOD LUCK on the baby front! It may take time, but I'm sure it will come.

WELCOME and stick around!!
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #3  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

i see your from ohio, me 2 lol i live about hr away fr cleveland. like jelbb said The 20-somethings forum is pretty much the best place for support, I've found. There's a real community in here. so if u need anything let us know
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #4  
No Excuses

S/C/G: 169.8/159/135

Height: 5'4

Holy crap!!!! Hey Amanda I'm new here too, and I'm also from Columbus, OH. Small world huh? I like living here and I hope that'll you'll find a spot here in the forums and in Columbus too
luposlipaphobia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! Thank you for posting such a long intro post here; it's nice to feel like I really know the people on this site on a personal basis.

I totally know how you feel about gaining weight after a move. I moved from Massachusetts to Kentucky (from living near my family to living near his family, basically in a nutshell), and that 1000 mile move made me hungry apparently. But seriously, I pigged out and ate. But mine was because I missed my family and friends back home; I became depressed and resorted to food to fill the empty feeling of missing everyone back home.

Either way, we're all here to help you! I hope you find lots of support here (whether that be in this support group or any other groups out there in this forum), because it's a wonderful place to find inspiration, ideas, and have a cyber-shoulder to lean on when you need it.

What sort of diet plan are you following? How is it going for you so far?

Best of luck!
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/205/149

Height: 5'7

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome already!

To answer your question, as far as my diet goes, I keep track of my calories almost religiously. I even carry around my calorie counter book and take my food scale to people's houses if I know I'm going to be eating there. That usually takes a bit of explaining...

I also cycle my calories between 1200-1800 calories alternating high and low. I used to just keep my calories below 1400 all the time, but not only did my weight loss severely slow down after a couple months, but I was always craving high calorie foods and could never really have them. I try to eat well balanced, lots of veggie and fruits, dairy, protien, and carbs. But having those 1800 days and being allowed to have a candy bar every now and then or a couple of drinks one night really stops me from going crazy and just falling off the diet wagon. Plus, I noticed I even lose the weight faster this way.

As far as exersice, I usually ride a stationary bike every other day for 30-60 minutes and walk on a treadmill for about 20 minutes those other days. I weight train everyday I get a chance, alternating between my core, lower body, and upper body.

Since January 1st, I've lost 15 lbs and I'm already starting to see muscle definition, so I can't really complain . Now hopefully I can just keep things going!
mandajuned is offline   Reply With Quote