Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #1  
how many monkey butlers?

S/C/G: 161.2ish/160/130

Height: 5'5

Default Just starting out... (again)

Hello I'm a long time dieter, LONG time 3fc reader, just decided to join.

A little about me... I did weight watchers a few times as a kid with my mom and would lose a little weight, gain some back, cry, and quit. 3 years or so ago I got out of a really bad relationship. New to the dating scene for the first time since I was *gasp* 15, I realized I had totally let myself go. I went on weight watchers and lost 20ish lbs over a summer, and felt amazing. Plus it was a nice way to stick it to my ex.

Well, 6 lbs from goal, I quit for whatever reason. I thought I was fine on my own. I stopped going to the gym, and over the next 2 years, gained all of it back and then a bit more. SUCKS! I dabbled with WW again within that time, but I could never get completely recommitted and refocused, so it didnt work.

This past october I decided to give WW one last try with 100% effort. Also went to the gym 5ish times a week. I lost weight SLOWLY this time around, usually less then a pound a week, but at least I was loseing. 2 months ad 5 lbs later, we moved, and it completely threw off my schedule. Being a creature of habit, getting off my routine messed up my eating/working out, and withing 3 weeks I gained back 4 lbs. I.was.DEVISTATED!! so hard to take off, so quick to put on. I recommited myself to WW 100%, again, saying no more excuses, I'm all unpacked, lets get back to this. Then weigh in day, last sunday, came around again.... and I gained .2 lbs. Not a lot, but enough to just about kill me after last week... So I decided, while I am not ready to quit Weight watchers, since it had worked so well in the past, I need to do something more.

I had some Slim fasts in the car, so I went to their website and found it very user friendly. I signed up and have been doing Slim fast (1300 calories a day) ever since, modifying it with my own recipes since I dont eat half the things they suggest (recipes, that is). I really enjoy the shakes. The bars... eh not so much, and they are an extra point.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi, I could really use the support that I see around here, and wanted to know if anyone here had success with slim fast and counting calories. What should I expect? I'm holding out on weighing myself since my home-scale lies to me.
ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Welcome!
It sounds like you know what you have to do ...the key is to stay fcused and motivated!! I find coming here is a big help!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #3  

Height: 1.67m

Welcome
I have no experience with Slim fast, but I do believe that counting calories is the way to go (not for everyone, but so many have success with it) no matter what shape or form those calories come in. Apart from the healty choices we all know we need to make for reasons other than our weight, I think picking whatever foods you feel you can stick with in controlled portions is sensible.
Sounds like you are motivated and ready to go!
Best of luck, you can do it!
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

Ortal - welcome, I'm a prior Weight Watchers member too. Had a lot of success and stayed at my goal weight for over 2 years. Then...had a baby - now I can't seem to get myself back into that WW mindset. So, like you I've decided to simply count calories. Good luck!
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

Welcome

Glad you joined us here!

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I have used slimfast off and on for years. Last time I used if I lost 90lbs . It was great...but right after that i had gallbladder disease and I will always wonder if not eating added to my already problem gallbladder. I gained all the weight I had lost while using slimfast back. I do use slimfast still...but only for a quick lunch. I plan my meals the day before and if im having a large dinner its a good way to have a filling lunch. Today I made home made soft shell tacos for lunch and tonight I had a slimfast for dinner. I do notice when i am drinking them that my energy seems to improve...not sure if its from the dieting or from the vitamins in slimfast. The bars have never worked for me or filled me up. The snack bars are just like eating a real candy but but just a little less of one.
Im counting calories and slimfast will be part of my calories from time to time. BUt never again will I drink 2 a day and eat a small meal. I think counting calories is more realistic long term for me, Good luck with it...also call slimfast and ask for coupons.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote