Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #1  
never say never

S/C/G: 215/ticker/165

Height: 5'6

Default hysterectomy anyone?

i had a hysterectomy a year ago and my body has gone completely insane. i am on hormone replacement therapy. i'm in my late 20s but my body i guess thinks it's 60 now.

has anyone out there lost weight after a hysterectomy and while on therapy? any advice would be greatly appreciated. i'm just so confused about what to do with this new body.
polkadotfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi! Yes, weight loss is possible after a hysterectomy. I had my hysterectomy in 2005 and I'm also on HRT. Last year, I lost 30 pounds. I probably could have lost more, but I wasn't as committed as I should have been. I began by following the Southbeach plan.....eating lean protein, lots of vegetables, 2-3 fruits a day, healthy fats and whole grains. Now, I'm continuing to eat these healthy foods, but I'm now counting calories. Also, exercise is very important. I recommend getting some type of cardio exercise for an hour for 5-6 days a week. Please don't lose hope. You might have to work a little harder to lose the weight, but having a hysterectomy does not = being overweight. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #3  
never say never

thanks for the response and advice . i could definately up my cardio and exercise. i went to the ob/gyn the other day and she told me i should start lifting weights too. i just get so frustrated because weight loss used to be easier than this...never easy...but easier. thanks again. i have heard that the lower carb stuff works better like south beach.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #4  
navywife022506

S/C/G: 238/228/130

Height: 5'5"

I haven't had to have a hysterectomy, but I did have a c-section with my son. I have no clue about weight loss and hormones, but I can relate to you if you had to have surgery to have the weight loss, some women are lucky and don't have to be cut open to complete a hysterectomy. I had a c-section about 2 years ago and I am battling the "loose" skin in my binkini area
navywife022506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

I've also had a hysterectomy but stopped taking HRT after the breast cancer scares. I'm older than you though. I found a lot of great support at hystersisters.com. I found that the lower carb diets (NOT Atkins) worked the best for me. South Beach does have a nice plan that has you eating good foods. I had a lot of weight to lose & used Medifast for a big chunk of it with a SB type diet afterwards.

I haven't really noticed that many changes. An occasional mild hot flash (which NEVER happens when it's zero degrees out!) & I have to take Fosamax now for my bones. Dieting has been slower but the lower carb/low fat has worked. And of course a good diet & exercise plan is important...but that's true for everyone.

Last edited by suesully; 01-29-2008 at 06:03 PM.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm glad you others are having success.

I had some success after my first one. I had 1 ovary left and didn't have to take anything. Sex was great and I could be active without pain or bleeding to death.

Then I had to have the second one. I know it's not called a hysterectomy, but it's a big long word that I can't remember. It's been one incredible struggle for me. I packed on the weight after starting the HRT. (I didn't increase my food.) I went off of it and had to go back on because of my mood swings and awful hot flashes. I stayed on it for a couple of years and went off again after the breast cancer scares.

I got more and more tired. I didn't actively try and get back into shape after going off the HRT. I was in so much pain both mentally and physically.

Do that exercise and if low carb works for you, then do it. Whatever works for you. I want you to have success while you are still young. Getting to my age makes it worse and much more difficult.

You are terribly young to have had that procedure.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I had a hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago, but did not have my ovaries removed until last March and started HRT. My Gyno told me last week my body thinks it's in menopause. If I'm not on WW I gain.
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago at age 45 but did not have an oophorectomy (that big word for removal of the ovaries). I have been going through menopause the last year or so and that's when I started to have issues with weight gain. I had maintained my weight at 120-125# on weight watchers for 3 years before menopause struck. I did opt for HRT after finding hot flashes, headaches & night sweats to be disruptive to my personal wellness. I tried bio-identical topical hormones but they just didn't give me relief, so now I'm on an estrogen patch (Less risk of breast cancer than oral estrogens). Between the HRT & menopause, I was struggling with my weight, and even on weight watchers, the scales kept creeping up. I finally decided to try South Beach- I have a co-worker my age that has kept her weight off for years and swears by it. In the last 4 weeks, I have lost 10# and can now wear jeans that I have not worn in the last year. I have also lost 2 inches in my waist. Even if I don't lose anymore weight, I know I am eating better now and I feel healthier.

Last edited by murphmitch; 01-30-2008 at 12:27 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #9  
never say never

thanks for the advice everyone. one thing that i keep on reading and hearing is the lower carb/ lower glycemic index foods. it's a small price to pay...besides eating that refined stuff isn't good for anyone.

i will admit i need to get more serious about the exercise thing. i have got to come to terms with the fact that it's non-negotiable.

yes i am very young to have had the surgery. i'd like to get my act together while i'm still in my 20s. i had stage 4 endometriosis and had already had one surgery and hormone treatment which ultimately failed to help me. so there was just no other option for me. no kiddos. nothing.

i'm muddling through. i'm a tough chickie. and i am a member at hystersisters as well. love those ladies.

thanks everyone.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 AM   #10  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

I kept thinking about this thread. I'm wondering what the caloric intake for someone in their 20s who has had a hysterectomy is. Mine at age 52 is much lower than someone who is younger. Is that because of naturally high metabolisms at a younger age or does that get messed up if you have a hysterectomy? I hope this made sense but I'm thinking that if you look at the calorie recommendations for someone your age, maybe they are too high?

I found the 3FC site to be a HUGE resource for checking out different diet & exercise plans. Maybe look around at some of the threads & see what diet programs appeal to you & try them out. You can quickly tell if they are not working for you & switch to something else.

Same for exercise. There is so much to choose from nowadays. I just sent off for the Zumba DVDs. Yes, at my age! Having fun while exercising helps to stick with it too.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote