General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Finally, maybe I'll get some decent sleep!

Got the approval from the insurance, got the appointment set up, and just finished the paperwork that will need to be turned in when I go in for my........................
SLEEP STUDY

My appointment is in less then two weeks! Pretty sad when I am excited to have a sleep study
I'm just that exhausted, when I finally admitted that maybe there was more to my sleep problems, I realized how very tired I really was and how much this has affected everything in my life. Hopefully I haven't done any permanent damage!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

Good for you! Don't plan on getting a whole lot of sleep during the study, so if possible take the next day off from work. Do plan on having a lot of gunk in your hair that will take time to work out. For me it was a shampoo, rinse, repeat three times. And I don't have much hair!

For me the test and the results were quick, quick, quick. It was getting the stupid CPAP machine that took 9 blessed weeks.

I used to have to get up several times a night for the restroom. Not after the machine. I put on the mask, turn on the machine and semi-instantly dead to the world until the alarm in the morning. A nice change of pace!

I'll keep a very good thought for you! Good luck, hope it makes a difference for you too!
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #3  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

Height: 5'3"

I was looking forward to my sleep study as well. Boy was I miserable. I'm a stomach sleeper, and no way that was happening with all them wires on me. I slept like 30 minutes the whole night.
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #4  

ugh me too!!! they wanted me to sleep on my back, and there is no way I can do that. Also I had gunck in my hair too, and I had long hair, so it got all over, had to wash several times! I hope you have good results, I went thru the whole thing for them to tell me that there was nothing they could do...argh...oh well at least I was able to rule out sleep apnea...and get further help.
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

Jackie, there are some things for you need to know SHOULD you be diagnosed with sleep apnea.

The CPAP machine has to be plugged in. Now me, I'm totally penny pinching these days and that energy vampire just about did me in. So I make it a point to unplug it every morning. Should you decide that's your preference as well you have to figure out where to put the machine so it's within reach of a plug that is easy to get to every day. (Common sense and of course it didn't occur to me when I first set it up!)

I have a humidifier on my machine, so my sinuses don't get so dried out. I didn't have the water container properly assembled, it leaked out all over the table. Except I didn't notice for awhile, so the particle board table is ruined. Not a big deal, it was never intended to be my permanent bedside table, just more the fact that I ruined it. So I now have a cookie sheet somewhat permanently under the machine, just in case. That takes up more space than just the stupid machine, of course!

The standard air hose is 6' long. You can get them 10' long, but you may have to buy those yourself out of pocket. Am I driving you crazy yet? Electrical outlet, table with space, and now, bless it all, it has to be close enough to the bed so the 6' hose can comfortably reach!

There are some places where you can get a "hose cover" to cut down on the condensation within the hose at night. I haven't chosen to deal with that yet. BUT. I can tell you from personal experience should you choose to go my route that freakin' hose is COLD at 2, 3 AM, it's not a fun shock to wake up to!

Good luck, and please let us know how you do!
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! Sorry I hadn't responded sooner, been having computer problems.

My sleep study is Sunday night!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #7  
underneath I am thin!

S/C/G: 196/193/130

Height: 5'2"

I got my C-PAP about a year and a half ago. It has changed my life! I sleep now, and I am no longer a zombie. You will love it! Remember, it takes some adjustment to get used to sleeping with the mask, but just stick with it!
Debihen is offline   Reply With Quote