Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 07:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Counting down from 250 and beyond - Feb 7th and onward

Welcome to everyone!! We are a wonderful group of friends from all over and from various starting points. We're here to share laughter, frustrations, disappointments, and wonderful successes. If you're looking for support, we're here for all. Come on in and join the group.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Morning all!

I thought I'd take time this morning for a quick post. My version of going back to bed since I needed a break from racing to work by 7 am and staying to 5 pm.

I have to share my almost victory. As I have posted, I have been trying to plan our weekly meals. DH does almost all the cooking and its been a struggle getting him to pay attention to portion size and cooking light. That has been very hard on my efforts plus he needs to shed a few pounds. Wheneven I talk about cooking WW friendly, he acts stupid. I've finally gotten him convinced that he CAN read a recipe. Grilled meat and a veggie gets boring and I have a million recipes to try. So I've been planning lots of new things to fix and he's been making them. And now he's seeing that he CAN be a WW cook. Not only that, he's loving the food.

So here's what he made this week: This is a WW recipe from my online menu. The recipe doesn't look like its all that much as far as content; but the flavor is wonderful.

Garlicky-Shrimp
2 tsp olive oil (2 pts)
1 medium garlic clove, minced
8 oz shrimp, cleaned (5 pts)
1 cup cooked couscous (3 pts) (we used basmatic rice)
2 tsp parsley, chopped
1 cup sweet red peppers, sliced
1 small yellow pepper, sliced

Prehead broiler. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute. Add shrimp and season to taste. Saute until opaque. Combine couscous with parsley. Place peppers on a small baking tray, spray with cooking spray and season to taste; broil until done. Serve shrimp and peppers over couscous.

This says its 10 points total. Points will vary by how many ounces of shrimp. We used a pound of shrimp (half pound each) and 1-1/2 services of rice each and it was enough food.

I'll have to print the other thread out so I can make replies. Welcome Akasha and congratulations to those who have posted losses. Hang in there and keep up all the great work.

Better get moving now!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:59 AM   #3  

Merry Meet and Good Morning everyone I'd like to start this post, by saying thank you for all of the warm welcomes. You really made me feel good that I could have a place to come and get the support I need.

Well today is a new beginning for me. Time to put all my past food mistakes behind me and move on.

I cant wait to get to know each of you better and maybe somewhere along the way I can help you. I have started my own thread, not as much to gain a group, but as a personal journey to let everyone know how I was doing. I am determined to reach that mini goal before Spring. What if I dont? Well then I'll just gather my thoughts up and try again.

The secret to success is never to give up, and never give in.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:14 AM   #4  

Hi everyone!

Quicky today as I am up to my eyes in half done tasks! Welcome Akasha - I checked out your web site - pretty cool! I like the black and purple rose thing. And Terri, I like the sound of that garlic prawn (to me, shrimps are tiny weeny prawn like things which small boys collect in jam jars... ) I had a new recipe that even your huspband could not object to. In fact I am going to run down to the kitchen and get it and post it

Phew! back. Here it is, and it was delicious and could not be easier.

Lamb Dhansak (curry)

points per recipe 16, per serving 4

2 large onions chopped
small can chopped tomatos
8oz pumpkin or squash (I used sweet potatos which added to the points)
large handful chopped fresh coriander
large handful chopped fresh mint (I did not have so left out)
5.5 oz soaked yellow split lentils
10oz lean lamb, cubed
1tsp tumeric
1tsp caster sugar
1tsp chili powder (I left out as I dont like it - I used a shake of curry powder here)
pint water
tsp ground cumin
salt and freshly ground pepper

Put all the ingredients in a large pan, bring it to the boil, and simmer for one hour or until the lentils and lamb are soft and tender. Sqash the lentils a bit with a fork. Eat. Yum.

Now I really am behind with everything and must fly
Old 02-07-2002, 11:21 AM   #5  
CatGal

Good morning all!

I had a good OP day yesterday, and skipped the treamill because DH and I had an appointment to drop off our tax stuff with the accountant...

Re: Lent - I have decided to add daily prayer to my life during Lent. It doesn't matter when or where, just that I take the time to look at life daily and share with God.

J-Ann - So what if you gained a pound! I am certain it is muscle, if you are down a size! WTG!

Akasha - Welcome! We are always willing to have new participants! I look forward to getting to know you!

Determined - Your garlicy Shrimp sounded wonderful! WTG for getting DH to be a WW cook, and to LIKE it! A victory indeed!

Well that is all from me for now. Everyone have a great OP day!
G
Old 02-07-2002, 11:37 AM   #6  

oops! I forgot something in the recipe. It also has 4 tablespoons of vinegar.

Really, this recipe was v good for a throw it all in a pot type of thing!

love to all (esp those I have not talked specifically to in my post today!)
Lilac
Old 02-07-2002, 12:17 PM   #7  

Hello!

Akasha -- I'm in the mountains of NC as well -- near I-40 and the Tennessee border. I'm delighted to "meet" someone else who lives in our area. We moved here a couple years ago and, in part, because we work at home, home school and attend a very small Catholic Church, we haven't really gotten to know anyone locally -- thus, I'm always jazzed to know someone else online who lives in my neck o' the woods. WELCOME!

Terri -- Thanks for starting a new thread -- and the shrimp sounds like what the doctor ordered for us this weekend. I've got some shrimp I need to use and (until now) I had no inspiration to use it.

Lilac -- I'll pass the lamb recipe on to my folks. I'm not a lamb eater (related to spending a summer with family on a farm and, at the end of it, being told we just eaten my pet lamb) but my mom's a big ol' lamb/curry fan.

Gina Marie -- That's what I love about Lent -- the possibilities for learning to strengthen and deepen your relationship with God.

Well, tomorrow we have to finish up a buying trip begun on Tuesday. We didn't bring enough $ for the buy, so we're headed out again tomorrow to pay off the rest and pick up the stuff. It was an astounding buy -- large and cheap. I'm pleased!

Today I went in for my monthly hair appointment and was greeted by my stylist with, "Wow -- you look so great!" Very pleasing!

And I have a new (used) laptop I'm fiddling with these days. Aren't moms the greatest?! *g*

Y'all be good -- and have fun!
Old 02-07-2002, 09:11 PM   #8  
Slimwithin

Default OH DARN

I had a nice post all typed up and hit the wrong button and it's GONE. No time to do it again either.
Just wanted to say hi. I'm still around. My weigh-in is tomorrow and I've been pretty well OP all week and have been swimming twice. Hopefully that will have had some effect.
I'll let you know my results tomorrow.
LindaBC
Old 02-07-2002, 09:49 PM   #9  

Unhappy

Ladies, I want to just curl up and cry. I had considered not going to weigh in tonite, but my mind kept urging me on. Hopeing I had lost at least a lil bit, when I stepped on those scales....no. In fact I was up .2 of a pound. I know its not even half of a pound, but I'm so disappointed in myself. I feel so desperate and alone right now.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:06 AM   #10  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Akasha, You need to belong to the WW Group I go to. They don't use tenths. Geez, they don't even use quarters. You have to show a loss or gain of 1/2 lb or they tell you you've stayed the same.

Dpn't let that .2 get to ya. It's probably just a recently swallowed glass of water, or a piece of fruit. .2??? I bet you could get a scale to change that much by just thinking of a dessert.

You're doing just fine ... forget this teeny tiny blip.

Off to work.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:26 AM   #11  

{{{{{Akasha}}}}} -- Akasha, you have done an incredible job taking care of yourself this past year. I can tell that -- not even knowing you well -- just by the amount of weight you've lost, by your choice to find a support group online, by how much it hurts when weigh-in goes differently than you'd hoped. When the scale moves up or down a little bit, it can be for all sorts of different reasons -- few of which have anything to do with whether your body is becoming healthier. Water, salt, heavier pants (I sell clothing online -- just changing the fabric in the clothing you wear can add or subtract entire pounds from your clothed weight!), and so on can all contribute to extra tenths of a pound. Next week, it'll be gone. And in the meantime you'll be healthier, happier, fitter, closer to your goal of being the healthiest you possible. So, let us comfort you ... but then wipe off your tears and hop back on again. We're proud of you!

Linda -- I just hate the missing post syndrome! Its only happened to me a coupla times and it drives me bonkers everytime. We'll be waitin' to hear from you today! Its my weigh-in day as well - but then I'm off on a buying trip so I may not be back here until tomorrow with the *gulp* results.

J-ann -- Hope work is wonderful for you today!

Bye for now, ladies!
Old 02-08-2002, 09:50 AM   #12  

Its Friday at last. it seems as if it has been a long old week. My eating has been haywire (what is a hay wire???), but I have put that down to pre-menstral janglies. I have been craving sugar and carbs. But I have been op, except one over day. I have made some good plans for food over the next few days. The key is not to have sugary things around when I feel like this. I ate some cake in front of the telly this week and that would have been fruit if the cake had not been sitting there (bought by housemate for the builders ).
Anyway it will be a good weekend, and I am out of the pre-men blues to the 'give me a hot water bottle and a couple of asprin' blues .

I went to sign on with a doctor today, as since I moved here I have been doctor-less. I was surprised by how ok it was. I was all prepared for the 'you really are overweight and need to lose a little bit' patronizing parental pep talk - but it did not come! Instead, nice man doctor just asked for a bit of family medical history, took my bp (low by nature), and listened carefully to me discribing the strange pains I have been getting in my head (and diagnosed it as neuralgic pain following the evening last autumn when an iron candlestick fell off a high shelf on to my bonce and wow did that hurt....apparently I have bruised a nerve and it can take up to a year to heal).

Akasha - sorry you are feeling so low. Bunny is right about clothing, and J-ann is right about .2 could be anything at all. you hang in there. And try weighing a few cups of water to see how little extra you have to have to be up .2 and also (as it seems to be my theme today ) it could be time of the month changes. I know that my weight fluctuates a couple of pounds over my cycle.

Bunny - Hope all is going well for you - you have been so on it for so many months now.

J-ann - that idea of not counting it unless it is .5 is good - we have that here as well. The whole thing about a few ounces is so disheartening (as Akasha is experiencing ).

Gina - How are you doing out there? I hope the daily prayer goes well in Lent. We are all so well rounded in the nicest of ways are we not

Linda - grrrrr about your lost post. It has happened to me. The back button sometimes works to get it back but not always. Hope things are going well for you.

Well ladies, I am off to watch some of my new Angel dvd (I can pretend I am working but really be watching rubbishy telly - cool!)

love
Lilac (who needs a hotty botty today.... )
Old 02-08-2002, 10:09 AM   #13  
CatGal

Talking TGIF!

Well! Happy Friday everyone!

I had a bit of a slip yesterday... My DH had some lovely Belgian chocolates (my farorite kind) delivered to me for Valentives day. Before the day was out, I had eaten 8 pieces! I had to cancel the popcorn that I was going to enjoy and get on the treadmill, which I had not planned to do... And, I was still over by 4 points for the day! Oh well... Back on track today, but I still do have more of those chocolates!

Lilac - We seem to post at the same time! Your Lamb Curry sounds great. DH & I do love curry! I have the pre-mens too! I think that is why I had that little chocolate freakout last night!. WOW! That iron candlestick crashing down on you does not sound like a pleasant experience! I hope your pains go away soon!

Bunny - Congrats on getting that great compliment from your hairstylist! The positive feedback from other people really does make you feel great sometimes, don't it!?

Linda - So sorry to hear you lost your post. That is so frustrating!

Akasha - Sorry to hear that you are down in the dumps. I hope you are doing better today. I agree with Bunny and the rest. A glass of water, a heavier article of clothing, all can make a big difference! When I used to go to meetings (I do WW at Home now), I used to wear the SAME EXACT thing every weigh day...

Have a great Friday everyone!
G
Old 02-08-2002, 06:08 PM   #14  
Slimwithin

I am joining Akasha down in the dumps today but I'm gloomy and discouraged because, in spite of my good efforts this past week, the scale at WW showed a 1.5 lb gain. This is totally unacceptable to me. Anyhow, I have read all your encouraging posts to Akasha and applied them to myself. Trying not to let it get to me so much. I just don't understand why the weight WILL NOT come off. Three years ago I went on WW by myself and lost 30 lb in less than 4 months. It sure hasn't happened this time and I've spent a fortune on meetings and such. I don't even want to think how much each of my 15 lb has cost.
Anyhow, I drowned my sorrow in a restaurant breakfast of French toast with butter and syrup, sausages and fruit cup. It used almost all of my points for the day and will probably totally screw up my blood glucose tests for the week. Darn! Why did I turn to food for comfort?
Anyhow, I'm over my snit now and hope to be back on track for the rest of the day. I'm not going to starve but will just eat my usual low point meals. Hopefully, by staying at the lower end of my points range for the rest of the week and exercising I can work off this binge.
Have a good weekend.
LindaBC
Old 02-09-2002, 08:19 AM   #15  

Good morning everyone Its a new day and with it I'm going to have a new attitude. I want to say thank you for all the encouragment, and your kind words have actually given me an idea. My weigh in days are Thrusdays, so from here on out, I'm going to make a note of what I eat up until the meeting (going to keep it as light as possible) and what outfit I wore. Every week I'm going to keep the same rountine, and then see how that affects my weighins.

Yesterday was my birthday and for the first time in many years, I wasnt worried about gaining weight on this day. I knew that I had enough knowledge and self control now that I could push myself from the table instead of having to waddle from it. But it turns out, I was called into work...so I didnt have the big dinner after all.

Well I have to run guys, I'll check back in later. I hope everyone has a good day.

Linda, I hope you are feeling better than yesterday. Just hang in there. We all can do this, together.
Closed Thread