Old 01-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #1  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default Omega 3 and Magnesium

Can anyone give me some perks to taking these everyday? I just started (today) taking them with my multi.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #2  
Work it!

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Height: 5'3"

Omega 3's and magnesium ROCK! Soooo many ppl are lacking in both of them. Omega's are healthy essential oils that lube joints and are important for cardiovascular health. They reduce inflammation, reduce the risk of blood clots, and help regulate bowel movements. They're also great in helping with dry skin!

Magnesium is mainly great for bone health. It's also a natural antidote for artery calcification.

I would recommend taking a digestive enzyme with them. I take a handful of supplements in the morning and as long as I take an enzyme, I'm good. Also, be sure to be taking high quality supplements. Especially when it comes to oils. A lot of manufacturers (brands you find at Walmart, Target, Costco, etc.) cut the omega 3's with veg oil or soybean oil to make it go further. Ick! I recommend Flora's Udo's blends or even just taking straight flax oil. I hope this helps! Btw, magnesium is the BOMB! I often take it in liquid form before I go to bed. Soooo soothing and relaxing.

I hope this helps!
Jewelieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I will NEVER skip my morning omegas!!!! Not only are they good for the reasons that Jewelieta mentioned, but they can also help with depression and mood disorders. If you are of childbearing age, they can help ease post-pardum depression and they help with fetus brain development. Also, when you look at the healthiest peoples of the world, their diets tend to be high in omega-3's.

As far as magnesium, most people in the US do not get enough in their diets. I pulled some info from the National institute of Health website:

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is essential to good health. Approximately 50% of total body magnesium is found in bone. The other half is found predominantly inside cells of body tissues and organs. Only 1% of magnesium is found in blood, but the body works very hard to keep blood levels of magnesium constant.

Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.

Last edited by zenor77; 01-29-2008 at 02:46 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #4  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Thanks for the info yall.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #5  

I take 2400 mg. of Omega-3 daily (it's 2 geltabs of my current brand). It helps to take it w/food so I don't get a fishy-tasty burp 2 hours later (sorry to be graphic here!). I take it for mood stability and heart health. I don't think we can get sufficient Omega-3s from food sources alone, but it's still a good idea to eat fish.

Magnesium: I've read that a Calcium+Magnesium supplement is a good idea. I don't think I get 1000 mg. of daily calcium (I'm a pre-menopausal woman) so I'm going to do some research on this.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #6  
LLV

I'm reading conflicting information on whether or not you can take calcium and magnesium together. I've just recently started taking magnesium and I read somewhere (can't find the article now) that the two shouldn't be taken together, to take the calcium in the morning and the magnesium at night.

I'm confused.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #7  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
I'm reading conflicting information on whether or not you can take calcium and magnesium together. I've just recently started taking magnesium and I read somewhere (can't find the article now) that the two shouldn't be taken together, to take the calcium in the morning and the magnesium at night.

I'm confused.
I would love to hear more on this.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I've read also that your Magnesium requirement is about half of your Calcium one. If you take 1000mg of Calcium, you should be getting 500mg of Magnesium. Calcium can be constipating also, so taking the Magnesium helps counteract that. (Think Milk of Magnesia)
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #9  

I almost bought a fish oil today but I was concerned that they all contained Omega-6 as well as 3, and then didn't list how much of each. I've heard that too much 6 can be bad and it is not in short supply in the average diet?
Is it that 3 and 6 can't be seperated from each other? If they don't list the proportions should I keep shopping for one that does?
And oh! The fish burp thing sounds bad! Is flax seed oil a straight alternative?
gypsyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #10  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyblue View Post
I almost bought a fish oil today but I was concerned that they all contained Omega-6 as well as 3, and then didn't list how much of each. I've heard that too much 6 can be bad and it is not in short supply in the average diet?
Is it that 3 and 6 can't be seperated from each other? If they don't list the proportions should I keep shopping for one that does?
And oh! The fish burp thing sounds bad! Is flax seed oil a straight alternative?
I have never seen one (other then 3 6 9 formulas) that contain omega 6's.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyblue View Post
Here's a good read if you're considering fish oil. Not all fish oil is the same, choose your brands carefully. Make sure your fish oil is purified.

http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536

And I don't have the fish oil burps anymore. My brand of fish oil (Natrol) and other brands as well have started making their fish oil pills lemon flavored. So all I taste is lemon
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote