General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 11:55 PM   #1  

Default Merida February 2002

Just beginning anew....we were on page three.
Old 02-07-2002, 12:08 AM   #2  

Marie, how did you make out with nutrionist? Part of my program was group with psycholologist. She gave us so many techniques for dealing with food cravings, snacking, etc etc. How to know when it is your mind that is hungry and not your body. Think I would list her as the #1 reason I have been successful--well maybe Merida # 1. Anyway sounds like you are doing well.

Ruthxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, glad to "see" you. We are never in chat at the same time.

Things going alone fine here. I am tolerating the 15mg of Merida well---no side effects and it is helping me a bit more although not a huge difference. Have been exercising every day.

Keep posting.....
Old 02-08-2002, 04:52 PM   #3  
Elle

Hi Nikolas!

I am still around...I am still taking Merida although it doesnt seem to be helping me quite like it did, but I believe it still makes a difference.

I am glad you arent experiencing any side effects on 15mg. My doctor increased me on my second month even tho 10mg was working fine! This really screwed me up, because when I went back to 10mg it never seemed as effective.

Oh well, the support group you are in sounds interesting. Do you go every week? How did you find it?

Take Care,
Elle
Old 02-08-2002, 06:33 PM   #4  

Hi Girls,

Just wanted to post on the new thread. I haven't been on for most of the week because I have had a horrible cold. Fever, aches, stuffy nose, cough...the whole ball of wax. I haven't done so good food wise this week..eating a lot of comfort foods I guess because of the way I was feeling. I am feeling much much better today and plan on resting the rest of the weekend. Then going to get back on track come Monday.

My doctors appt last week showed that my blood pressure and heart rate are fine. So he gave me a prescription for another month of Meridia. I am down 11 lbs. Haven't weighed myself this week.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Marsha
Old 02-11-2002, 10:44 PM   #5  

Default Tuesday...

Just checking in...doing fairly well. I put on a pair of my fat pants today and I don't think they will be fitting much longer (once they fall off I can declare success!) I haven't officially weighed in since starting the Meridia but I think I am down about about 3 or 4 pounds in the last week. I went to the gym today for aerobics but lasted about 5 minutes before my stomach started giving me shooting pains...oh so charming! So I made a quick exit and went home to curl up in my PJ's instead. I think I deserve to have burned the calories since I actually made the effort to get there!

Still waiting for my additional visits to get cleared by my insurance. The letter actually got to where it needed to be so now I just need to wait for the approval (which shouldn't be an issue). I have an appointment with the nutritionist on Thursday which hopefully I won't have to cancel.

I made a great recipe last night- I know this isn't where people are supposed to post recipes but it is so easy and yummy I thought I would throw it in. I had it years ago at my college roomates house and she just got around to giving it to me last week!

So you grill up some marinated teriaki chicken, throw it on some lettuce and whatever else you like on a salad (cucumbers, carrots, etc) and top with this yummy low fat dressing made of:

1 cup ff kraft mayo
1/2 cup OJ
1 T honey
1 t dry mustard
Shake well and refrigerate before serving

I am a one step cook so this was a great/easy thing to make.

I hope everyone is disappearing (melting pounds that is). I will check in after my official weigh in on Thursday with some good news hopefully!
Old 02-12-2002, 11:56 PM   #6  

Marie thanks for the recipe for salad dressing....it sounds yummy. Normally I do not use fat free mayo (use the low fat) cause I do not like the taste but will try this one. Fortunately low fat is so ingrained in me now that some days I do not even eat 15 grams of fat (am allowed 30 grams a day). However, do have to watch calorie count. I would most certainly count those calories as burned.....after all you did make the effort, lol. Hope your weigh in goes well on Thursday.

Marsha, glad you are feeling better and you are doing super with your weight. You and your doctor must be so pleased.

Elle, it really is so good to "see" you again. Hard for me to believe I have been on this board for a year now. I found my group through the doctor that heads the obesity program at a nearby hospital. I had, however, to wait four months to see him.

I had my WW weigh in today. Joined WW at Work since there were so many people joining and the more support the better. I don;t do the points, as yet, but may start. I am now losing one lb a week and that is only if I am VERY good with my food and exercise. I knew loss would slow down eventully

Stay well all of you.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:54 AM   #7  

Default our thread was getting pushed down!

So I thought I would post...Perhaps someone could give me a tad of a motivation boost! I had to cancel ANOTHER nutritionist appointment because of more insurance issues...I know have finally gotten another 5 visits approved (hmm only took about a month!!!)

So last night was not so good...No valentine, went out with the girls and decided just to eat what I wanted. So we had....fried cheese curds, onion rings, cheeseburgers and fries. I am a bit surprised that I didn't puke in some sort of rejection from all that grease but I felt just fine (looks like I could have used a grand dose of XENICAL!!!) I guess I didn't eat as much as I might of in terms of a portion but I will certainly be working to get back on track.

I have been thinking about joining weight watchers. I have found that it really isn't enough for me to be weighing in during my infrequent trips to the nutritionist/doctor. Plus I haven't been good about writing down what I have been eating so WW could certainly be helpful. I had been fighting spending the money but I think it might add to my success.

Hope everyone is doing well....Well Nik I hope you are well since we seem to be the only people posting Did you end up trying the salad?
Old 02-17-2002, 03:53 AM   #8  

Hello!
I've been reading your posts for awhile now and thought I'd hop in. I started taking Meridia on Friday and I don't know if it's in my head but my appitite has changed. It's great to be able to talk to other people who are taking Meridia. And Nik - what an inspiration! 90 pounds is incredible!
Looking forward to talking with all of you!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:21 PM   #9  

Here I am......thought I would post prior to doing my exercise tonight, think I am trying to avoid doing any. Boy after a year one would think I would get used to exercising. Some times I have to just force myself. The pounds are coming off slow slow slow now. I am trying to drink two of my meals for two days using Kashi Go Lean. Had cereal this a.m. and Kashi for lunch and will have it when I am done exercising. I need to jump start my weight loss. Fortunately the Merida really does help. I am not recommending this approach to anyone by the way (usually I eat very healthy portioned meals) but needed to do something different.

Marie, I tried the salad dressing. It was delicious. Everyone in my family liked it. Thanks. Yes Weight Watchers does help, Marie. I am however the opposite of you. I began in a program where you did not have to get weighed, although I did so weekly in the beginning. Then I switched to every two weeks. WW and the scale drives me crazy, so I hid my scale at home and will do the meeting without getting on the scale weekly.

Shelly, welcome. Glad you joined us. I too found that the Merida seemed to help me within a few days. For some people it takes up to two weeks. Good luck and keep posting.

Marsha, hope we haven't lost you. You were doing so well. Let us know.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:49 PM   #10  
Elle

Hello Everyone,

Meridia really is the help tool I needed. If it weren't for it I am afraid I would have to have the gastric bypass surgury and that is just too radical for me, so I thank God for Meridia. It is so nice not to be thinking about food allllllllllllllll the time.

Hope you are all doing well. Nikolas you are doing so well, I cant wait til I hit 95 lbs lost, it seems so far a way.......

I am going to New York the first week of March. I hope I can stay focused and not go off my diet. I don't feel the need to take time off from it for my vacation. I can still enjoy myself just as much without getting out of control with food. Its just harder when you have to eat out more often. I don't want a set back. Sometimes it takes me too long to come back from a set back, ya know!

Take care,
Elle
Old 02-19-2002, 10:59 AM   #11  

I am still here. Still not feeling quite up to snuff. Lost my voice and still have a nasty cough. So I have only been reading lately then turning the computer off. I was off my Meridia for about a week due to interactions with cold meds. I started back on it yesterday. I am going to weigh myself today and TRY to exercise. Notice I said TRY. Everytime I exert too much I end up in a coughing fit. I will let you know how it goes.

Have a great day everyone!!

Marsha
Old 02-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #12  

Default my 1st official weigh in...

So after 3 tries I finally made it to the nutritionist. The official loss since my last visit is 5.1 lbs. That was about 5 weeks ago- about 3 1/2 of those weeks on Meridia. Definately not as much as I would have hoped for but 5 lbs is 5lbs! I think I always compare my losses to the last time I was losing- and I had a couple of 5lb losses in a week. I guess there is no harm in it coming off a bit slower.

I am going to concentrate on eating slower and making much smaller portions. I am a member of the clean plate club and I have eaten past a satisfying full feeling more than a couple times recently- and there is no reason to do that. I am going on vacation to San Francisco next week- there are lots of big meals planned at wineries, etc. so I will have to be up for a challenge! The only good thing is that I am going with my parents- and my mom recently started Weight Watchers- so hopefully she will be my partner in crime and split most meals with me. Plus she is very active so she is always up for a walk- and San Fran has alot of hills!

Welcome to the newbies- and come back to all the oldies...I am still a newbie but it is always alot more fun where there is more to read!

I went to aerobics again last night- no tummy ache so I made it through the class- although after 60 minutes I was pooped! I also made a big ol' pot of veggie soup on Sunday...and well it tasted like a bit ol' pot of veggies- but since I am not much of a chef I thought it was a good effort.

My size 14's are starting to fit again. The goal is to fit into a sassy little outfit from Arden B (one of those fashionable annoying stores that only goes up to a size 12) for my friends bachelorette party in April. I was discussing this with her last night and she informed me that there 12's are probably smaller than a comparable 12- so I may have to adjust that goal! Particularly since things seem to be going a little bit slower than planned...

Hope everyones week is going well.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:03 AM   #13  

Angry hello there

Hello everyone

It's been a very long time since ive been on here( almost a year) so Im sure some of you dont remember me. Hopefully this time around i'll be here a bit longer. The price of the meridia made it impossible to continue last year. Fortunately I am now working so I can "indulge" . Im looking forward to getting to know all of you who i have not met, and reaquainted with those who i have. Untill then,
Meredith
Old 02-22-2002, 06:40 AM   #14  

Default Question

So I woke up today at 4 am (again). Since starting the Meridia I have definately experienced some sleeplessness but it also seems like I need less sleep in general than I did in the past. Does anyone know if I really could be needing less sleep or if the Meridia is somehow keeping me from sleeping- causing some sort of inner sleep deprivation when I really should be getting more sleep? If that makes sense...

Old 02-22-2002, 02:56 PM   #15  
Elle

It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard that from several other people I know who are taking Meridia.

Are you taking 10mg or 15mg?

Elle
Closed Thread