PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #1  

Default Insulin Resistance Diet

The book is by Cheryl Hart, does anyone follow this diet or have any input about it?

Thanks
CIRCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/145/125

Height: 5'2"

I just finished reading this book (Literally took me less than a day - I DEVOURED it as if it were a piece of chocolate!!)

I have to say that so far I am LOVING it. I totally relate and honestly reading the first "story" almost brought me to tears.

I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and have been struggling with my weight/acne and all the problems that go with it for a few years now. Finally having this diagnosis has been a blessing. I've tried SO MANY DIETS why can't I lose weight. I can't say if the diet will work since I haven't started on it yet but I will let you know if I keep to it (which is a challenge in and of itself)

It does seem to be a simple method to follow you "link and balance." Simply link all carbs with protein and balance any serving of carbs (15g) with at least 7g of protein. Sounds easy enough. The book recommends to lower fat (not to completely eliminate it) but protein seems to be the thing that is stressed the most.

I would definitely recommend the book so far.. and to at least give it a try if nothing else has worked for you!! I checked the book out from my local library so it didn't cost anything.. definitely worth it!
walkthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #3  

Hi Walkthedog

I did read the book a little bit ago. You are so right, it does seem like an easy plan to follow. I have tried here and there, never fully like I should. I really wish there was a support thread for this plan. That's what keeps pulling back toWW, there are sooo many boards for support with that plan. If you plan to follow it let me know, maybe we can help each other
Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

Hi girls -

If you're looking for a good PCOS diet AND great support - I highly recommend South Beach. My Dr. told me to try it and I've already lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. Because PCOS is kind of like having diabetes in the way your body reacts to sugar and handling insulin (from what I understand), South Beach teaches you to cut out the bad carbs, focus on good carbs, high fiber and lean meats and veggies. It is incredibly easy to follow!! It also focuses on eating things that are less processed (organic) since our bodies don't know how to handle all that fake sugar and other awful substitutes. I have learned SOOO much from reading the SB books and this forum.

Hope everyone finds what works for them! I know I have!
SoulCyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #5  

HI Soulcyster

Thanks for the reply, I do actually have the SB diet book. Never completed reading it or followed the plan fully, maybe it's time to pull it back out again.

Actually I have been thinking about a lot lately, maybe your suggestion is the push I needed
Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #6  

I do Weight Watchers but eat more core foods and I've done pretty good the last couple of weeks. I did read the IR diet book. But I like points the best.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #7  

Hi Carrie

I have also tweaked around with WW flex and core. Like you said it does work, I guess what I need to do is get with a plan and stick to it.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Height: 5'4"

I sent for the book (Insulin Resistant Diet) and it has some good things in it. However I've set it aside and have decided to go with South Beach as I think (for me at least) it's a more "do-able" food plan. I just began the first phase of it and feel like I'm going into withdrawal a bit. Went to the grocery store and stocked up with my veggies and other items to enable me to have "snacks" etc.
I know that with IR one needs to eliminate the "bad" carbs and also have exercise! Hopefully now I'll have some success with the scales.
frustratedieter is offline   Reply With Quote