Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/181/145

Height: 5'6

Angry Extremely Frustrated!!!!

I am extemely frustrated with the fact that I am not really losing. I work out 3-6 times a week, and I work out hard at Curves, I'm losing inches but the weight isn't going. How is that I work so hard and such little results, and other women I know that had their babies after me have already lost all their prego weight (and they gained more in their pregnancy than me) and then some?????? Please share your weight loss secrets with me, and preferably ones that don't cost money, I'm broke as a joke... Thanks
ashisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/155/125

Height: 5'1

I am going to curves as well, 4 - 5 times a week and I have lost inches, but my weight is going up alittle. They told me that muscle weighs more than fat, and to be patient and the weight will eventually come off. I don't know how it really works, but I will give it time and see what happens. I'm sure this wasn't much help to you, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat as you.
soon2beslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello!

I don't see anything about your food programs--what are the two of you following? Maybe list a typical day?

Unfortunately, I have found from experience that exercise alone is not enough for me to lose weight.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Muscle weighs the same as fat...it just takes up less space. That's the inches lost that you are seeing!

How long have you been working out? I just answered another one of your posts about which plan to use...
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #5  
the one on the left

S/C/G: 215/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

So true, Gina -- I was getting frustrated that the scales were NOT showing enough weight loss, but - I was overlooking the fact that my clothes were getting looser! I see your post about not having a food program too, and that will definitely help. Exercise alone isnt' gonna work probably. Good luck!
alisluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #6  

Working out at Curves is a good thing, but that kind of exercise is best for firming muscle. You need to do cardio (walking, running, swimming) to burn fat.
ceetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Losing inches IS a good thing in itself. After all, if you lose inches and therefore one clothes size or something like this, it means that you look smaller, leaner. Even if the weight on the scale hasn't changed, you have achieved a similar result.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/155/125

Height: 5'1

I have been counting cals, sticking to 1200-1400 cals per day and no more than 47 grams of fat. I was on xenical for 6 months and lost weight. I decided to work at it on my own and stopped the xenical. I started to put on a few pounds and decided to crack down again. I was doing light exercise (Bike riding, walking with the family, etc.) while using the xenical and would say that I am doing alot more now. I am going to curves 4 - 5 days a week and I have also added walking/ jog on the treadmill 3 mornings a week for 20 mins to 1/2 hour. I do have the odd day that I slip up and go over my cals alittle, but not very often. When I started at curves on Nov. 5 2007 I had lost 7 pounds and a few inches by the end of dec., but then the weight went up a few pounds but still have lost inches since. What do you think? Do you think this is an increase in muscle like they say?
soon2beslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

No, it is likely not an increase in muscle. It takes women awhile to gain even a pound of muscle, and you haven't had enough time. Plus, you have to be doing resistance training (weights), and the machines at Curves don't provide enough resistance to build muscle that much--although they are good for toning.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/213/140

Height: 5.5

Are you working out in your fat burning zone 55%-65% if you are 21 when you stop and do the heart beat in ten second it should be 18 -21 beats,also are you eating a pre work snack before you go to curves to get you going.
popupgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

The fat-burning zone is a myth. More intensity is better than less intensity. As a general rule, you want to find the most intense level of exercise that you can maintain for the period you want to exercise. Or do intervals, which allows greater intensity for shorter periods.

(The fat-burning zone myth turns on a misconception: while it is true that at the lower level of intensity a greater % of the calories you burn will be from fat, it is nevertheless even truer that a higher level of intensity--'cardio zone'--burns more calories overall, including calories from fat. For example, when you're sleeping, your body is running almost entirely from fat calories, but it would be ludicrous to suggest that sleeping is better exercise than running...)
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #12  
TBL-Red Team Member

S/C/G: (218)205/191.5/130

Height: 5'5"

I agree! What are you eating and when?

If you are making baby steps then I think the single best thing you can do is not to eat carbs past 3 p.m. Now you can eat veggies (not starchy ones) and healthy proteins past 3 p.m. I would actually say that you should cut out all bad carbs (i.e. processed carbs). But, if you can't do that, then I would start out by cutting it out past 3 p.m. (Unless you exercise at night. Then you may need some carbs for energy) What you are eating is even more important than your activity level.

If your clothes are fitting better, then you are loosing. Sometimes the scale takes awhile to catch up. Maybe you are retaining too much water???? Too much sodium in your diet???? Don't let the scale run your life. I do weigh every day, and the scale sometimes has a mind of its own. If I lose weight, then I get really excited and this motivates me. If I don't loose any weight, then I say pah! You don't know what you are talking about. My pants are looser. So there!!!!!!!! Then this motivates me. The scale WILL go down, if you are keeping your calories in a good range and if you are exercising. So good luck and keep us posted.
Mom23BC is offline   Reply With Quote