South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

Default Kashi cereal?

Are any of the Kashi cereals ok for Phase 2? Was wondering which boxed cereals are OK, and actually taste pretty good. The original SB book only lists a couple, and I did find Uncle Sam this morning. Any suggestions- I do like oakmeal but would like some options! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I'm not to sure about the Kashi but I do like the fiber one cereal (not flakes)
Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/251/150

Height: 5'5"

I was looking at the SBD website and all it says about cereal..is to choose one low in sugar content and high in fiber...5g being considered high fiber
I couldn't really find a list of approved cereals provided by SBD. But the Kashi cereals I have tried in the past were all pretty high in Fiber..but most contained a natural sugar.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #4  

This post http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76412 as info on cereals and links to other posts with cereal lists. You can also mix Uncle Sam with Kashi.

I love my hot oatmeal year round.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I believe the Kashi GoLean is okay, but not the GoLean Crunch - more sugar.
However, I find that cold cereal doesn't really do it for me for breakfasts anymore. If you are going to go this route, you might want to consider adding a hardboiled egg alongside it. I think getting the protein into breakfast is really helpful.
I think it's also mental. I don't really like any of the legal ones and it makes me think of the yummy super sweet granola I used to eat and love. I haven't tried the FiberOne yet though.

Usually for breakfast I'll have deviled eggs, leftover dinner, a turkey sandwich a la Cat, beans with salsa and cheese a la Laurie, a piece of toast or Kashi waffle with peanut butter, or oatmeal with blueberries if I'm feeling it. I've mostly gotten away from traditional breakfast foods.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #6  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Just happen to have these all close by!

Kashi Go LEAN 1 cup = 140 cal, 1g fat, 30 carb, 10g fiber (insoluble Fib 9 gm) 6g sugars
BTW it is 2 WW points for 1 cup

Fiber ONE bran cereal (the twigs) 1/2 cup = 60 cal, 1g fat, 25 carb, 14g fiber (insoluble fib 13g) 0g sugars
0 WW points for 1/2 cup

I generally eat 1 cup of the Go Lean and 1/2 cup of the Fiber One and a hard boiled egg if I want a very long lasting, filling breakfast.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The Kashi cereals are higher in sugar than we are allowed on SBD. I do mix in a little Kashi GoLean with my Fiber One, though, and it doesn't cause any cravings for me. I'm really liking the Ezekiel cereals. They have 3 out and they're all really yummy.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/188/140

Height: 5 ft 6 1/2 in

I thank you all-think I'll stick with the oatmeal for now. I'd forgotten about the Kashi waffles-those are really good!!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
I'm really liking the Ezekiel cereals. They have 3 out and they're all really yummy.
I love the cinnamon/raisin Ezekiel cereal! I saw it at the grocery store the other day and remembered your recommendation. They also carry the Ezekiel bread, but i didn't try that this time around.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/185.5/135

Height: 5'1

Shredded wheat is one that i like also!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #11  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb 3 grams of sugar or less per serving

that is what is the guideline for SBD approved foods. If you look at that Kashi it is too high in sugar to be considered "legal" for this diet.

These are the SBD approved cereals that I copied and pasted from the official web site www.southbeachdiet.com:

Also above these choices, it says " Use sparingly"

Cereal-Fiber One, Kellogg's Extra-Fiber All Bran, oatmeal (not instant), other high-fiber, Uncle Sam

I take this to mean that when you do add carbs back in it should be done with those carbs that won't have the glycemic index affect of raising your blood sugar. I have been really careful about this. I have really monitored my weight closely while I am seeing how certain foods I add back in will affect my weight lose.

I have only had slow cooking oatmeal a couple of times in the past 26 days.

My personal choice, while it is still cold (yes, even here in Georgia) I have the slow cooking oatmeal with no sugar and skim milk along with my two eggs and turkey bacon. I am still eating the 2 eggs/turkey bacon breakfast that is stated in the Phase One. I have tomatoes as my vegetable choice.

Last edited by pamatga; 01-26-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Closed Thread