Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #1  
Face down in Cabo!

S/C/G: WOE - Atkins

Height: 5'10

Default Tired and ready for cheesecake at 8pm

I'm starting to break. After being on plan for 2 weeks, 5 - 10 carbs a day, I have not lost anything. In fact, I gained 1 pound. Last time I did this diet, it was an easy 4 - 5 pounds down each week. This time? Despite dedication and constant attention to what I am doing, I gain 1 pound??? What gives??? If this isn't going to work, why am I working so hard and putting so much into it emotionally? I just want to cry over this. I am moody and depressed and I wonder why I am even trying? I want a peice of cheese cake so bad. I am at work and I just served 2 (Yes. 2 peices of cherry cheesecake to a girl who is so small, she makes me feel huge and ugly and discusting. Why do I (we!!!) put so much into this and people like her can stuff down 2 peices of cake without gaining an ounce? Her dessert was on top of a fried app and a burrito dinner. I promised myself that I wouln't eat it until 8pm. Hoping I can talk myself out of it, you could talk me out of it, I might slip and knock myself out before then? Either that or I will just continue to get pissed at my body and that girls body and just pig out because after all, what the **** difference does it make if this isn't working?
CT Cabo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Oh, ****, how horrible for you!

Can I ask, along with that 5-10 carbs a day (and Doctor A does recommend 20 to start with, not less than 20) are you getting a shedload of protein and fat? Because that's where it's at, from all that I'm reading - dietary studies have shown that people on a diet of 2300 calories per day of a high protein and fat diet lost MORE than people on a diet of under a thousand calories per day without the high protein and fat. Is it possible that you're actually not eating enough? Because, perverse as it sounds, from all the studies I've been reading, that will actually slow down your weight loss - and if you're hungry, then it sounds like your body maybe isn't getting the calories you need?

If this isn't the case - if it's just some perverse plateau - then do you think you can hold out until you go home, and make yourself a low-carb version of a cheesecake, and pig out on THAT? If you're definitely going to go off-plan, maybe you can do it in a controlled way?

Worst case scenario, though, if you do end up eating the cheesecake tonight - then don't let it have an impact on tomorrow.

Good luck!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Sweetie: I'm feeling for you. Atkins does have a provison for a fat fast and some people do the meat fast to try to shake things loose. Today was my first time having an INTENSE craving. First day of my period. I don't like sweets. Never have. EXCEPT first day of period. I had to go to the drugstore for tampons and I swear I was walking up and down the aisle with my mouth watering for some dark chocolate. If they had had some sugar free dark chocolate, I would have grabbed one and eaten it. Thank god they didn't. Even with no sugar the carbs would have been close to my daily allowance of carbs and it would have made me sick (everything makes me sick the first day of my period).

I know just how you feel about "what is he point". What helps me when I feel that way is to lay down in bed and read the first few chapters of DRNDR or flip through Atkins for Life (cook book and menus). I don't get the same comfort from cruising the internet as I do curling up in bed but if you are an internet fan you can get a quick boost going to Youtube and looking at the numerous videos for Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb show. They really do help me. He and his wife are a crack up.

Love and kisses. You deserve a Whhhoooosshhhh.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Red face Dont Give UP! I feel your agony...

I know how it feels to want this damn skinny body and want it NOW! If you don't reward yourself for small gains...you'll never make it to the large gains. My advice...if your body is really aching for that damn cheesecake, then buy a slice, eat 2-3 spoonfuls and throw the rest away!! But, if your anything like me...then that one spoonful may lead to 365 spoonfuls and so on....

Here's something that works for me (A devout sweets lover, especially cherry cheesecake)...pop a few low-carb chocolates (preferably reeses sugar free peanutbutter cups....yummy, or any other sugar free will do). I'm not going to tell you don't eat too many...why??? well these candies have maltitol in it...that's the stuff they made exlax with!!! So, if you eat too many, you'll live in the bathroom for the next few days! But 2 or 3 are fine...it curbs that need for something sweet. Keep sugar free low carb stuff in the house....like those low carb icecream bars. Now, I know alot of you out there say no-no to sugar substitutes, but it helps us sweet lovers get through...and it's a **** of a lot better than going for a couple slices of cheesecake, and it can help ease the pain. joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You can have cheese cake on Atkins..... check this out !! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ht=cheese+cake

Don't give up, you can do it.... you might want to take a look at how many calories you are eating...many people say when your LCing you don't have to watch calories.. personally... I don't believe that because if you have a big appetite like mine, you can eat many calories even LCing and not lose weight.

Good luck
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #6  
banned

I think that too much sugar substitues stalls you. If your in the beginning stages of Atkins, you should try to keep in down to a minimum. Try taking some natural pills such as cider vinegar, kelp (iodine), lecithin and vitamin b-6 pills....the basically deminish your cravings and appetite...you have to remember to eat!!! love them. joyce
Old 01-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi CT Cabo Girl,

I'm going to chime in here You say you have been "on plan" for 2 weeks and haven't lost anything and that you've even gained 1 lb. Then you go on to say you're only eating 5-10 carbs per day. If you have read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, you are aware 5-10 grams of carbs for 2 weeks is extremely low. Are you possibly doing the Meat & Egg fast??? If so, that is not meant to be for 2 weeks.

As Fay (broadabroad) stated, Dr. Atkins recommends 20 carbs per day while on Induction. While protein & fat are important on this way of eating....12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from veggies & salad. Keeping carbs extremely low does not guarantee quicker weight loss. You risk severly altering your metabolism & going into starvation mode which will cause your body to store fat rather than burn it.

As the book states, "This phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™(Induction) must be followed precisely to achieve success. If you do it at all incorrectly you may prevent weight loss and end up saying, "Here is another weight-loss plan that didn't work."

This brings me to sugar-free products & sugar alchols like malitol. Things like sugar-free reese's peanut butter cups, ice cream bars, hard candies, etc., etc., etc. should be avoided. Sugar alcohols are EVIL!!! Not only do they cause bathroom issues, they've been known to produce the worst stomach cramps you've ever had. It hardly seems worth risking that when there are "legal" low carb treats that do not contain sugar alcohols As Leenie mentioned, cheese cake is permitted on Atkins. The following are Induction friendly:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheesecake_squares.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/crustless_keylime_pie.html
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/no-bake_cheesecake.html

The key to this way of eating is to always have the right foods on hand & prepared. I always keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs in the fridge, as well as tuna salad, cubes of cheese, cucumbers with ranch etc. There are many sites with excellent low carb recipes, as well as low carb cookbook's.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #8  
banned

Cabo - I guess "Sugar Alcohol" works diffrently on different people. I find that when I take just a few reese peanut butter cups (sugar free) or any other sugar free candies, it actually helps keep me "regular". Also, not everybody has the time to just "whip up" a cheesecake (prep time, etc.) and when they get those cravings...they want something NOW!

I do agree however, that always having smart food choices avail is key to sticking with this diet and you must get more carbs in your diet (salads, greens, etc.) for you not to go into starvation mode (no weight loss). What I do is on Sundays...I prepare a few trays of my favorite low carb dishes and a few plastic containers (for when you travel), and then you'll have the cheesecake, spinach lasagna (low carb), etc. dishes readily avail when you just want something NOW. Trust me...Atkins is the best, you just have to follow the book. Here's to having a newer healthier lifestyle and the body you want. Joyce
Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I forgot to mention...since cream cheese is permitted on Atkins Induction (limited up to 4 ozs.), as well as sour cream (limited to 1 oz.)...in a pinch, when you're craving something sweet, put the cream cheese in a bowl with the sour cream, stir the 2 together until creamy, add a little Splenda & some DaVinci's syrup..the raspberry is especially good with this & it is all Induction friendly

Remember...while on Induction, sugar-free candies, ice creams etc. are not permitted. The entire purpose of Induction is to bust the sugar cravings and when its done correctly...it works!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-24-2008 at 12:18 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #10  
My body in 6 mos!

S/C/G: 161/See Ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

I feel for you Cabo Girl, but stay strong and never compare yourself to those skinny chics because for all you know, they are going home and purging all that food they gobbled down.
deedee10 is offline   Reply With Quote