Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 01-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Red face For those of you who got married at your heavest weight...

Now that you have lost weight, are you tempted to try on your wedding gown again to see how it fits? I got married last august, and weighed in at 255. I'm now 219, and I'm SOO SOO tempted to try it on.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/205/149

Height: 5'7

I was at my heaviest when I got married. However, my dress isn't anything I even want to keep around. We got married pretty quickly. We knew we were going to get married sometime in the near future and for financial reasons at the time, it made more sense for us to get married quickly. Our inexpensive 'romantic park' wedding turned into a disaster when EVERYTHING went wrong, including all the decorations being blown away, my dress not fitting right (it was a sundress, made too long in the torso so the waist was around my hips), and not even being able to hear the minister over the wind.

But all in all I ended up with a wonderful husband which is what really mattered. He promised me that when I'm ready, we can renew our vows and have whatever wedding I want. So I'm waiting until I get down to a comfortable weight so I can wear one of those big puffy princess gowns I've always dreamt of.
mandajuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I got married at around 210-215 lbs. I know my dress was size 20, but it wasn't really formal and I didn't keep it. I did keep one pair of my old size 20 Levis' though that I like to try on sometimes.

I say go ahead and try the dress on and you will be swimming in it. It does feel good!
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #4  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hahaha! This post made me laugh... I didn't get married at my heaviest, but getting back into my wedding gown was a NSV for me - and I made it on Sunday. I've now packed it away again. After this, it'll always be too big!

How bizarre to read this now, having just done this!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Tamaralynne. I got married at my heaviest weight, prepregnancy. Actually it was the first time I realized just how overweight I was at the time. The camera tells no lies. About seven years later I did finally lose the weight and tried that dress on again. Needless to say it was too big, that was a given.

The real NSV was that I could fit into the dress of my bridesmaid who had a very nice figure at the time of my wedding. Somehow it had been stored with all of the other wedding things. Honestly, her dress was a little roomy in the waist and hips. I came sauntering out asking DH to guess which bridemaid wore this dress.

Gosh, I don't even have our wedding photos out. They just don't look like us anymore, we are both fitter and well, ten years older. I do have a current photo framed that I just love. Its the real us, dressed in black, much fitter, and ten years older. My mother said that we are the kind of people who just keep getting better looking as we get older. I wouldn't go that far...
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I'm about to get married and I didn't quite make my goal before I had to order the dress. I'm hoping it will be too big soon- but after the wedding, given the cost of alterations!

Here's a thought: I'm 5'4" so even the size 00 was too big... lengthwise
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #7  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I started gaining weight when I got engaged. I slowly gained weight for the 6 months of engagement, and the 4 months after the wedding. Then I decided I HAD to stop. Now I'm on the way back down! I've been working on it for 2-3 months and have lost 15!

Last edited by bethbeth; 02-07-2008 at 07:46 PM.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #8  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I spent $750 on my formal gown - on sale from $1200, so I'm not about it get rid of it anytime soon. I'm hoping that when we renew our vows, I can have it downsized (the seamstress promised me that it can be sized down about 8 sizes).

It's such a beautiful dress

Last edited by tamaralynn; 02-12-2008 at 06:26 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #9  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I wasnt at my HIGHEST, but I was at the heaviest since meeting DH when we got married.....I gained like 50lbs in 4 years

I dont have my actual dress anymore, but I do have one very similar to it, sadly (well not really) it is a smaller size than the one I got married in. I got marrried in a size 14 gown and the one I have is a size 10 or 12 (cant remember). I have NEVER tried it on though.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralynn View Post
I spent $750 on my formal gown - on sale from $1200, so I'm not about it get rid of it anytime soon. I'm hoping that when we renew our vows, I can have it downsized (the seamstress promised me that it can be sized down about 8 sizes).

It's such a beautiful dress
Tamara, We are on the same page.....I was with in about 10lbs of my h/w when i got married last June. I really want to have something done w/my dress for my 1yr anniversary ...I just love it so much. I was thinking about getting a professional portrait done of my DH and Me since I was so big in our wedding pictures. I would finally have something I'm not embarrassed to hand up in the house.
Cherrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #11  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Cherry-that is an awsome idea...I never thought of that...I should do that for our 5th anniversary. I love the idea of having an actual REASON to put my gown on, like others have said, it is sooo pretty that you hate to have it just sit in a box!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #12  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm getting married in June and I just picked up my dress last Saturday. When I originally tried on the showroom dress I tried on an 18 and it fit like a glove so I ordered a 16. When I tried on my dress this past weekend it was beautiful...but it'll definately be better in another 10lbs. I have lots of time and it's even possible that I'll have to have it taken in if I actually lose the full 20lbs that I want to in the next 3 months.

While I won't be at my heaviest for the wedding I won't be at goal either. We're going to a friend's wedding in December in the Dominican and silly as it sounds I want to be at goal by then. I know most people would want to be at goal for their wedding. But I'm not going to torture myself with unrealistic expectations. I do hope that one our 1 year anniversary (which will actually be our 18th anniversary since we're getting married on the anniversary of our first date June 1, 1991) I can put that size 16 gown on and it will simply fall to the floor! LOL That would be incredible.

I'm not worried about holding on to the dress. I'm actually doing a trash the dress photo shoot with our photographer the week after the wedding. If you've never heard of it...google images = Trash the dress. I've seen a ton of cool pictures and I think I'll go horseback riding and then get some good shots of the mountains (running through a pasture maybe) and some in the mountain waterfalls. My photographer wants rain that day to really soak us down, but I'd be ok with dry ones...LOL

Cheers,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #13  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I would love to figure out something to do with the dress. I would like to have something made from it. I'm just not sure what??? I don't see it as a dress to be handed down through the generations. My daughter would not fill it out, nor is it her style. Maybe a throw pillow or 2 or 3 or more (lots of fabric!) &/or a white evening purse? Any suggestions???
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #14  

I had 5 bed pillows made out of my wedding dress. (the most expensive pillows you'll ever find!) I selected beautiful decorative ribbon to also be used that included the color of my brides maids dress too.

I've also heard that some brides have a baby blanket made out of their dress to be used for their newborns to come. (My DH and I are older and won't be having any kids.)
angeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #15  

My mom made her wedding dress into baptism outfits for both of my kids (and on topic -- my wedding dress was actually a 16 and I'm a 20 right now -- I'll get there ). She also took my bouquet from my wedding, as well as mine from being maid of honor in my sisters and made an awesome floral arrangement with them (silk flowers).

Last edited by shelby897; 02-21-2008 at 11:19 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote