General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default Having Gallbladder problems??

I have been so sick to my stomach for over a year now! I had a scop & ultrasound back in the summer they both looked normal. They finally did a test that says my gb is only functioning @ 5%. I cant wait to get it out so I can feel better and feel like eating right! Its hard to try to eat good when you are so sick! Its been so hard to try to diet with this going on. I was curious if anyone else has had this done how long before you can start working out again?
I think this has caused me to gain some weight! I have felt like I have had morning sickness 24/7 for about a year.
If anyone can share any info on this that would be great!
Thanks so much,
Amy
AMYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #2  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I had my gallbladder taken out in May 2006. The best suggestion I can give is to start moving as soon after the surgery as you possibly can. Don't just sit in the bed -- this makes everything sooo much worse. To remove the gall bladder, they basically inflate you like a balloon with some sort of gas. If you don't get up and move, this gas can be very painful. My cousin had gall bladder surgery about six months ago and basically laid around for a week. She described the pain as feeling like she was having a heart attack (the gas concentrates around your shoulder and feels like massive pressure in your chest).

Two days after my surgery, I was walking (slowly!) around the house. On the third day, my mom and I went to Target and walked around for a little while. By the fifth or sixth day, I was walking about a milk (still slowly!) around the neighborhood. By slowly building my strength back up, I was able to go back to my regular exercise routine about three weeks after the surgery (after being given the "all clear" from my surgeon at the follow up appointment).

Edited to add: For now, just try your best to avoid all food with fat in it -- even "good" fats. The sole purpose of the gall bladder is to process fat. If you avoid fatty foods, you can avoid the pain (at least the really bad pain).

Last edited by scgirl32; 01-19-2008 at 10:55 AM.
scgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/223/150

Height: 5

I had my gallbladder out about 2 years ago...those attacks are the worst. I would not wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy. I agree...walk as much as you can. It will hurt like **** but you will recover much faster. It took me about 5 days to walk fully upright. Keep us posted on how things go.
manda19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It is avoiding fat that can sometimes precipitate an attack... There are lots of anecdotes about women who went on a lowfat diet and had a gall bladder attack... but as someone said, the plural of anecdote is not data.

I had my gall bladder out as a result of an acute attack about ten years ago. I didn't have any gas problems at all. I was up walking the next morning in the hospital--the nurses got me up to walk (with help) to the bathroom. It was easy to recover. However, there are small incisions that have to heal, so you would probably not want to restart exercise for a couple of weeks. Obviously, anything like stomach crunches is out! The best thing to do is to ask your surgeon and describe what kind of exercise you do.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #5  

Thanks so much for the info!
Yeah, on the exercise- I just thought about walking until I am all healed up! Crunches would scare me!!
I go see my Surg. on the 24th. and see when I can get this over with!
Thanks Again,
Amy
Old 01-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #6  
Addicted to potato salad!

Gall bladders...bleh. What a useless, painful organ. I had my first gall bladder attack about three months after my son was born. They say that pregnancy can bring about the disease, as well. I suffered for a year until I could get health insurance and the surgery is a PIECE OF CAKE compared to the attacks you get with the gall bladder in tact. They put a hat on your head, put a mask over your face and next thing you know, you're in a dark room with a nurse telling you to take a couple of deep breaths. I was home the same day and was quite uncomfortable from back pain from laying on the table, I guess. I was eating tea and toast the next day and stayed in bed except potty breaks and the next day was almost back to normal except for not being able to take a good shower with the bandages. Before long, I was demanding KFC because I knew I could have it without an attack.

My attacks were brought on by spicy/hard-to-digest foods...like chili or KFC. I gained a ton of weight after because I COULD eat without fear of feeling like I'd been stabbed with a machete.

Until you have your surgery, if you have an attack, it helped me to go for a walk. It still hurt, but it seemed much less severe than the fetal position I wanted to get into. And seriously, I wouldn't worry about the surgery. It's so simple and easy to get over. My mother had hers out in the 1960's and you should see the scar she has from it. Its about a foot and a half long and she was laid up for about a week and a half. Serious surgery back then. Today, it's all done laproscopically. I have three tiny incisions that I have to search for to see. And...get this. My doctor even gave me my stones that he took from my gall bladder. Gross, I know, but he showed me a weird collection he has of gall stones from different patients and they're all different sizes and shapes and colors, I was grotesquely intrigued to see what mine looked like after seeing his weird collection. AND...he even let me take home that tape of my surgery to watch. I had to take it back a week after surgery for him to take off my bandages.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be the least bit worried about the surgery. I'd be looking forward to it and getting rid of it. You'll feel like a new woman...you'll see!!

Let us know how it all goes for you!!

Kris
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Funny I found this page, I just had my gall bladder taken out last week and I am so glad I did. After my surgery they told me I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for two weeks, however they encourage you to walk because of the excess air in your tum from the surgery. I was walking around the mall with my dad two days after and eating normally the day after. It was great. The air does hurt, but honestly the air being in there was the worst pain that I had and it could be dulled by taking tylenol 3 with codeine. The weird thing is the pain will be in your chest or right shoulder. Other than that you should be good to go in a day or two. Good Luck!!
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #8  

I am glad you are doing well!
Thanks for the info! I am ready to get it over with. So I can get to feeling better!
That seems to be the worst of it is the gas pain in the chest, I think I can handle that cause thats just temp. discomfort not like the stuff I have been going through...
Thanks so much for the info!!
Amy
Old 01-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Oh yes, the discomfort is no where near gallbladder pain. It's completely worth it. I'm not sure how many stones or anything I had because the doctor just did a normal xray and saw 4 and since you can't normally see them on a regular xray it had to be out and quickly. Now a week later the only discomfort I have is an itchy belly. Other than that I'm good to go. This is one surgery that is 150% worth it!

~Also, I don't know if it's like this at your hospital but for me it was in and out in one day. Depending on the surgery that you get it is an outpatient procedure. If you get the lacro.....(can't spell it) with the 4 small holes you should be in and out in about 6-7 hours. I was there for 2 hours before, my surgery took almost 3 hours (normal is 1-2 but my gall bladder was twisted) and then about another hour after of just waking up....once you walk and then pee you can go. Hopefully this is the way it is for you because it was great getting to go home instead of having to stay there overnight. Good Luck with the surgery!

Last edited by Rhighlan86; 01-22-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote