Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #1  
Kim

S/C/G: 186/161/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Question/Comment/Confusion

How many lbs did you lose before you really noticed it in your clothing? How many lbs before you had to buy the next smallest size?

I figured with a 10lb loss I would feel differently in my clothes. My regular jeans/work pants feel exactly the same. However, the low cut jeans that I wear to dance class might have felt a little smaller. AND, I was able to move my belt back a notch. Weird. I just don't get it.
Paintfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #2  
going, going, gone!!!!

S/C/G: 157/146.5/135

Height: 5'5"

I feel a difference with 5 lbs, move a size around 12 lbs. so over half way there!!!

Congrats on the 10!!!!
thisrlipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

In my experience, the more you weigh, the more the difference in between sizes. For me there was 22lbs in between size 18 and 16, 15 lbs in between 16 and 14, and then 10lbs in between other sizes below that. Of course, now depending on the brand I can wear 3 different sizes! Go figure.

I guess it just depends on where you lose weight at first. I lost a lot in my face first, which didn't effect my clothes at all.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

I've been having a similar question, I guess. I have only just started WW, and I've only lost close to 5lbs, but my brand new jeans (that were tight just after christmas) are now sloppy and hanging loose!

When they're fresh out of the dryer, they fit quite a bit better, but even then, they're not as tight as they once were. I hope to be able to buy the same pair in a size 16 after I lose 10 more lbs. Does that sound reasonable?
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #5  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I think the general rule is 15 lbs. for a size. You'll notice a bigger difference in size with a smaller weight loss when you are putting on muscle. So, if you've really changed your activity level, like gone from doing nothing to walking everyday you might see more of a loss in size that the number on the scale. Also, it depends on the cut of your clothing, as Paint mentioned somethings fit differently, so maybe something high-waisted might not feel as loose as low-waisted because you lost more size in your hips than waist.

A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. I think somewhere on this site there's a picture of that. I'm sure you've heard that saying that muscle weighs more than fat, but a pounds a pound the world around, it doesn't weigh less it takes up less space. That's why you're toning up or shrinking when you start exercising.

I'm certainly no expert (except in having lost the same weight multiple times ) I try taking my measurements every so often because sometimes that gets you through a time when the scale doesn't budge, or is moving very slowly.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #6  
Kim

S/C/G: 186/161/150

Keli said "maybe something high-waisted might not feel as loose as low-waisted because you lost more size in your hips than waist."

I was thinking the same thing. I've been taking my measurements, but I'm not all that precise at it.

I've also been working out the same for a long time, so maybe it's just going to take me longer....

Thanks for your input!

♥Kim♥
Paintfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/223/150

Height: 5

I started WW 2 weeks ago and have lost 7 pounds so far however none of my clothes feel any better. I am sure they will in time!!
manda19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/in progress/140

Height: 5'7'

I've been a lifetime WW member for almost 3 years now and at this point and it seems like there is a size break around each 15 lbs or so. It matters where you are in that break, too. Right now I'm at the lower end of a size 10, but am a little pudgy around the middle. If I'm exercising like I should be, I can fit into the next size down with only a 5 lb loss, but a 5 lb gain and everything is too tight in the waist. When I started WW, all my clothes were tight and it took me at least 15 lbs to change sizes.

So hang in there! Just being more comfortable in your clothes is a good reward. The size change will come. Ladies sizes are so inconsistent anyway. At the same weight I've worn everything from an 8 to a 14! - Theresa
GrammaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote