Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 381/tracker/175

Height: 5'9

Default Low Cal High Protein Snack?

Does anyone have any suggestions for low cal high protein snack?
AmbieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

How low cal?

If I am really low on protein, I'll whip up an egg white, broccoli, and laughing cow wedge omelette. It's almost solid protein.

If you aren't watching your sodium, beef or turkey jerky can be good...they use really lean cuts to make the jerky, so it is almost solid protein as well.

For 150 calories or so, you can have a fabulous protein shake made with a scoop of protein powder and a cup of soy or almond milk, plus some ice. Delicious!

Hard boiled eggs are easily transportable.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

• non-fat yogurt: 1 cup has 100 to 120 calories and 20g of protein.
  • non-fat cottage cheese: 1/2 cup has around 80 calories and 14g of protein.
  • sardines or kippered herring (any kind but the ones in oil): around 130 to 150 calories per can and 16g protein. Also has lots of good fat and omega-3.
  • I make a salad out of 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1/4 cup chickpeas, 2 oz cucumber, 2 oz diced tomato, 1 tbsp minced basil or mint, and salt and pepper to taste. It has 85 calories per serving and 9g of protein. To increase the protein even more, you can add 1/2 pouch of tuna or salmon. This will add around 17 grams protein and around 80 calories.
  • Another salad idea is 1 to 2 oz spinach with assorted veggies; 1/2 pouch tuna or salmon; and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper as dressing. This should come in at around 100 to 120 calories and 17g protein.
  • I make individual deviled eggs. I boil one egg, scoop out the yolk, mix it with a tsp of dijon mustard and a tsp of fat free mayonaise, then scoop it back into the eggwhites. About 80 calories and 6g protein.
  • I eat SnacLite PowerPB peanut butter. 1 tbsp has 80 calories and 6g of protein. It's also much higher in fiber and much lower in fat than regular peanut butter. It's all natural and tastes like peanut butter. You could eat 1 tbsp on an apple, on a slice of light whole wheat bread (Oroweat light whole wheat is only 40 calories per slice, so that's a 120 calorie snack), or on a low fat whole wheat waffle (80 calories per waffle, making a 160 calorie snack). Heck, I could just eat 1 tbsp out of the jar. I've also found it to be very filling.
  • La Torilla wrap (1 whole small one or 1/2 of the large ones) with any of the following fillings: 1 wedge laughing cow cheese (wrap and filling totals 7g protein and 85 calories); 1/4 cup refried beans (wrap and filling totals 8g protein and 100 calories); 1/4 cup egg beaters scrambled and topped with 1 tbsp salsa (wrap and filling totals 10g protein and 85 calories).

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 01-18-2008 at 02:26 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote