Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #1  

Default What Am I Doing Wrong?

So I've been tracking my calories (religiously) for quite some time now, and while mathematically I should be losing 1-2 lbs a week, there is nothing happening?

I did the Harris-Benedict Formula for caloric need and came up with 2341 cals/day to maintain my current weight.

I'm 5'8/212/25 years old. I work out 5 times a week, and wear a heart rate monitor with watch and it calculates your caloric burn (you input your weight, age, height), and I burn between 500-800 cals a workout, and my heart rate is always in the correct range.

I consume at most 1800 cals a day, which is already 500 less than I need to maintain my weight (so I should lose 1 lb/week), and then I also exercise for another -500, which means I should be losing 2 lbs/week. But nothing is happening. I might lose 1 pound, and then the next day I've gain 1.3 lbs back!

Any advise? I know that weight loss does not always follow perfectly with the mathematical world, but I would think I should be losing something!
dimples1125j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #2  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I just started at 215 pounds at the beginning of January, I have around 1400 calories a day, I'm 5'9 and 26 (pretty close to you) I have lost 11 pounds so far but like I said I have been at 1400 calories a day. Maybe you could switch up your calories a little bit and see what works best for you.
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Im a little shorter than you are (and a little older *grin*) but it seems to me that 1800 cals is a lot if you're going to lose.

(NOTE: I'm not a doctor, or a nurse, or nutritionist or anything like that - this is just me based on my experience and reading.)

I would think that a diet closer to 1500-1600 would be beneficial.

Also keep in mind that weight isn't *just* about calories in and calories out. If you've consumed more salt and are retaining water, if it's your period, etc., can all affect the scale.

Also you don't say how long you've been doing this, but it does take a while to see those first results. It's like your body needs to accustom itself to the calorie deficit and for the first little bit, it kinda hoards the fat. At least that's how it worked with me.

I didn't see much change in the scale at all at the beginning (which is kinda discouraging). But then all of a sudden one day I looked into the mirror (in the car actually) and realized I had cheekbones again! Then it seemed that the weight started to melt off. But it took a while for it to *happen*, if that makes sense.

Don't get discouraged and maybe walk away from the scale for a while - and just know that you're eating right and working out and ultimately being healthy.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Also something else to point out - is that you can be tracking calories like a mad woman, but if you're consuming a huge amount of fat, or a lot of carbs, it will affect your ability to lose as well.

Calories must be balanced calories, in the long run.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/130

Height: 5"2

also are you weighing, measuring and counting every small bite...that can be your problem. Also things that claim to be 0 cals can actually have under 20 cals in them...so if your piling on the CBINB or other 0 calorie things you are still comsuming calories
irishfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I don't have access to your food diary but here is some food for thought. On the CalorieKing site where I can see someone's diary, there are often members in tears that they are not losing. When I check their diary's it ends up being that they are eating very poor quality food.

I am not sure if this is you but it is a common theme I see when someone claims that they are measuring and recording everything.

So my questions for you are:
What are your Nutrient % (Carb/Protein/Fat)
How many grams of fiber are you getting each day
How many mg of Sodium are you eating each day
Are you getting 5-9 fruits and veggies each day

Perhaps you could provide us with a typical day of food.

Number of calories is personal. 1800 is not a necessarily wrong but you could go down as low as 1500 which others have suggested. Perhaps you might want to start by dropping 100 calories for a week or two and keep adjusting until you find what works.

I have always stayed around 1400-1500 and been comfortable at that number but I am only 5'6"

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

My first thought is along the same lines as Irishfairy. Are you estimating serving sizes or are you measuring and weighing everything you eat? You may be eating more then you think if you are just estimating. Myself, I count EVERYTHING! Even black coffee, my supplements, pickles, etc.

Also, I disagree that 1800 is way too high! It may be a bit high for your body, but it seems like a good place to start given your weight. I was close to your weight when I started and I aimed for 1600-1700 at first. Of course, I wasn't measuring and weighing stuff so I may have actually been eating more. As I lost I moved down to the 1500 range and I never went below 1400. You might want to lower your range by 100 calories for a few weeks and see if you start losing, if not lower another 100 calories.

What you are eating is also important. When my weight would stall I had success with raising my fiber and keeping my calories the same. Also, I'd look at the amount of sodium you are consuming. Too much salt can make your body hold on to water which would show up on the scale.

Another thing to remember is that all these calorie calculators and calculations are averages. They aren't exact for your body. So although it may have said you need 2341 calories to maintain, your body may have different needs. You'll probably need to tweak your calories a bit to see what works.

Last edited by zenor77; 01-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

There could be many things affecting it, many have been mentioned already. One thing to consider is that all the calculators of calories burned (even heart rate monitors) are estimates. You may not be burning as many calories as you think.

On the other side of the equation, you may be eating (or drinking) more than you realize.

Finally, the calculator you used to estimate your calories to maintain is also... an estimate. It's hard to tell, really, what will work for YOU. A lot of this is really trial and error.

My advice would be to record everything you're eating (and drinking) if you aren't already to get as accurate a measure of your calories in. Then, you can tweak the calories as needed. Just know, you should give things at least a couple of weeks at each level... it can take time to see effects.

Good luck!

Last edited by Heather; 01-18-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/179/155

Default I feel your pain!

Wow Dimples- I am going through the exact same thing!! I've been at this weight for a year now and the scale absolutely WILL NOT BUDGE!!!! I've always worked out a lot- SERIOUSLY more than anyone else I know- with NO EFFECT! Well, I do have pretty OK muscles.... I run, lift, spin, step, kickbox... NO LOSSES!!! I will admit that it wasn't until Jan 1st that I really cracked down on what I was eating. But I did WW for so long that I never really ate that "bad", just not as strict. I saw a one pound loss a couple days ago then slammed with a 2 pound gain!! I want to cry all the time!!
laniemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #10  
Of course you are

S/C/G: 195/185/125

Hi,

I strongly suggest you do not weigh yourself every day. I was doing that and I got so discouraged. I only weigh myself Saturday mornings, and I only expect to lose 1 pound each week. If it's more, great. If it's less - no biggie, I just cut back a little more and work out a little more to reach my goal.

Also you mentioned you lift, among other exercises. If you've plateaued, the gain may be muscle building. I also strongly agree that too much sodium will make you retain water. I can eat under 1200 calories, but if it was chinese food or something loaded with sodium, I can bet money the scale will go up!
Squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Also you mentioned you lift, among other exercises. If you've plateaued, the gain may be muscle building. I also strongly agree that too much sodium will make you retain water. I can eat under 1200 calories, but if it was chinese food or something loaded with sodium, I can bet money the scale will go up!
I was going to say the same. Maybe if you have a tape measure handy you could occasionally do a few measurements as well, see if you're changing shape a bit instead of losing pounds, the scale is not always the best way.

Agree very much about sodium too. I bloat wretchedly when I eat Chinese food.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote