General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Default Which author(s) do you think is/are way overrated?

Inspired by this thread from Mumsnet: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1377/456160?pg=1
! BAD LANGUAGE WARNING !

I can't think of any particular author who I feel is overrated, although after slogging through Stag Party, the first half of Katie McAlister's Ain't Myth-Behaving, I decided not to read the second half and went to something else instead. Is there any writer whose success mystifies you?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #2  

They're pretty rough on some of those authors, aren't they? I actually enjoy quite a few of them (Marian Keyes being one of my favorites). However, I've often read books and wonder how on earth they got published! Especially since it's supposedly so hard to GET published.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Great idea for a thread. I haven't read any of the ones already mentioned, but thought I'd add my own....James Frey!

I could have even forgiven him for that "scandal" of his (maybe), but I couldn't even get through half of his book (and I can read pretty much anything!)

Last edited by djs06; 01-17-2008 at 10:38 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Anne Rice - Her writing style is horrible
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #5  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Danielle steel--- if you've read two books of hers, you've read them all--- it's like she makes an outline and just switches characters each time... ugh

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 01-18-2008 at 11:42 AM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I have to second nelie on Anne Rice. I'll never understand how people can read her. I actually tried. Truly, truly horrible.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #7  
Determined

S/C/G: 209/166/150

Height: 5' 6"

I have to second Danielle Steele. She was my first thought.

In fact, I was so annoyed with H.R.H (one of her very newest) that I gave her a review at Amazon as follows:

Quote:
H.R.H.: Who WROTE this? Surely it isn't the same woman who wrote Message From Nam. And if it was, why were the copy editors asleep on it? There were several paragraphs that were maddeningly redundant. Repetitious. And to add insult to injury, the author (or drunk editor?) decided it would be cool to redescribe the same things pages later, just as redundantly as before. There were several sentences that were so poorly written that any high school english teacher would have cringed. Me? I just tripped over them. The characters were BORING. The scenery? Nondescript. The plot had far more potential than it was given. Was this one of Danielle's very first books recovered and remarketed? Cut out the redundant fluff and you have a Harlequin dime store book. I am VERY disappointed that I bought this at full price.
I will never spend money on Ms Steele again.
Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #8  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

I actually like Anne Rice...but I've been reading her books since I was old enough to read and comprehend what was going on.

I do have to third Danielle Steele though. My grandma has pretty much every book written by her. I tried to read one once and I couldn't do it.
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Dean Koontz - his earlier books aren't bad but they've gotten increasingly bad. the writing is juvenile and simplistic. Ditto the plots.

Dan Brown. I hated the Da Vinci Code with a passion. Again, the writing was so simplistic, the plot was laughabe, and the dialogue just made me cringe. All of his books are written at that same 5th grade level. Bleah.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'd say anyone with brain cells would agree that Danielle Steel's writing is crap. And Dan Brown, yes! I belonged to a book club and they picked The Da Vinci Code. I showed up at the meeting ready to trash the book for its crappy writing, and they all loved it. Scary.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

OK, I like The daVinci Code, but tried another Dan Brown book and found it sorely lacking.

Margaret Atwood and Michael Ondaadtje (did I spell that right?) - 2 darlings of the Canadian literary scene, but I just can't get into their stuff.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Janie, I love Michael Ondaatje with a passion and just finished reading yet another Margaret Atwood novel. So funny how what's great to one person can totally turn off the next!

I CANNOT understand Henry James, and he's, like, supposed to be some great American literary phenomenon. Wings of the Dove? Pfft. Henry James makes my top 3 worst writers.

I also never saw the appeal in Nicholas Sparks. Eh.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #13  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

I completely agree about Dean Koontz and Dan Brown. The Da Vinci Code was so annoying with the chapter breaks at just the "most" suspenseful part.

I do, however, love Margaret Atwood.

To add to the list: Judith Krantz and anything else of the Harlequin generation. Anything that involves a memoir of alcoholism (there is rarely a unique insight, just a recounting of bad drinking episodes). Also, I never found David Sedaris very funny or entertaining (though I'm afraid I'm the only one).
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #14  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Patricia Cornwell---had a chemistry teacher who so adored this author that she made some of her books required reading for her class....ugh! And don't even get me started on the author's mistaken theory that cost her a butt load of money to "prove" in her Jack the Ripper novel (I forget what the exact title of the book was).

Danielle Steel--only book of hers I sorta liked was Message from Nam, but that's about it. Very much overrated...I swear, this woman had more books converted into lifetime shows than anyone else I know.

Shakespeare--honestly cannot stand this pile of works! Once you get past the language differences, I'm quite sure I would've been sleeping in my seat had I been attending the theatre back then!

James Joyce--couldn't even get past the first chapter....in fact, don't think I even got out of the first chapter!

Hmm...come to think of it, most any books during my school years that were considered classical or worthy to be read I found to be utterly boring in the extremes....
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I loved Patricia Cornwall's earlier books, but lately they've become really awful. Her characters are self-indulgent, whiny, nasty people and I just don't enjoy reading about them any more. I quit buying them several books ago and I haven't even check the new on out from the library yet ... just because I don't really care.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote