Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Weird Experience

I stopped by my PCP to pick up my labwork to take to my 3 month appointment and about four or five nurses came and stood around me and wanted to talk with me about my WLS. I asked them why and I guess that they have some really sick people that have had WLS and they have had lots of complications. I told them for every one person that has a problem there are hundreds that don't have problems. Of course, my nursing instinct kicked in and I wanted to know the patients histories, their co-morbities, and their compliance. They wouldn't give me any particulars, but they said one had had a constant stomach ache and they finally did a revision and she is now back up to 300 pounds, a man had been in and out of the hospital for WLS complications since he had the surgery, and they didn't tell me anymore. After all they are a doctor's office and there is a great possibility that they are going to see more than the normal amount with complications. It was weird! I wondered if they were trying to warn me or what! One kept asking me over and over if I was really all right. I know one of the girls in their office had WLS, but I don't think she works there anymore. Sure was strange.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Where are you getting your statistics that hundreds of patients have no complications to every 1 who does? Is this your personal surgeon's record? I've always been told that your surgeon's stats are more important than the national average, which I've never seen an estimate higher than 1 in 50, and some as high as 40%. The mortality rate also, I've seen estimated anywhere from 1 in 50 to 1 in 200. Even at the best estimate, it's nearly as high as that of open heart surgery.

I am not against the surgery. I considered it for myself, very carefully, but it disturbed me greatly that the risks (that were reported) were higher than I was willing to accept at this time. I do find it very troubling that the statistics for weight loss surgery are not being kept very well, especially over the long term. There are very few studies that extend beyond the first few months, and even fewer past the first year. There also seems to be a growing trend of surgeons not explaining the risks to patients. I find this extremely troubling, as the prognosis is worst for patients who have not been well informed of the risks or well prepared for complications should they occur.

The reaction of the nurses is in response to their experience, so I wouldn't shrug it off as "weird." It just means they've seen a large number of WLS complications. It could be a coincidence, or might reflect on the skill of local surgeons (either overall, or one bad surgeon doing a lot of operations).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

sounds strange indeed! What an odd bunch. Funny what people feel comfortable saying to a relative stranger.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

there's A LOT that goes into these questions - Kaplods is right about the surgeon's experience being the most important factor, but there's also a huge patient compliance issue that goes along with this. And there's also the issue that sometimes patients can't tolerate any discomfort, even though it goes away after a couple of months.

Now, please don't misinterpret that paragraph above - there ARE serious issues with SOME people. there ARE major complications that can happen over both the short AND the long-term. it takes constant vigilance so that we eat appropriately, exercise, take our vits, see our docs, get our blood work done. and we're ALL at risk forever. But there's a huge difference between doing everything in our power to make this work and giving up because it's too hard. and i've seen more of THAT than i've seen of serious complications.

i know of one woman who had to have a revision because her entire digestive tract became ulcerated. another woman i know MIGHT have to have a revision, but there's still hope that her ulcer will heal. one dear friend has to have regular iron infusions because she just can't maintain her iron level.

this stuff is serious.

WLS is relatively new, and the stats are accumulating. it's still gonna take some time before EVERYTHING is known.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Strange and kinda unprofessional imho.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #6  

I am a nurse and find this totally out of line. Next time remind them that HIPAA prohibits them talking to you about your case unless they are directly involved or you chose to share information with them. I am appaulded that they would surround you in the office and ask you questions. It is NON OF THEIR BUSINESS and totally against HIPAA. If this happens again I think I would talk to the office manager and maybe they need an inservice on patient confidentiality.
Carole
PS WLS is not relatively new. RNYs have been being performed for more than 20 years. Gastric banding has been done for longer than that. The two newer surgeries are the Lap Band and Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy which the latter has been performed for about 5 years.

Last edited by quilting lady; 01-18-2008 at 09:25 PM.
quilting lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's kind of hard to pin down WLS statistics. Surgeons often say the statistics aren't as bad as they seem because they're based on older procedures and not on newer techniques and the fact that doctors have more experience, and yet very few are keeping good current statistics, so they can't say what the new, "better" statistics are. For people willing to take the risks, knowing there is still a big unknown, more power to them. However, I still think better records need to be kept for people who want a more solid answer before going under the knife.

I do think the office staff definitely have crossed HIPPA lines, but then again, their actions make me suspicious that they know something that they cannot share. Maybe I'm paranoid, but just in case, if I were in your place, I would do an internet search for malpractice suits filed against my surgeon. The feeling you had that they were trying to warn you of something, may not be off the mark.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I dying to find out all of the hub-bub in their office and why they were so "curious" about my surgery. I really don't know any of staff very well except my doctor, because they have such a turn over there. There are three doctors and a physicial's assistant and the place is nuts.

When I went to the office in September to see if my PCP would treat me after WLS and you know how the nurse has to triage you a little. Well, I told her why I was here and she said "For weight loss all you need is a little willpower and a good support group." She is a skinny as a stick and probably in her early 20s, and I said, in my usual tactful way, "Are you stupid or something. I'm 56 y/o, and by this time I have tried willpower along with every diet known to man. My health and body are suffering badly and it is time for me to be proactive with WLS!" She just gave me a dirty look and walked out. My PCP was estatic about my WLS and still is. I wasn't offended when the staff was talking with me in the back room, but after I got home and told my DH about it all he told me they didn't sound all the professional to him. I'm not going to do anything about it now, but if it happens again, then yes I will probably talk with the office manager.

My WL surgeon has an excellent record. He is only 38 y/o, but before he came to the private clinic that I went too he was at Ohio State University where he did WLS. I didn't have any qualms about him at all and then the girl that got my original date had her surgery done when the State of Ohio came in to redo the clinics certification and they followed her from the beginning of her admission until her discharge. The lady that went in with her during the surgery told my friend afterward that the surgeon was excellent, so that just re-enforced what I already knew.

Oh, the mysteries of life!!!! LOL!!! I'm always glad when I read someone who is a few years out from WLS and telling us that they are doing find and have had no problems, then.....there are always those who have had everything in the book. Considering right now I have a life and will continue to have one hopefully without consequences, as compared to the constant pain, sleeplessness, expectations of extensive back surgery, looming diabetes, and not being able to be a very good helpmate to my DH, I'll take whatever I can get for as long as I can get it. Of course, my clinic gave me excellent statistic, but I'm a nurse and have had a few cases of botched WLS, people who have had complications, people who were noncompliant, etc., but I have to say that most of these people were quite a few years post-op and had major problems before WLS. I also think that there have been advances in techniques and equipment when doing the RNY. Every surgery has a risk, last year my floor lost a 4 y/o girl who came in to have her tonsils out. There was never any cause established and it was awful. I don't dwell on the fact that I might have problems, I dwell on living my fullest and best everyday. I have a list taller than I am of things that I want to do to my house, with my family and with my church. Too bad that at 56 y/o, I'll probably only get about 1/3 of everything done!!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited by nanj; 01-19-2008 at 02:21 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #9  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

3 Cheers for you Nancy!! You have the right attitude. I'm 58 & I'm anxiously waiting for the next 4 years to pass so I can work on my "list" full time & not have work get in the way.

You know, I get several questions about WLS from my PCP & staff, my Rheumatologist & staff and also from people that are just starting the journey at my Surgeon's office. It makes me feel special. I guess I look at it as being able to share the information that might be carried to someone else in the same condition I was in. If my sharing my experiences can help to give someone else a better life, then that is what God is calling me to do. My Rheumatologist is the one with the most questions. I am his first patient to have WLS & he knows all the textbook & study answers, but likes to ask someone personally about stuff. He's a professor at IUPUI as well, so if the info I give him, carries to his students, there are more doctors in the future who can say to their patients, "Our professor had a patient that had RNY and was off most of her meds, lost over 100#, delayed the need for knee replacements and no longer needs a cane to walk. Maybe we should check that solution out for you." Maybe it is all a fantasy, but I like to think that me sharing can help someone else.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote