Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Default What was the Hardest to give UP!!

I know that there are somethings that you have to give up. What was the hardest thing for you to give up for the surgery. I am 4 month smoke free this week and some would think that That would be the hardest. For me I am dreading giving up Pop/Soda. I am big pop (Diet Dew) drinker and almost always have one close at hand. I have started backing off of the stuff, but man!

Share with us what was the hardest!!!
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #2  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I haven't given up anything...just modified mostly. As far as soda goes - I used to enjoy 2-3 cans/day....I started drinking herbal teas about a month ago and have virtually given them up...I'll have one once in awhile if I go out to eat or want to pick one up at the grocery.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Hummmmm....given up??? You mean besides the booze, drugs, men, cigarettes, loud parties, fast cars AND faster motorcycles?

I like that phrase "given up". I see it as turning that thing over by my own choice to something outside of myself and then letting it go. Beautiful really, those things that make us miserable, that we depend on in an unhealthly way, we can give them "up"!

I have given up soda and fast food (been months) and given up sitting in front of the TV all evening (go do something involving movement these days). I have also given up on thinking that having surgery and being thin is going to make me happy...that comes from entirely different part of the body...the heart and mind.

Thanks,

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-17-2008 at 01:35 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

the thing is, most of the stuff you have to 'give up' is stuff you actually GET BACK later. just in smaller portions. except for soda. there's no good way to drink that at any point. EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE [like every couple of months!!], i get a really good diet black cherry soda, pour it over lots of ice, and think that i've died and gone to heaven. but i KNOW that if i do that every day, i'll be sick and will jeopardize the surgery.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default NaDa!

I really haven't given up anything that I really like. I have tried to find a healthier way to eat things; like tortilla pizzas. I was not a soda drinker, just water and tea. I have chosen not to do white potatoes, white rice, white breads, white pastas, white flours, things like that. I have added a few fats back into my diet like 2 % cheeses, because the fat free, to me, are little hard pieces of cardboard with no taste and don't melt. I have to keep some fat in my diet for skin health. What sets me off sometimes is the smell of baking breads that I do for my DH, but bread is not a good thing for me to put back into my diet. For one thing, that is the only thing that I really have a problem with swallowing and the other thing is I WOULD PIG OUT ON IT with butter, lots and lots of butter and sop up the gravy and then probably roll in it!!!! I wasn't a big dessert fan, but I am getting ready to try a sugar free low fat recipe for cheesecake. But, considering that I hardly have room for my protein, a bite of veggies and my pills, I don't think much about that kind of stuff. If I need something crunchy, I eat baked cheese, a few All-Brand crackers, or a couple of pork rinds. A piece of wasa bread with a 2 % cheese slice. I occasionally have 1/2 of an Oh Yeah protein wafer, Mint or Vanilla Peanut Butter. And my chocolate fix is a 35 cal. piece of Citracal Chewy Bites and I understand that they can now only be boughten on line. Dang it! I have for the first time since the first week of surgery, have had my first problems with head hunger this week. I think it is stress related, because of my DD abusive situation. Imagine that I would think about food during stress?!! I have had one, what I would consider, a major screw up on not so smart food selection. I didn't eat breakfast and about 1:30 I was so hungry I felt sick. Stopped at Taco Bell to get some pinto beans and instead ordered a Beef Baja Chalupa to just eat the insides!! Yeah right! Ate 2/3s of the outside also. When I got home and looked up the nut. info. 30 gms of fat; 410 cal. and very little protein and lots of carbs. I will not do that again!! EVER! My Mac and CHeese revision was a disaster and I wouldn't even try it after I made it after I calculated the Nut info; so I'm going to try redoing that one again.

Remember this is a lifestyle change and somethings just aren't good for your lifestyle, so give it up!!!

Last edited by nanj; 01-17-2008 at 11:03 AM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

I wouldn't say this was *hard* to give up, but sometimes I miss sandwiches! LOL

I will occasionally get a six inch tuna wrap (a wrap, not regular bread) at Subway, and I can eat about 3 inches of it (sometimes less) and that satisfies my sandwich urge

I've learned to make just about anything that I want sugar-free or really low sugar. I like the Pillsbury Reduced Sugar cake mixes and frosting. Made with splenda and VERY good.
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #7  

Oh I forgot..
Sometimes I'll have a Thomas Multi-grain english muffin (only 100 calories) with a little peanut butter and honey (both of which my doc says are ok as long as I don't eat a ton!) The english muffins also have like 5 grams of protein I think.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #8  

Default I know I know

Do not get me wrong. I know I am making a life style change and pop will not be healthy for me. I finally got it in my brain to start thinking of the pop like I do the smoke. In reality NEITHER are good for me. Maybe I will not miss as much as I think and right now it is just so much of a habit to reach and get one. In the past I have went weeks with water never touching my lips. Like I said I am backing off of it now and trying not to buy it for the house. I would say on an average day I use to drink about 1 liter (minimum) a day of Dt Dew. One thing I have learned over the last several months is that I am not really giving uyp anything, I am just changing the way Ilook at it, approach it and how much. But its an interesting conversation piece! Look Nanj I am starting to rattle like you do!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #9  

When i stopped drinking soda
one day i was like i wont drink it anymore
it was basically cold turkey
and i haven't had soda since
so i guess thats one thing i should be proud of.
KissMyConverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #10  

I love the Thomas Multi-grain English muffins! I have 1/2 once a week with a tablespoon of PB&Co White Chocolate Peanut Butter. The muffin is thin and is hard to cut, but oh so good. I haven't tried a wrap from Subway, I didn't know they had them for regular sandwiches.

Whitelion: Rattle away!!!! You brat!!I forgot to tell you that I'm so very happy that you gave up the cigs! I didn't know you had quit and if you can give up those things you can do just about anything you set your mind too. Scared me to death when I saw your dad with a cig and oxygen too! HOLY COW!! Oh, if you do happen to do a carbonated beverage after WLS, you will be in for a surprise. I took some Airborne for a cold and if you don't know it is like an orange flavored Alka-Sletzer and I swear it kept coming back up and out my nose and mouth. I tried to talk and couldn't because of all the carbonation coming out. That was an experience that I don't think I would like to repeat. Now let's talk about your ice cream addiction!!!!!!! LOL!!!! Remember sugar alcohols can give you terrible gas!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #11  

Default Omg

I never said anything about an Ice cream addition!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #12  

It's ok, I used to love ice cream too.....until I found out what sugar-free ice cream does to me....YIKES.

100% Fruit Juice popsicles are yummy though
Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #13  

Default Fluffygirl is very brave!

Hey Fluffy, I'm not brave enough to try the SF ice cream yet, but I have heard there can be some terrible consequences. When I was on my three week full liquids, my DH got me some SF ice cream and I fed it to the grandkids. They are still around, so I know it isn't fatal, but........LOL!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #14  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Hmmm... KFC and Taco Bell. My two absolutely favorite junky fast foods.

And Salt and Vinegar Lays potato chips

Last edited by tamaralynn; 01-18-2008 at 03:17 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #15  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

i miss cheetos and mexican food. i miss chips an cheese. all of the things that got me this way. junk food and eating out. and cereal at night. i am a loser. literally now. ha ha
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote