Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Something strange is happening to my skin

I just noticed that both my forearms are looking webby. They have what looks like a reddish purple spider web on the insides of both of them. It isn't on the top of them.

I haven't changed my diet. I haven't added any new vitamins. Everytime I wash my hands, I put moisturizer on my hands and arms (except when I'm handling food). I haven't changed my moisturizer. I haven't changed soap or laundry detergent.

They don't itch or hurt. It's chilly now, but not cold.

I usually wear short sleeves. I get too hot to wear long sleeves in the office.

Any clues?

Last edited by cbmare; 01-16-2008 at 05:16 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #2  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

I think I know what you're talking about. This happens to my arms and hands sometimes, too! I always thought it was the blood vessels under the skin showing through. I have no idea what causes it because it will happen at really random times. It doesn't seem to hurt at all!

I'll be interested if anyone else knows what this is...
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. It's scarey looking.

Does yours disappear after a while? It takes about an hour for mine to subside.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-16-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I get that on the back of my hands and underside of my forearms. It looks bizarre, and it usually happens right after I step out a warm shower into cold air. It will hang around for a while then just goes away. The first time I saw it I totally freaked out (it had never happened/I had never noticed until I was 7 months pregnant with my second daughter). I thought I was dying of some dread pregnancy disease, lol!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #5  
Smartypants

Any number of things could be causing it. My daughter's skin was temperature sensitive; she'd look like she's gotten slapped after her nightly bath, it was really odd. It could be rosecea, eczema, vitamin deficiencies, a simple reaction to a lotion or soap you are using....the list is endless. I do know that if you are concerned, seeing your doctor is always a good idea. Unless I'm 100%, I never self diagnose; sometimes the doc agrees with my suspicions, and sometimes it's something I would have never guessed. I would suggest you take a picture of it when it occurs, and schedule an appointment with your doctor. Ask them to do a CDC just to make sure you're not short on iron or any other vitamin (although your doc will likely do this anyway), and see what he/she says. My fiance has eczema on his forearms too, though he didn't know that's what it was til he saw his doc; now he has cream to use that helps alot. I unfortunately have small eczema on - of all places - my areola. Yes it majorly sucks. and it flares up under stress big time, and in the winter time. And again, I found that out by my doc. So get yourself tested - it's always better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps!

Last edited by txangelgirl; 01-16-2008 at 08:54 PM.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #6  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. It's scarey looking.

Does yours disappear after a while? It takes about an hour for mine to subside.
Yes, mine is about the same. I do happen to think it must somehow be temperature related, although I have not been able to pinpoint what kinds of temperature bring it on.

I know that I am anemic, and I wonder if it is somehow related. I know that I tend to have very cold hands and feet because of the anemia too.
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

My last bloodwork showed no vitamin deficiency. No eczema.

It's gone right now. I think it may be a sensitivity to cold. After reading some of the responses, I did notice that it comes after I've gotten cold. It goes away when I warm up.

I will keep track of it. Altari, I'm so glad it was nothing to worry about. There's so much that can go wrong with a pregnancy.

Holli, how terrible! I hope your stress times are few.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-16-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #8  
Smartypants

Yes it is terrible....my niblets are quite irritated with me, no pun intended. Zinc eh? That is very interesting....

Christine, are you taking anything for that? I would ask your doc about some iron supplements or something to get that under control. In the meantime I found this on webmd: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/u...nemia-symptoms not sure if it mentions the cold hands and feet though, but yeah I'd ask the doc about it.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote