Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #1  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Cool Thin4Life - Week of 1/13/08

Hi Ladies! I used the guy with the shades for this thread because I need them this morning to block out all that beautiful white snow

My eating this weekend was... bad. To say the least. I finally opened up to DH about my eating lately and why I've been eating horribly and he's going to help me out with those things. He also suggested I go back to see my counselor again, which I think I am going to do. DH also suggested getting the gym membership I've been thinking of. I haven't been able to exercise and if I had a gym membership I could do some light exercise now and start jogging again (on the treadmill - better than on the pavement) and lately I've been wanting to jog because I know it will help me feel better.

Lisa - PTs recommended I throw out my shoes (too worn) and get a new pair. They didn't give me a brand, but a sheet with different things on it - how the shoe should be constructed. I still haven't gone out to the store yet though.

I need to catch up with all the posts from last week. I hope you all had a better weekend than me

Last edited by modkittn; 01-14-2008 at 08:16 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

It's snowing here, too, Lori! It's more of a fine type snow but it's white. We're supposed to get around an inch and the temps are supposed to get progressively colder as the week goes on.

I did not have a stellar weekend of eating either--I actually look forward to the start of the week because I know I have structure. I did make some good soups up for during the week (Spicy Lentil, Stuffed Pepper, and Cheesy Vegetable) and they're all packed into single serve containers that I can bring with me to work. I need to work on planning ahead for my meals. I'm on my last day with the antibiotic so hopefully after this things will calm down.

I did have to call the dentist because I have a tooth that's been bothering me and I've been trying to ignore it but it's getting to the point that I can't anymore. Can I tell you how much I hate going to the dentist?!

Pam: How about those Patriots? They really are on a roll and from what the announcers have been saying this is history in the making. They really do have a great team. How's everything going with you? Is your DH doing better?

Lisa: Hope you had a good weekend!

Susan: What's new in your neck of the woods?
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

I started the thread this morning and the whole thing disappeared! This is really getting to be annoying. I can't remember everything that I said either.

I had a good weekend staying OP and I know that I lost a couple pounds. I will keep on going, but one day at a time, right Susan and Lori? I've been keeping up my activity, but it's so hard to stop the snacking. Yesterday when I was hungry, I ate fruit and drank water.

DH had to work on Sunday, so I spent the day watching football and cleaning out closets and drawers. Our church rummage sale is at the end of the month, so I wanted to contribute. I have 3 bags and 3 boxes of stuff.

It's cooler here today--low 60s, much different from the 80 degree temps we had yesterday.

Tanya, Woo-hoo for you for losing weight. Just keep on doing what you're doing. You're on the right track. I'd like to take Freddie's class!

Melissa, Those soups sound good. Are they WW recipes? Low points?

Hi to Pam and Susan.
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #4  

Hi Ladies,

I'm working from home today due to all the snow early this morning. Close to a foot of the heavy slushy white stuff on the ground but the temps are not too bad. This year we hired a snow plowing contractor to plow the driveway so I was very greatful to not have to shovel that heavy snow.
I joined a new wellness program at work that continues throughout the year. My new weigh in day will be on Wednesday morning and I'm really hoping that I'll be able to get back to regular exercise and better eating. Things have been so chaotic at home the past few months which has contributed greatly to my bad eating and exercising pattern.

Melissa Yes I can't believe how well the Pat's are doing. I'm kind of glad the Colts lost the other day because I think they could have been a real threat. DH is doing very well. He's ready to go back to work and his doc's gave him the OK to start again on Feb 1st. Perfect timing since he's a CPA and tax season is upon us! Glad you are doing better. I've been having problems similar to yours and am scheduled to have a sonohystagram next week. I've heard it can be a little uncomfortable and was instructed to take 2 motrine before the appointment.

Lisa I did a little closet cleaning this weekend also and have 2 bags to drop off at Goodwill later on this week. I also started a thread earlier today and it disappeared..that was the first time that happened to me. Not sure what I did wrong but it was frustrating.

Lori the gym membership is a good idea. Sounds like you have a very considerate DH. I hope you a feeling better soon.

Hi to Susan and welcome again to Tanya!

Well DH just came in from grocery shopping so I should help him put everything away. Have a great Monday ladies...talk to you tomorrow!
McHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #5  

Pam, A foot of the white stuff, huh? That's a lot. How great that your DH can go back to work. He's probably ready. Isn't it funny how we all say "Ugh, I have to go to work." Then when we can't work, we're looking forward to going back. Yes, with all you've been through, I'm sure your eating and exercising has not been what you'd like.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #6  

This is the recipe for the Spicy Red Lentil Chili--one of our local grocery stores features this and they have the recipe available. It's really good and a tad spicy! It's 3 points per serving and it makes 7 servings.

Spicy Red Lentil Chili

1 cup dry pink lentils
4 cup water
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup onion(s)
1/4 cup celery
4 tsp garlic clove(s)
1 cup Contadina Diced Tomatoes
2 cup vegetable broth
1 Tbsp hot pepper sauce*
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
1/4 cup green pepper(s)

Bring lentils and 2 cups water to boil on high heat; turn off heat. Remove half the lentils and liquid; place in food processor or blender (can use immerision blender) and puree, about 1 minute.

Melt butter in soup pot on Medium-Low. Add onions and sweat (sofen without browning) 2 min. Add celery and garlic, sweat 5 more min. Add tomatoes; cook 5 minutes.

Add vegetable broth, remaining 2 cups water and seasonings. Bring to a simmer.

Add reserved whole and pureed lentils plus liquid and cook until the lentils are tender; about 15 minutes.

Combine cornstarch and 2 Tbs water to make a slurry. Bring soup to a boil; add slurry and stir 30 seconds to thicken slightly. Turn off heat; add green peppers. Season to taste with salt.

*Note: I only use a teaspoon of hot pepper sauce and the soup still has a good bite to it.

Last edited by MelissaL; 01-14-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200.6/174.4/150

Height: 5'6

Red face having an ok day

Good afternoon Ladies,
I don't know what it is today but I am just not motivated and I am soooo hungry. I only have 3 points left for the day, but I can use a few extras. I went to the gym, but because of the snow Freddie's class was canceled, so I just did cardio. I did 45 minutes, but then my mom had to leave because my dad was having plow trouble, so I didn't do any weights. I just feel blah This is my first day since re-joining that I felt so ugh. I know there will be many to follow, but I just want today to be over. Oh and Jackson was playing in my closet this morning, while I was getting dressed for the gym and I accidentally hit him in the mouth w/ my sneaker and busted his lip. It looks horrible, and I really didn't think it hit him that hard. I feel awful. There is nothing worse than your child hurting and knowing it's your fault Good news is, he doesn't seem to be in any pain and he is on his 4th no accident day, as far as potty training and is waking up dry too!!!

Pam, I am so excited about the Pats! I also was happy that the Colts lost. They are a good team and we used to live in KY when DH was still in the Military and a lot of our friends are Colts fans. Indiana is just a few miles form where we lived in Louisville. DH and his USMC buddies are usually calling each other during games and taunting each other, but hey have been avoiding our call this season, LOL.

Melissa,That recipe sounds great. I am not a spicy chili fan, but I can modify it. I LOVE lentils and DH likes things so hot that you can't even taste them! Actually all three of them sound delicious. I am a big soup fan but I avoid it because of the sodium. I heard in my last WW meeting that homemade soups are not as high in sodium... is that true? It makes sense. If so, I may start making some on Sundays for the week. I love cooking and feeling prepared will help me stay motivated.

Hi Lisa and Lori
tanya1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #8  

Another chilly day in Florida. I stayed OP yesterday which made me happy. I went to my Tai Chi class last night and I've made progress. I found out my role for the movie I'll be in. I'm the real estate lady. That's all I know for now. The director said I auditioned really well. Speaking of auditions, I'm trying out for Pirates of Penzance on Sunday. We'll see.

Tanya, Hey, we all have blah days. Just hang there. Today's a new day. Funny that your DH likes the hot food. Mine does, too. We'll go out for wings (not one of my favorites) and he'll order the "Call 911" variety.

Melissa, Thanks for the recipe, but I think that's too spicy for me. How much snow did you get?

Hi, Pam and Lori
Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #9  

Good morning! We just got a dusting of snow--only about 2" worth, just enough to cover the grass. I guess in the snowbelt area they had more. The temps are supposed to go down into the single digits for the weekend. Brrrr.

You can adjust the spiciness of the soup--the last recipe I made I only used 1 tsp. of Tabasco and it wasn't that bad. You could probably take it down to a half and it'd be just right or even eliminate the Tabasco altogether. The chili is a pretty orange/red and certainly brightens up the dismal days we've been having!

Tanya: I know exactly what you're talking about having "blah" days--I had one last Thursday and I struggled to stay focused. I remember when my youngest son was small, probably about Jackson's age and he ran into my hand and my ring (one I rarely wear) caught him on the cheek and cut him, I was so upset and to top it off we were on our way to get pictures done! He still has a thin scar on his cheek from the run-in and each time I see it I remember what happened. Homemade soups are definitely better because you control what goes into them--I love cooking from scratch and soups are great this time of year. There's a Spicy Black Bean soup that I got from the WW website and a Canadian Bacon Potato Chowder that is out of this world.

Lisa: Congrats on getting another part and good luck with Pirates! It may be cold in FL but at least you still have the sun!

Pam: I had heard that your area got hit with the snow--it all headed up your way and missed us! Our snowfall for January is really low and it makes me wonder what February is going to bring! Good luck with your test--I hope it goes well. I had a endometrial biopsy done and that wasn't the most comfortable procedure.

It's dreary here this morning--overcast/gray so it's really hard to be upbeat. A little sunshine would do wonders for the energy level!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #10  

Hi ladies! Yesterday was my first on track day in quite some time. I'm very proud of myself! I also watched 3:10 to Yuma last night - I loved it!

Pam - Glad to hear your DH is doing so much better! Don't beat yourself over the eating and exercising. You'll get back into the habit when things get back to "normal" for you.

Tanya - I've had lots of days like that! Just try to start over. Each day is a chance for a fresh start

Lisa - Congrats on the part and good luck with the audition! We had warm weather all last week, and now there is snow on the ground and it is cold out again. So go New England winters

Melissa - That soup looks good! I made a 15 Bean soup last week (buy package of 15 beans, follow directions on the back) and it was DELICIOUS. I used some leftover ham from a spiral ham I made. I still have more leftover, and I plan on making split pea soup this weekend to use the ham up. We got about 4" here in that storm. My parents (who live north of Boston) got around a foot!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #11  

Yum, all this talk about homemade soup has made me hungry. I love soup!

Tanya, I feel bad that I didn't comment on Jackson's injury. Don't beat yourself up about it. It was an accident. I remember when I was a child--all of my photos show me with bandages on both knees. I guess I was always falling down. LOL
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #12  

I love homemade anything I really don't like going out to eat and thinking about the people who made my food and whether or not they are... sanitary. Plus, I love being able to control everything I put in my meals ! I usually only have one processed item per day. Today it was is Fiber One bar.

I've been doing great - the past two days have been successful for me and I'm shedding that water weight really quickly.

My only problem is being able to tell what day it is. Since I came into work on Sunday, it feels like today is Thursday but really its Wednesday AND I will have to come into work on Saturday too. Pooh!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #13  

Hi Ladies,

Well a good weigh in for me today down 1.5lbs hopefully I can keep it going. My DH met with a dietician yesterday and I was happy to find out that for the most part our meals are pretty healty choices. She made a few modifications to his diet, the biggest was to try and incorporate more protein and told him to keep doing what he's doing. He's lost 25lbs since his surgery in October and would like to lose another 25 although I think that may be too much but his docs think it would be fine. I'm happy he's doing so well!

Tanya so sorry about Jackson's injury, I know you must feel guilty but these things happen with little children. I remember when my DD was a baby I was triming her fingernails and she moved quickly. I snipped a little of the skin on her pinky finger! She has a tiny little scar which she still likes to show me from time to time

Lori I share your thoughts about restaraunt cleanliness. My daughter is in a culinary program at school and the things she tells me could turn you off completely from eating out! Glad your shedding the water weight!

Melissa thanks for the recipe I'm going to give it a try! Ack I'm so sick of snow. Looks like another sleety mess headed my way for Friday.

Lisa I loved Pirates of Penzance good luck on Sunday! I must have missed that you were trying out for a part in a movie. What movie will you be in?

Do any of you ladies watch the Biggest Loser. I really enjoy this show and can't believe how well some of the contestants do. It's on Tuesdays evening, check it out if you get a chance. Well time to make lunch...talk to you tomorrow.
McHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #14  

I had another OP day yesterday. I'm proud of myself. Today is going well, too. I saw a tray of cookies at work (usually I would grab one), but I actually told myself "no, you don't need that" and walked away. I think I may have said it out loud; hope no one heard me.

Pam, Congrats on the loss. That is great! Also glad to hear about your DH. He is doing really well. DH and I watched "Loser" one time; he was grossed out by how big they were, but they were at least trying to lose weight. Regarding the movie, there is a local independent company making a movie called "A Vacant House." It's sort of a spooky one. I play Mrs. Katz, a real estate agent, whose husband commits suicide in a vacant house that I have listed. My GF and her husband asked the director to be extras in the movie and they're doing that. It should be good experience--I have not done much in films, mostly stage work.

Oh, yech, I don't want to know about kitchens at restaurants.

Lori, I'm like you. I love homemade cooking, although DH and I probably eat more processed foods than we should. We do try to limit that. We are not ones to eat out. I cook almost every night.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #15  

I went to my meeting at noon and there were a ton a people there! Our group has been so small the past 3 months but it was good to see some new faces (and old ones). I stayed the same which is good--I looked at my journal and it seems that I'm running into problems with the BLT's. I need to focus on that this week and working on my activity. Both of these things are very do-able.

Lori: I've made the bean soups in the packages like that and they are good! I usually keep ham hocks in the freezer so I can make homemade bean soup or split pea. I love to cook from scratch! Have you tried the new caramel Fiber One bar? I think it tastes more like butterscotch but it's really good!

Pam: Way to go on the loss!! I'm glad that DH is doing well; if only we could drop the weight the way guys can! The forecast for the weekend is not very promising here either--snow, squalls, etc. The overcast days are what really make me feel so lethargic! It's hard to get up and stay motivated throughout the day.

Lisa: Good for you for passing up on the cookies! I talk to myself the same way and sometimes I catch myself saying things out loud so you're not alone.

I have a Wellness Meeting this afternoon--we're in the midst of finalizing our annual wellness fair for February 5th so things are coming together. Thank goodness it's Wednesday!