PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 04:08 PM   #1  

Default BRAND NEW Findings on Insulin Resistance

I belong to a service called Acurian.com. I mainly joined it to be alerted of Clinical Trials for PCOS, Insulin Resistance...etc. Well they also send articles about your particular "disease". This one just came through and WOW WEE does it give some hope and promise!! Thought you all might be interested in reading it, as Insulin Resistance is SO tied into
PCOS.

http://www.acurian.com/patient/conte...amp=mlnewshtml

Enjoy the article!!

Yvonne
Old 02-06-2002, 07:25 AM   #2  
aka Zippy LiverFace

This is a great site! Thank you!
Old 02-12-2002, 11:20 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Thanks for posting this site. I did try to sign up, but PCOS and Insulin Resistance weren't options. Were they when you signed up?
Old 02-12-2002, 11:56 PM   #4  

Default Another new article and replies

Just wanted to let you all know the newest Woman's Day has a FANTASTIC article about PCOS, with some of the newest info out there.

One interesting note. They are finding after doing studies that lowering your carbs doesnt' help the PCOS woman to lose any quicker than a traditional low-fat diet. Just made me think.

Jennifer - At Acurian.com, you'll need to select a few things for PCOS.....

Menstrual Disorders
Metabolic Disorders
Ovarian Cysts/Polycystic Ovaries

That should work for you!!

Yvonne
Old 02-13-2002, 10:38 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Thanks for the links Yvonne! I will try again with those options...don't know why that didn't occur to me before. Surfing at 1am might have something to do with it!

I will check out the new Woman's Day. Is that where you got the info about the low carb diet? I am VERY curious to read that article and see if they mentioned insulin resistance in it. I am just at a stand still on weight loss. The only change really in my lifestyle over the last 2 weeks is no exercise. I need to re-evaluate my diet plan I suppose...it is a good thing I am patient!
Old 02-13-2002, 11:40 PM   #6  

Jennifer,

Yes, I couldn't BELIEVE it!! The article about NOT eating low-carb is in Women's Day. I mean my doctor has been saying that to me for a year. He went to an obesity seminar last year and told me that was the stats then too. That low-carbing will show an initial loss than curve back up. He encouraged me to stick with low fat/calorie.

I have to tell you what Sam is doing. This last week for VERY hard for me. I started the Avandia 2 wks ago, and had my monthly weigh-in with WW this week. I GAINED 4lbs. The worst yet. I sobbed after the weigh-in and Sam just hugged me and tried to console me. I was SO low. I told him "What's the use, it doesn't work anyways".

But again, I'm NOT a quitter, I just can't. I asked him (in the car), why he felt I don't give up. My daughter (10 yo) says "Cause you want to be thin more than anything". Out of the mouths of babes!!

So later that night after his shower, he comes out to me and says "I had this thought and I want you to listen to this whole thing". I want to eat for one month, exactly like you. I want to feel what you do, when it comes to deprivation. I want to help you get over this wall." My doctor had suggested that I go to 1200-1400 calories a day. I have a new program on my Palm and have been tracking my calories and although I'm staying within my pts (mostly), I am eating about 1500-1600 calories a day. So what Sam proposed is that we eat 1200-1400 calories a day with one day a week for 1600 (a week) so he can get his cheeseburger fix in. LOL

He's wanting to quit smoking and knows he'll probably gain about 20lbs, plus he could stand to lose about 20lbs. He says "we'll, keep each other going".

Let me tell you. I felt truely LOVED!! I mean, he TOTALLY doesn't have to do this, but wants to, to help me out. <<SIGH>>

I wanted to share that and will probably cross-post this to another site as an update!!

Thanks for reading and listening.

Yvonne
Old 02-16-2002, 12:07 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

Default Awww

Sam sounds like a wonderful man! Rob is very supportive of me, also. It really means a lot to have that support!

Good luck Yvonne!!
Closed Thread