Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #1  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Unhappy This is the 1st step right?

I'm an emotional overeater. Whenever I'm sad, I eat. Whenever I'm bored, I eat. Whenever I'm angry, I eat. Whenever I'm stressed, I eat. It sucks. Whenever we're out of food and between pay checks, I find myself eating sugar directly out of the sugar bowl!!!! Or you know, getting big spoonfuls of peanut butter. The grossiest thing I ever ate was chocolate cake & pickles. I blamed it on PMS, but really I just needed to eat because I was stressed out. I honestly do not know how to stop. I read celeb gossip constantly, and I always wish I looked like those bone thin actresses. But of course, I know that its not really realistic. I havent been skinny since I was 10 years old!!! And even then I thought I was fat, so I overate.

I'm starting a new diet soon..and if I overeat, then the side effects wont be pretty. I'm so afraid that its gonna happen to. How do I get some self control? What do I need to do? Should I go back on anti depressents and hope that helps a little bit?? I dunno...I'm confused.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #2  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Taking the first step is built around admitting that you are not in control, and that no diet or exercise plan will help you find that control. It means that you admit that however tightly you think you can hold on, the food ALWAYS pulls you stronger than you can hold.

The basis of the OA program is that we can't do this ourselves, and there is a higher power (God, the group, our bodies, whatever) that we can turn to for help. In the literature it talks about how one of the great paradoxes is that we find a way to manage this problem by admitting that we can't manage, by facing and accepting our weakness and looking for help outside of ourselves. The answer isn't in some special combination of or amount of food. The 'food' part is incidental. When you grasp that the food is a manifestation of another problem and you start dealing with THAT problem, you'll begin to heal.

Good luck, I hope you find your answers.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #3  
Rebecca

S/C/G: 335/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Wow, that was a great answer!

have you attended any face to face, online, or phone meetings? That is a great start to learn about OA and how it can change your life.
yummymummyOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #4  
I was born this way hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymummyOA View Post
Wow, that was a great answer!

have you attended any face to face, online, or phone meetings? That is a great start to learn about OA and how it can change your life.
No, this is the first time I've heard about an OA support group. I dont even know how to begin looking for one in my area..
Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there-

You can find an OA meeting by going to www.oa.org and searching under state and city.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #6  
I was born this way hey!

Thank you!!! I found one in my area!! I'm a little nervous about going..what should I expect??

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 01-11-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #7  
Rebecca

S/C/G: 335/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

It's completely normal to be nervous your first time. We all were.
You will find people of all different weights from underweight to morbidly obese, all ages, and all types of walks of life. We all share something together and that is compulsive over eating. There will be a leader for the group and before the meeting you will probably find people excited to be there and chatting together. Then when the meeting starts the leader will read some excerpts from the literature and talk some and start with the serentity prayer. Then he/she will see if anyone would like to share. People raise their hands to share and the leader will call on someone to speak. One thing to know about OA is that when someone is sharing there is no "cross talk" which means that speaker has his/her turn to say whatever they feel like and no one interrupts. After they are finished a thankyou or hug or nice comment is fine. After everyone who feels like sharing has shared (you are never ever made to share, it is totally up to you every meeting) the meeting will close and the leader will usually end with the serenity prayer and maybe another reading or two. When the meeting is officially over then you can go and meet people better and make friends and learn all about OA and how it can change your life.
At OA you will find a place where you feel normal and loved and accepted for who you are. There are no dues, now weighing, no one will measure you or ever ask about your weight. Loosing weight is just a great side effect of gettting you life back and having you HP give you the life you deserve.

I'm so happy you found a meeting. Please let us know how it goes!
yummymummyOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #8  
I was born this way hey!

Hmm..thanks. It's good to know that I wont be able to talk right away. I'm incredibly shy. We'll see how it goes...
Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there-
At some meetings, the sharing or reading from literature passes around the room in the circle. If you don't want to, just say pass. Also, sometimes people just share when they want to-- there's no order and no one gets called on. Every meeting is different. Some have a speaker, some read from an OA book, some just share.

The leader that was mentioned in a previous post is just the meeting secretary-- he/she doesn't have any formal leadership-- no one does. It's part of our traditions that everyone is equal with everyone else. No one is above or below another in power or prestige. We take turns giving service in different positions such as secretary or treasurer.

Also, at your meeting they will probably pass around a collection plate and ask for a donation of $1-2. You don't have to contribute. OA doesn't charge anything for program or recovery. However, you may want to contribute at some point in order to help keep the meeting going. You may be able to purchase OA books at your meeting. They're usually $9-$12.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #10  
trying to hang in there

Hi Shop

I'm glad you are here and sharing your feelings. That is definitely a step in the right direction! Keep it up and I think you would benefit from a meeting. There are fact to face meetings "and" online meetings as well. I think both are great, but I would definitely reccommend an in person meeting. I hope you are feeling encouraged and if you do attend a meeting, let us know how it went for you, ok?
love, tink oxo
tink7 is offline   Reply With Quote