Old 01-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Puppy Questions!

My boyfriend and I recently got a new puppy, a Jack Russell we named Belle, she is only 10 weeks old and I've NEVER had a puppy before, were currently trying to get her housebroken, we bought the puppy training pads that are lightly scented to attract and she has been using the pad occasionally but then sometimes she will still go on the carpet, if we catch her we try to take her to the pad and say something like 'pee here', we make sure to watch her and when we think she is looking to go to the bathroom (sniffing around etc.) we try to take her to the pad as well but she will usually just walk away, and if we catch her going on the pad, when she is done we make sure to praise her. I'm totally clueless as to whether or not were doing this ok, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

She is an extremely smart puppy, we've been taking her outside occasionally to get her used to it, and she knows her name, she knows what 'no' means, we've already got her to start obeying some commands such as stay and sit, I'm actually really surprised at how fast she is learning. I've also got her playing fetch with me too. Were also trying to teach her not to lick peoples faces since she seems to like to do that.

We have a cat as well, and we moved her food up because Belle kept eating it instead of her food, we've also noticed her trying to go in the litter box and we just tell her 'No' and she will walk away, I'm hoping eventually she will just stop trying to go in the litter box, as there isn't really many other spots in our apartment for the litter box to go. Luna (our cat) and Belle get along somewhat, it has only been 2 days so I can't really begin to tell if their gonna get along better, Belle is used to cats, the household we got her from had 4 cats, and Luna is used to other cats, she has had cats around her since we got her, she was only ever alone once we moved into our apartment about a month ago, and she was really lonely, she's never met a dog before though so I'm assuming thats why she is a bit hostile towards Belle at the moment.

Um..also, I have no idea about spaying her, I've been told you should wait for one heat cycle but then I've also read that you shouldn't. So any insight into that would be great as well, like I said I've never had a puppy before, I've had cats around me since I was a baby though, I got my first cat when I was six, the cat I have now (Luna) I got November 2006.

So any suggestions anyone has for raising a new puppy would be appreciated!! Thanks.

BELLE

LUNA

Last edited by Trixie14; 01-10-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on your new addition! Puppies are wonderful, but they are also a lot of work. I strongly recommend crate training as most puppies will not do their "business" in the same place they sleep. Puppies also do better with potty training when they are not allowed to roam in a large area. With my 3 dogs and my Dad's dog, as puppies I allowed them to come out of the crate and play in a small area only when I was able to watch them 100% of the time. As they get older, you can increase the time they are out of the crate and the area they are allowed to roam. Also, puppies generally need to use the bathroom immediately when they awake from a nap and right after they eat. This would be a great time to take them outside. Also, if there are any dogs in your neighborhood, take the puppy around that area to sniff. They will get the idea when they smell another dogs' "business."

Regarding spaying, vets used to say to wait until their first heat. Now, a lot of them are saying to catch them before this time. I would definitely check with your vet.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-10-2008 at 04:14 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #3  

Default Puppy questions

As the proud owner of 12 dogs, I can both sympathize AND speak from experience.
First the spay question: All the vets I have ever been involved in suggested to have them spayed BEFORE they went into their first heat cycle. I was told it helps cut down on their chances of cancer as well.

Now the problem of potty training is a bit more difficult.
As has been suggested, limit their free space. There are little arena type things you can get to give them freedom but limits as well. My sister had one for her puppy but I never knew their official names. I only put my puppies on tile or vinyl flooring because you can never really get the odor/stains out of the carpet (padding and all). I paper train mine as well as outdoor train them because they can't always go outside due to weather and such. I also train all the puppies I sell on newspapers for the prospective buyer's benefit. They are raised from day one on newspaper so they know it is to use for potty later. For extra absorbency I use a pad under it but put their familiar newspaper on top.
Since your pup was not given that headstart you are just going to have to be very vigilant in watching for signs. Now I am not sure about other pups but cocker spaniels go around in circles before they drop the bomb...so to speak so you could tell that way but they give no warning on the pee pee part. If you see her squating firmly tell her NO and move her to the paper or slide the paper under her. There is no "pat" answer but that is what has worked for me so far. As for outside, when you are training them, take them out early and often. As soon as they do their business bring them right back in so they will learn to relate being outside with their potty. It will take awhile but Jack Russells are very intelligent and should catch on quickly!
Good luck!!
Judy
jarjonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #4  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I work part time as a vet tech...and raised 2 puppies as well...so here goes my best answers:

Potty Training: Ditch the pads and do everything outside. My schedule as puppies was to start out walking OUTSIDE every 2 hours during the day...I know it sounds ridiculous, but well worth it in the long run. I even set my alarm clock at night to get up and walk the girls (Gigi & Tootsie). After a few days I'd make it 3 hours...a few more days, 4 hours. My girls started sleeping through the night and not wetting inside their crate (a crate is very important for you - they need to be in it whenever you are not home or sleeping...they learn quickly not to dirty their home - as previously posted). My girls can now go upwards of 12 hours at a time before needing to be walked...this doesn't happen often...but it does occassionally - I only have 3 scheduled walks for them - 7am, 3pm, 9pm....

Spaying - needs to be between 4-6 months. That is generally before their first cycle and as stated, this helps to prevent cancer. It's a sad day when a dog dies of cancer.

As for limiting space...I had a small apt. when I first had my girls...but I used baby gates at doorways in order to keep their space limited. But my best suggestion is to walk often during the first stages and to have a special treat (preferably a light treat as many foods and treats - beggin strips, pupperoni are just plain bad for your dog...better to feed them a piece of a healthy choice hotdog - low cal low fat!)

Litter box issue - I have a cat - I moved the litter box into a room with a baby gate that the pups couldn't get into. Unfortunately Belle is never going to let this habit die - cat poop is like chocolate for them (seriously, I know it kinda looks that way - but for dogs, it tastes that way too)...bad news is it is bad for her - I also recently purchased at petsmart a litter box with top entry only - so my girls can't get into it at all...you do need to do something to prevent this from happening.

You can PM me if you have any other questions - good luck!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i'm going to 2nd gatormanda..i'm a vet...spaying before 6 m of age is best since it will help prevent mammary (aka breast) cancer..if they go into the first heat cycle..it increases their chance...also its easier on the dog (and dr) if it is done when they are young. Less time under anesthesia.
Ditch the pads..they just encourage the puppy to pee in the house.
and as for the cat litter box..i have a great one..its called the clever cat. its a cat box with a lid and an opeing on top. the catsjump up and in...and the dog cant reach down.
also don't forget that puppies need at least 4 series of puppy vaccines to prevent diseases. Many breeders will tell an owner that the puppy "had its shots" when it didnt. Go to your vet, get a fecal done since a lot of puppies have parasite you can get!!!!! and make sure the vaccines are up to date.
good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #6  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the answers everyone!

We went out and bought a litter box with a lid and a flap on the door, she seems to stay away from it now.

We also have her starting to go outside, we've been taking her outside about every 1-2 hours or so, she has gone to the bathroom outside a few times now, if she needs to go and we don't notice and take her outside she usually goes on the puppy pad, she still has the occasional accident but its only been a week since we've had her now. She has also started to let us know she needs to go out, she sleeps on the bed with us and we take her out before bed and my boyfriend takes her out when he gets up for work.

I planned on getting her fixed before she hit 6 months, but I just wanted to make sure it was the right time, since I've never had a puppy lol

Thanks again
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote