Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #1  
here I go again...

Default Can't weigh myself...

Just wondering if I'm alone on this one...

I just can't weigh myself. I haven't been weighed in a few months, but I know it isn't a number I would ever want to know. I'm planning on waiting until I at least notice a difference in how my clothes feel/fit before I attempt it. Ugh. Am I just being a chicken or does anyone else feel this way?
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

No, I ABSOLUTELY do. I was doing really well with working out/eating right for a while and lost a bit, but then I got WAYYYYYYYY overscheduled with work and was frequently working 12, 13, 14 hour days because one of the other waitresses quit. First the exercising went. Thennnnnnnn the eating went along with it and I didn't do so well.

Now I've started back with the eating well, but I'm still amazingly tired from how much I'm working and just can't seem to get to the gym. That said, being a waitress is A TON of exercise (walking, carrying, etc.), so hopefully I'm still doing okay...

BUT even hoping I'm doing okay WILL NOT get me back on the scale. I just don't even want to know..... I feel your pain!!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #3  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I have mini-episodes of being terrified of it, usually when I think it's not gonna say what I want it to. I'll go a month w/o weighing. BUT, I'm trying to weigh myself at least every two weeks now just to stay on track.
Sometimes, when I've been the most afraid, I'll get on and be pleasantly surprised.

I think... having a healthy relationship with the scale (somewhere between obsessing about the numbers every day and avoiding it at all cost) is hard, and I'm not sure I've found it yet.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #4  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem. I'm totally obsessed with the scale, and it's a horrible horrible habit!

But I can understand your fear, it makes sense. Stepping on that scale can mean some unwanted or "bad news." Right now I'm seeing the biggest numbers I've ever seen on it for me, and that can be pretty rough on my self esteem.

My best advice to you is to do what I'm trying to do right now. Try to put things in perspective. The scale is just a number, just a starting point, it doesn't change anything about how you look or feel. ****, the way I see it... the higher that starting number is, the more impressive it's gonna sound when you get down to your ideal goal weight!

Best of luck darlin!
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

I strongly recommend that you step on that scale. I KNOW where you are at - I was there too. I finally stepped on the scale for the following reasons (and I am ever-so-glad that I did)
  • It is what it is - denial won't change it. You need to know where you started so you can truly know how far you have come
  • To truly measure progress, it helps to know where you started. You will actually WANT to know that you have successfully lost X lbs. It will bring you joy.
  • Motivation - in the beginning, the scale is a wonderful thing. It takes a long time for clothes to become loose. It takes an even longer time for people to notice. But the scale is that calm assurance that the plan is working. It is one indicator that you have found the right plan and that you are succeeding
  • Rather than being a very depressing piece of information, it is a sobering fact. I was fat. Not knowing "how fat" was NOT a blessing. It is said that ignorance is bliss, but in reality, it is not - it is dangerous. Learn the truth, accept the truth, and then celebrate your commitment to change.

EDIT: DH just chimed in. He was afraid to step on the scale until he had been OP 2 months. He really wishes that he had had the courage to step on when he started. Learn from his mistake.

Last edited by CountingDown; 01-08-2008 at 10:49 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #6  

All I can do is echo everything CountingDown just posted.

In relation to myself. . . I wish I had stepped on the scale a lot earlier than I did. I went all of June, July & August avoiding it. I was afraid of the number. Maybe if I had stepped on it in June instead of waiting until September I would already be to my goal weight by now.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/129/115

Height: 5'5'

When I started my weightloss journey I never IMAGINED what it would be like after 20lbs becuase I never thought I would get there. You will thank yourself later on if you get on that scale now!
blondeblueeyedbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/193/140

I completely, completely understand. I've actually been putting off starting a weight loss plan, because I was so scared of the scale. However, I knew I would never know how far I've come if I didn't know where I started.

So today, I stepped on the scale. It wasn't so bad. I mean, the number was bad, but I just said to myself "now I know". And I feel exactly the same now as I did before I weighed. Actually, I feel even more motivated because I have a solid goal. And now I'll feel even more accomplished as the pounds come off.

Go for it! You'll feel better for it, trust me.
girl anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/210/150

Height: 5'7''

i understand.
i avoid going on the scale for more than half a year....i was really upset ....i never in my whole life weighted that much, but....now i'm ok..i know where i'm standing and i know that i hape to keep ding what i started.
michellenew
michellenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Default I SOOOOO Get This!

Girl, I can identify with this completely. I'm on my second week of Atkins Induction and I did not weigh in to begin with. I AM AFRAID that if I see numbers of a true weight it will send me into a spiral. I thought it was important to get through the first month having as few cheats as possible with positive reinforcement. I measured instead and took photos. Atkins is easy the first few weeks though because you can (not be be gross here) pee on those ketostix and they change color so you know that you are, for the most part, sticking to the low carb plan. I wish I was brave enough to get on the scale but I'm just not....right now anyway. I'm trying to focus on doing 30-45 minutes on my recumbent bike everyday and sticking to my induction without getting overwhelmed by stepping on a scale and seeing that I really need to lose 20-30 pounds more than I thought.

Here is one kind of cool thing though. I'm at the end of my second week (though I'm probably going to stick to induction for probably a month) and just yesterday I actually started to get curious about what the scale would say. Some of the fear is starting to disapate. Hang in there. Find some other ways to chart your progress if you think weighing yourself is going to freak you out.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

I also have the opposite problem. I'm on the scale at least 4 times a day.

Do it, you'll thank yourself.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

I did it!! I stepped on the scale and it wasn't bad at all!!

Now I'm one pound BELOW where I was when I fell off the wagon before :-)
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #13  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnsmarts View Post
I did it!! I stepped on the scale and it wasn't bad at all!!

Now I'm one pound BELOW where I was when I fell off the wagon before :-)
Way to go! Keep steppin' on that scale and charting your progress. You are back on track and YOU CAN DO IT THIS TIME!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote