Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default What kind of vacuum do you use to pick up pet hair?

I am looking into getting an Oreck and was wondering what everyone uses to pick up pet hair off the floor? Does anyone have an Oreck?
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #2  

I have an orec and it does a GOOD job...I use it when I don't have alot of time. But I also have a Rainbow that does an even better job..especially on furniture..it is mind-blowing the amount of hair that will be in the water even after a week. Raibow vacs are very pricey..but I know you can buy used/reconditioned ones for around $300.00..and I have had mine, which I did buy new, for about eight years and have never had it in for repair?? So a used one would be fine I would think. They are fantastic for getting the dust off of your curtains and lamp shades. I have THREE kitties.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I have a Dyson and a couple Roombas. I use the Roombas during the week, and the Dyson on Saturday. It does a nice job with the cat and dog hair. The dog is a shelty - golden mix so his fur is long and EVERYWHERE!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had an Oreck and it is the worst vacuum that I've ever owned. I bought a Dyson and I couldn't be happier. Case in point: I vacuumed the entire house with the Oreck and THEN I re-vacuumed with the Dyson. There was absolutely nothing in the Oreck bag (and it was only a few months old). The Dyson--it had well over 2 cups of dust, dirt and dog hair in the collection container. For pet hair, the Dyson can't be beat!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i love my dyson...and i didn't get the pet package one...i find the regular vaccuum works find to get all the hair...and i have 3 pets
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #6  
Meg

Another Dyson lover here ... and I have five cats!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #7  

I have a Dyson Animal and 25 indoor cats that roam throughout the house (yes, we have a large home). The Dyson absolutely sucked when it came to the hair sticking to the brush on the bottom. Had to stop and clean it every portion of the house. It does a great job overall, but if you have a LOT of hair and don't vacuum every day...

We recently purchased a Dirt Devil Ultra Turbo for $120 at the time and it rocks! No hair stuck in the bristles. The only downside is having to clean the filter as its bagless as well. I actually love it more than my Dyson.

So, depending on how many pets you have, if they shed a lot, ... and how often you vacuum, Dyson or Dirt Devil.
Christin In CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'6

We have the Dyson vacuum that says is made for pet hair, and it works great!
grsshppr045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #9  

Hmmm. I have used a few vacuums over the last couple of years and I prefer bagged vacuums which is why I really like the Orecks! The Oreck XL Ultra is the one that I like because it has intellashield technology that fights bacterias and odors which will be very helpful. Does anyone find that the bagless vacuums create more dust and therefore more cleaning?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/265/150

Height: 5'8"

Gotta say, I'm not a big fan of Orecks. We had an ancient one at my old job and it was loud, difficult to push, and not particularly good at picking up stuff.
rosebud50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #11  

Oh! You have to check out the new ones! I finally made it over to the Oreck store over the weekend and I think I fell in love with a vacuum cleaner! The XL Ultra is very light, which I love and it works like a champ - my rugs could really use it!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 199/188/120

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

We have the purple pet dyson and we love it. We have two chinchillas and they do a great job of getting hay, dust, chin poos and bedding all over. I vacuum every other day.
Chinchilla Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #13  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

We bought a new vac a few yrs back. Had a Hoover windtunnel (bagless) which sucked. Went to Sears and the guy talked me into buying a Kennmore Progressive direct drive. No belts. I was shocked to see how much dog hair it picked up. We have 1 cat - all black - and one dog - a collie mix w/long white always shedding fur. I know Dysons and Orecks can be pricey. This vac works great and was reasonabley priced and Sears is always having sales. Its not bagless - which is better and easier than a bagless - and it has a hard outer case and hepa filters (they probably all do ). No dust/dirt gets spewed back into the air.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I don't remember the brand I have... but I find what works well on carpets is the Arm & Hammer Carpet freshener the vacuums up with baking powder in it. I sprinkle that on the carpet and it releases the hair and the vacuum picks it all up. I use the pet hair deodorizing one. Wow, really specific aren't I? haha.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Dyson Animal all the way. I had two vacuums before my Dyson that were both ranked highly on Consumer Reports...they just didn't hold up. Bought my Dyson and I was disgusted at how much crud it picked up, lol. The only drawbacks...I'm used to canister vacs - they are easy to move around, easy to get in small spots, nice light on the front - the Dyson doesn't have great handling, it's actually quite awkward. BUT - does it clean well!

Oh, forgot to mention - Dyson is great for my allergies (dust, pollen, animal dander & mold). And the fact that I no longer have to buy bags...love that!

Last edited by Lunula; 03-29-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote