Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #1  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default Calories in homemade soup

I'm trying to figure out the nutrition information for homemade soup that my mom makes every time she roasts a whole chicken or turkey, which I had for dinner tonight with some veggies and a sandwich.

She takes the drippings from the roasting pan, water, and some bullion. Then she adds meat (chicken or turkey, depending), and various veggies that we have around. The batch I had for dinner had mushrooms, corn, and diced carrots, beans, and peas. She then adds some egg noodles (not a whole lot, there was probably less than 1/8 cup in the bowl I had tonight).

I had a 1 cup serving... FitDay does have a listing for homemade chicken or turkey soup, but it doesn't include noodles, or meat drippings in the ingredients, both of which I suspect would up the calorie content.

I hate estimating calories because I am so worried that I'll underestimate, and it will throw off my day. I know I shouldn't worry about it that much, but I am very careful about measuring and recording EVERYTHING I put in my mouth.

P.S. I accidentally posted this first in the wrong forum (20-somethings) so sorry if this seems like a repeat to anyone!
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Given that you didn't make the soup yourself, guesstimating is the only way to go. I'd suggest using the Fitday homemade count, plus 1tb fat, plus some noodles, depending on how many you think you ate.

There's nothing for it, I'm afraid. Calorie counting is tricky when other people prepare the food.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #3  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the speedy response. I did as you suggested and I am still nervous about underestimating, but it seems like a pretty good guess. Ughh this soup is just so delicious, I know I am going to be eating it again, and it's so torturous not being able to measure everything exactly as I cook and then figuring out the nutrition info per serving (which I always do, and naturally since no one else in my house is dieting, no one else does!).
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #4  
Ticker-free

S/C/G: 216/204.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if this helps, but the Campbells Chunky Chicken Noodle I had for breakfast (yeah I know, but it's what I felt like) had 140 cals per cup. Has less veggies I'm sure, but I'm sure if you figure 160 per cup, you'd be pretty ballpark.
perclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

If your Mom will give you the approx. recipe you could put it into a recipe calculator and go from there. calorie-count.com has a good one. I think it's under tools.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #6  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I posted a long thing about Calorie-Count in another thread, but in short, it's a good general gauge of how healthy a recipe is, but the actual servings tend to be off by 200-400 calories depending on the recipe. I use it to get a quick general sense of a recipe, but to actually count the calories, I take the time to put each of the ingredients into Daily Plate as a new recipe.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote