Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #1  
weeeeeeeeeeeee

Height: 5'9"

Question weight watchers + 20-somethings (???)

i'm 25, and have yo-yo dieted for much of my adult life. for a brief time i was around 200-210, but have recently been hovering closer to 240-250. in the past i've had success just counting cals, but always get frustrated when the weightloss slows down and the weight eventually comes back.

this new years eve, i was inspired. not because of the whole resolutions deal, but because i saw a real live Weight Watcher's weightloss success story (my bf's friend's gf - she lost about 50 lbs and is now around 120 and looks FABULOUS) and remembered how great i felt when i was losing weight.

so, i have decided that i am going to go join this evening. i know how to lose weight, but motivation is my biggest problem. i think the meetings (especially the weigh-ins) will be that kick in the rear that i need.

my only concern is - will there be any of my peers there? or is it mostly middle-aged women (not that middle-aged women are a bad thing)? any other 20-somethings have success on weight watchers that you could share with me?

thanks!
8mickey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #2  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

yipeee!!!

i brought all my WW stuff to work with me today because i'm starting again today. when i did WW last summer i didn't have much success because i was cheating so much but it was the easiest plan to keep up with.

i'm so glad i'm not the only one. i have all the information that i recieved from a friend and i don't go to the meetings, i just kinda do it on my own at home.

we should buddy up and motivate each other!!!
mrsgeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #3  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Well, when I joined it was only middle aged women there. It wasn't bad, it's just that they had different issues. Then I left WW and have done great on my own. Try it, see if you like it. Good luck!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Well, when I did it I chose a meeting location that was near my college, and we had about half college-age girls and then some older women too. I think you can "meeting-shop" to see if you can find a suitable location. And some of those older ladies are really fantastic motivators, they're very no-nonsense about it!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #5  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I do WW but I don't go to the meetings. I think that is also one of the things I feel worried about and why I don't go to the meetings. My moms friend was I think 25 or so though. I'm unsure. I know my mom did it when she was younger. It all just depends on the area you live around and where the meetings are. Good luck!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #6  

when i went, there were a few younger girls, and mostly older women and a few men. having said that, everyone is VERY welcoming and very encouraging, so age doesn't even matter. it's a really great feeling when you lose your first 5 pounds and they ask you what you've done to be so successful!. good luck! i've been doing weight watchers core the past couple of days and it's really not that hard.
Emily
Emdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #7  
Losing Weight in 2008

S/C/G: 160/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I'm with you Jana, I've been following WW at home on my own. I bought the material from someone who was no longer doing it, and I LOVE it. It's so easy, and I even take my points calculator grocery shopping so that I can find the lowest point foods for easy snacks, dinners, lunches, whatever. The reason I love Weight Watchers so much is that nothing is off limits (within reason). Good luck, and though I'm not very experiences, I'd be happy to talk to you about anything!
Sharron616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #8  

I just got a "come back to us" mailer from WW last night... I'm considering going back to it. I do miss the personal support and accountability... decisions, decisions. I do ok on my own but I do way better with people around me!!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i was early 30's when i joined..and there was a wide range at my group...but i guess every group vaires. also, it really doesn't matter...everyone i've ever met (no matter what age) is supportive and helpful. But i suspect you will find at least one or two your age..if not more...good luck!!!!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/119

Height: 5ft2

hi there
i started weight watchers on wednesday, there was a real mix of ages so hopefully will be the same for you too.
goodluck, keep us posted how u r doin xx
clarelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #11  
weeeeeeeeeeeee

Height: 5'9"

Thanks to everyone who replied. I went ahead and joined on wednesday. The meeting was motivational, despite there being a wide range in the age groups that attended.

Everyone keep in touch and let me know how your WW progress is going!
8mickey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #12  
Losing Weight in 2008

S/C/G: 160/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

8mickey2-I have bridesmaid duty in May, so we're on the same page. I haven't joined a meeting yet, but it's in the back of my mind. Let me know where you stand, whether you feel I'd be more motivated by it. Good for you for taking a stand and going!
Sharron616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #13  

Well, I'm definitely going to a meeting tomorrow morning I'm having my sister call me when she gets back from hers to make sure I get to mine!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 AM   #14  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I love going to the meetings. I've been going for the last 16 months and it's been the biggest motivation for me! I've been to many different meetings at different locations because of my work schedule. Each one is different and has different age groups. Some are mostly older ladies, some are mostly young moms, others vary a lot. The one I go to the most has a wide variety of age groups and quite a few males, which adds a different dynamic, and the leader is fabulous. I go to this one whenever I'm off on that night. I think you just need to find one that works with your schedule and with what you need. I like getting input from all the different age groups. It's amazing how many different answers you can get to a simple question. I've learned a lot.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210.6/181.0/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm new to this, too. I have never done WW before. I am going to try it out tomorrow evening. I have a few friends (also 20 somethings) that have done it before and are starting up again. The only problem is that they live out of town. Everyone's stories have me motivated. I can't wait!
sarahatc is offline   Reply With Quote