General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default Going back to school

Hi, I will be going back to school in 2008. Which major should I choose so I can make a lot of money (sociology or psychology are majors that I am considering)? I have a BA in political science but haven't been able to find work and this will be the 3rd year since I earned my degree.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Perhaps you should try graduate school. A lot of people who earn a BA in poli sci go to law school; I didn't major in poli sci (I was journalism), but I'm going to law school now. No guarantee you'll make lots of money though, and it's three years of your life.

If you want to go for another BA/BS, I'd say pick something that has practical application. Perhaps you could do education (and once you got a job as a teacher, many places pay for further graduate work).
BLLgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #3  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

You're not going to make a lot of money with sociology or psychology. Those are some of the bigger majors and both are pretty saturated fields.

I would also say to go to grad school. If you want to keep up at Poli Sci, why not try international affairs and get into diplomacy?

If you want to get another BA or BS, then the big money makers that I have seen have always been in the sciences or engineering. GOOD LUCK!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Have you considered teaching history or political science? Many areas (atleast down here) are desperate for teachers and will hire you if you have a 4 year degree, and start working on some sort of education program during your first year to get certified. I know I was looking into it for after I graduate, but I decided to finish Nursing school after my pointless Art degree LOL (by pointless I mean in the real world...I wouldn't change my major for anything)

Last edited by sockmonkey70; 12-31-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #5  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Check and see if the school has a special career counselling session. This will provide a good background on your interests and highlight some majors that will suit your needs or ideals.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I have a major in Sociology with a minor in Psych and trust me you're not going to make a lot of money with those degrees. I found both fancinating, and wouldn't change my degrees for the world. But, I graduated 3 years ago and while I have a decent paying job it's not in the sociology field. In fact I couldn't, and still can't, find a job in the sociology area. Grad school or law school would be your best bet. I agree with the previous posters who say another liberal arts degree isn't really worth it. Try looking into a Masters of conselling program, you'll likely have more career luck with that.

Last edited by shantroy; 01-02-2008 at 11:29 AM.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Thanks for your advice everyone.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Actually, you CAN make a lot of money if you look into Industrial/Organization (I/O) Psych. You can get a master's degree in that and do very well, or you can pursue the PhD (but it's one of the remaining areas in psychology where you can do just fine with a masters degree).

I have my PhD in a research area of psychology and trust me, my colleagues in I/O are doing very well for themselves.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote