Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default New Show, The Truth about Food...........

Really good show on Discovery Health right now about how we gain/lose weight, called "How to be Slim/The Truth about Food." It's a new show as far as I know. Very interesting - check it out!! The just did an experiment on a skinny girl and fat girl to find out the RMR and found out the fat girl was truly eating 50% more than the skinny girl. Then they did an experiment and fed 3 guys carbs, proteins, and fat and seeing how long they can go without needing to eat again. I think protein won.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:46 AM   #2  

Surprise re: protein--not.

Why is the rest of the world so anti-protein? Did all the bad PR from Atkins ruin the truth for people?
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:27 AM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I think you hit the nail on the head, JerseyGirl. Atkins has given protein a bad name. I saw this show and it was great. Lots of interesting stuff backed up by some great studies. The protein meal that "won", i.e. kept the person fullest the longest did have carbs too.

This show seemed to promote higher levels of protein to keep you full longer and low fat calcium foods (like yogurt) to reduce fat absorption.

I can't remember everything. Anyone else watch it?
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/143/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Protien....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl69 View Post
Surprise re: protein--not.

Why is the rest of the world so anti-protein? Did all the bad PR from Atkins ruin the truth for people?
While it good for rebuilding/refueling the body after a workout, too much protien is also very hard on your kidneys.

Twenty million people in the US suffer from Cronich Kidney Disease. Millions have it and don't know it. A "high" protien diet is not the way to go. Ask a nutritionist if you have questions.
Crabbykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:23 AM   #5  

I think something in the middle is best. I've never had kidney problems, yet developed stones for the first time in my life in my 40's about a year after drinking 2 protein smoothies a day for about 4 months. I think the 2 were related, as it's very rare for women to develop them in mid-life, it's more of a men's disease. Most women who have them get them consistently from an earlier time in life. So, just saying that I think eating lean protein is good but there is a threshold.

The show also discovered that by eating lots of dairy in your diet, you excrete 100% more fat than you do on a diet without lf dairy. That part was amazing, as was the technology with which they analyzed the results! They were careful to say, calories in and out still matters - don't eat GALLONS of yogurt each day, but for those who can incorporate it a couple of times a day, you will have a favorable outcome.

Now to find out if that study was sponsored somehow by the dairy council, which is what I've heard other dairy research accused of resulting from. But the amount of fat that was excreted couldn't be denied, and it was done in Finland I believe, where they probably have less active dairy councils.

Last edited by sportmom; 12-31-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/143/125

Height: 5'3"

I can't wait to catch the show. It sounds so interesting, I hope they re-show it!
Crabbykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
The show also discovered that by eating lots of dairy in your diet, you excrete 100% more fat than you do on a diet without lf dairy. That part was amazing, as was the technology with which they analyzed the results!
Was that the one where they had to save all their poo? That WAS ! Then the poor scientists (ladies) had to freeze it and do all kinds of stuff to it. That is one job I do not want!
StraitLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #8  

Yes! That was the show!