Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5 foot 7

Default Paxil and weight gain?

Hi all! I am new here. I have been taking Paxil 20 mg. for 8 years now. It seems that ever since I started I have had trouble losing weight. I also put on some weight. Do any of you know anything about Paxil and weight? I am also on Klonopin 1 mg.

Thank you!
dawnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:41 AM   #2  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Height: 5' 3"

My sister used to be on Paxil. When she was she gained a significant amount of weight. I'm currently on Zoloft (have been for about 2 years or so). I've gained a lot of weight in the last two years, but I'm not 100% sure if that's directly related to the Zoloft or just my enjoyment of eating.
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 AM   #3  

Post Yes!

I would be almost positive it is the medication. I gained a significant amount of weight on Paxil about 9 years ago. It is one of the worst as far as weight is concerned. My parents are psychotherapists and my mom just mentioned the other day that Paxil is the most likely to cause weight gain out of all the anti-depressants. The only one that really doesn't have that side effect is Wellbutrin.

Take care!
Eve
evelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #4  
Time to get serious

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5'9"

I too gained weight on Paxil about 7 years ago. Quite a bit. I wasn't sure if it was finally feeling good again and enjoying life (including food) or if it was the medication. It was a difficult period in my life, and once the stresses were gone I slowly got off Paxil and that weight came off as well.
aksuzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Nope, not for me. I've been on Paxil about the same amount of time that I've been about goal weight.

Rest assured that everyone is different.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #6  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

I gained a substantial amount of weight when i was on Paxil, but it seemed like the only thing the drug did for me was give me side effects. needless to say i wasnt on it for long, good luck!
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #7  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

My good friend has gained a significant amount of weight with paxil along with increased anxiety. She is having a hard time coming off of it as well due to withdrawal symptoms such as severe panic attacks.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #8  
NutriNewbie

S/C/G: 185/???/145

Height: 5'-10"

I've taken Paxil for around 10 years off and on (mostly on). Every time I stop and restart or increase my dose, I gain 7-10 pounds. I'm sick of it and that's why I'm doing NutriSystem. I don't like to cook and am lazy about food prep, so having ready food on hand helps a lot.

Paxil kicks my already hyperactive sweet tooth into overdrive, it is not pretty! I've noticed that the people I know who were slim before taking Paxil seem to gain the most weight. It sucks.
NutriNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

I've taken Paxil (didn't work for my illness). One thing you need to remember is that most anti-depressants carry the side effect of weight gain. But the thing is its a side effect so some people get it and some don't. Best thing is to judge if its working for your illness and if weight gain is a side effect you can live with. If not, talk to your doc about trying a med in the same family (same basic components) that may have a less likelihood of causing you weight gain. There are lots out there to choose from.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #10  
Fat Cat

S/C/G: 199/198/150

Height: 5'2"

I was on Paxil for over a year and gained 30 pounds!
I tried to get off it cold turkey but the withdrawel effects were horrible. I finally tapered off. I went to every two days - skip one for one week. The second week I skipped every other day. Finally I cut the pill in half and proceeded as before but with 1/2 the dose. I am happy to say Iam off Paxil now on Welbutriun and 8 pounds lighter.
catmalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #11  

Height: 5 foot 7

Thank you all so much for your replys. I'm not really sure if my weight gain is directly from the Paxil or not. I'm just not sure since I've always been heavy. Just not THIS heavy.

I tried Zoloft which gave me severe panic attacks and I actually ended up in the ER (passed out and woke up there) with an IV in and getting liquid Ativan in my IV. It was terrible! I tryed Wellbutrin but it gave me shakey feelings (seizures) I tryed Seroquil which made me feel as though I was melting I was so hot, I also tryed Buspar and Remeron which didn't do anything. So since I have tried so, so many and Paxil was the only one that actually helped lower my panic attacks from 8 severe attacks a day to 3 a month, I plan on staying on it. I just wondered if it could be making the weight gain. Even if it is though, I'd rather be a bigger girl then to be a very, very anxious sick girl.

But again thank you all for the information.
dawnsky is offline   Reply With Quote