Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 AM   #1  
Rooster

S/C/G: 237/233/180

Height: 5'11"

Default 30 Something's Daily Chat: Thursday December 27

Well, I survived another Christmas and it's back to the grind again today.

As soon as DW got off work at the mall on Christmas Eve, I picked her up and we grabbed a quick bite to eat (A&W - not the best choice, but whatever. ) before hitting the road for the 4 hour drive to my parents' house.

Had a nice, quiet Christmas with a few gifts being exchanged between families (my parents, my sister and her hubby, and ours) and much of the day spent enjoying each other's company. My parents, who recently returned from a 3 week vacation/conference in Chile, had plenty of photos and videos to show of that AND there was plenty of entertainment to be had from our screaming 3 week old nephew. The few times he was quiet, he was quite cute. DW enjoyed holding him whenever he could pry him away from Grandma.

DW and I decided that it was time to start doing Christmas a little different. Every year, it was almost obscene the amount of stuff that we got and gave to people who really didn't need it. So, earlier this year, we talked about this and decided that the "right thing to do" would be to buy a few, inexpensive gifts for everyone and then take the rest of the money and donate it to an appropriate charity. We're planning on varying the recipient every year, based on family or world events - so with the birth of our nephew this year, we decided that this year we would make a sizable donation to UNICEF. I did up a little note and included it in everyone's card, letting them know what we have done. Just a little way to make Christmas feel a little more "right" for me. And maybe in 2008, I'll be in the Christmas Spirit before December 23rd.

Back to work today for both DW and I. However, things will be dramatically different with DW dealing with cranky shoppers and me just "putting in time" because nothing is going on between Christmas and New Year's. Snow storm coming today. Oh GOODIE. *sarcasm*

I'm feeling motivated to get back into some kind of workout routine, which is a good thing. I don't know how long it'll be until that feeling evaporates again, though. So I really need to act on it - but much like every time, there's really no spot in the house that I can call my 'workout area'. Blah.

Anyway, my sweets, everyone have a good day!!

:Lawrence
Rooster.
RXZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Mornin'!

Roo, GREAT to see you! CONGRATS on the new wee one! *nudge* You and DW need to start thinking that way... *nudge* I'm feeling very motivated too...let's do our best to keep it going. What a wonderful idea about the donation. What did the rest of the family think? I don't have a huge family, but all the cousins agreed that we'll just buy for the kids now, since we all have them (except my SIL). My side of the family set a $10-ish limit...might try that for next year with DH's side.

Nothin' going on here this week either. There's about 12 people in the whole building this week! I thought my boss was being sarcastic when he told me that last week, but apparently not! Oh well, lots of chit chat and goofing off.

So who's on the band-wagon with me for next year?? I'm not making a "resolution", because I won't keep it...never do...but just am feeling really motivated.

I want to go back to keeping track of our miles/exercise every week, like we did back in the beginning of the 30 something's thread.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #3  
Post-It Junkie

S/C/G: Starting: 195 / Current 195

Height: 5'2

I need to make a new formal plan for 2008. And I need to work out A LOT MORE! We have one more big holiday family dinner left on Friday out at a nice place, then life should be back to "normal" - ha!
Lola Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

Good Afternoon Ladies (and gentleman...lol)

Rooster....that is such a good idea. We need more people like you around!!!

Lauren... I am taking advantage of my lazy mornings. I will soon be getting up at 5:30 every morning (back to work). I have about three more days to sleep in and then it's all over....lol.

Well nothing much planned for today. I need to go to the laundromat to wash my comforter. It is to big for my washer and dryer and I hope that they have one big enough. The tag says dry clean only but I am going to try and wash it anyway. I am sure to dry clean it would cost more than the comforter cost in the first place.
tjjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #5  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Rooster, what a great idea, the donation and all. I could buy DS half and give the rest to charity. Or perhaps buy for someone on the angel tree. I've never done that.

Lauren, I am not making a resolution either. Keeping track of minutes exercised would be good. Unfortunately, the thought of the new year brings me no closer to getting motivated. If everyone else is posting minutes it may help motivate me though.

Tamia, doesn't that stink how they don't make washing machines big enough for bedding. You're right to dry clean would be expensive, good luck.

I am still looking for my workout video, it's somewhere in one of these boxes! DS took my video out to put one of his in before we moved, otherwise it would be in the DVD player where it belongs. LOL I don't really have anywhere to walk here, but we live on such a steep hill that DH said if I walk up and down our driveway a couple of times I should get a workout.

Back off to Lowes today. I almost had enough paint to finish my room, but not quite. Which really stinks cause now I have to go out and buy more. OH and the kids are BORED!!!!! Can't wait till the weekend so DH can entertain them, lol.

Have a great day all!
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  
LBH

T, When I bought my washer & dryer, I made sure I got the biggest capacity one I could, because I never seem to catch up on laundry! I can wash my king size quilt in it no problem!

Lola, Welcome and get right back on track with the rest of us!!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #7  
LBH

Alicia, we were posting at the same time. I was looking for an old post to show everyone what we used to do, but I can't go back that far...I think the site crashed or something way back then, if I remember correctly. Basically everyone would post their exercise for the week and at the beginning of each weekly thread, we'd post the totals in the first post. We counted actual miles, or 20 minutes of exercise = 1 mile.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

Hello all! I survived the day after Christmas sale. There weren't as many returns as I expected, which is good ~ however people were spending. The store did almost $150K. (last year = 119K)

Alicia, the new job would be more hours, alot more pay, and probably crappier hours. But it's something that I really want. I would be managing!

I think keeping track of exersize is a good idea. I really only have an exersize ball, but I would use it. Actually I have to stretch my back with it tonight.

Something we also used to do, was to log in all the food we ate. Maybe we could incorporate the exersize and eating into a thread. Everytime we eat, we could edit the post (or something like that).

Well just a thought.

Lisa
lppennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

Rooster-What a great thing to do. My mom and I always buy stuff for my kids at school.

Tamia-When I bought a new comforter for my bed I actually bought one I knew would fit in my washer. It is actually a quilt. I have allergies and have to wash mine fairly often.

I love the idea of tracking our exercise. I am definately game.

It is snowing here. Lots of snow. DH and I have been busy cleaning. We went through all of DS's toys and threw out the ones that were broken and filled a couple of bags for Goodwill. Once DS is up I am going to make DH hang some stuff. We moved in here in July and still have not hung things up. I just hope the snow ends soon.

Jasmine
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

hey all...its been busy at work for the last two days. So haven't had time to post. its been good here..except for the eating part. Got to get back on track...but at least i've been working out. things are good at home, enjoyed time with the family. Most of my family instead of giving me a gift, gave me a donation to my personal training fees. So that wil be good.
Roo - glad to see you back
hey to everyone else....hope everyone is well..off to find some motivation to get my butt to the gym.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #11  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Lauren, do you have one of those front loading washing machines? Those are nice. Yes we will have to start something for the new year. Lisa's idea is good also.

GG, what a nice gift.

Went to JCpenny, I really wanted a new coat, but the prices still haven't dropped. By the time they do, I will probably miss out. Didn't find any great buys anywhere.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #12  
LBH

Alicia, no, it's a regular Kenmore Super Capacity. Might be because I have a quilt, not a comforter, that it fits??
Do you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you? I got a new coat this year. It wasn't on sale at the time, because I really needed a new one, but I think I paid around $59.

PS, I got a new job...a permanent one! The place I had the 2nd interview at last week. I start probably on 1/9.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 7"

Lauren, Congrats!!!! That's great news!! I am soo excited for you. I know that this year has been a rough one for some of us, hopefully the new year will be the turn around.

Lisa
lppennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 172/132/125

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXZephyr View Post
So, earlier this year, we talked about this and decided that the "right thing to do" would be to buy a few, inexpensive gifts for everyone and then take the rest of the money and donate it to an appropriate charity.
i think this is a fantastic idea!!

Last edited by bojooki; 12-28-2007 at 06:21 AM.
bojooki is offline   Reply With Quote