Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Default Help from Runners, Please!

Hi all,

As I've mentioned before, I'm going to be quitting smoking in January. I've been a 2-pack-a-day smoker for more than 10 years and have smoked for about 16 years total. My lungs are trash. I am, however, relatively fit. I've been running for about 8 months, doing the weights, elliptical, biking etc, etc. I do lots of exercise but I have come to the realization that I will not be able to make any more progress with my cardio activities, running specifically, without quitting smoking. Despite all of the many excellent reasons for quitting smoking, the reason I have finally come around to making the decision to quit is because I want to run. Right now I run 3.25 about 3 times a week, but despite having been at it for many, many months, I still have to take breaks to walk every mile or so, because my lungs are so bad. For the same reason, my pace has never really improved.

So, what I'd like from you guys, is recommendations for reading about becoming a runner. Books, magazines, web sites, programs etc etc. My reason for this is twofold: 1. I want to psyche myself up for the rewards of quitting smoking and 2. because I want to put into place a running program once I've stopped smoking and once my lungs have started to recover from the abuse. The last couple of weeks of C25K will probably be a decent place to start (although I can already run 2 miles without stopping at all--it's the third mile that presents the problem, and I can easily do 60 mins of moderate intensity cardio), but I don't know how to go about increasing my distance, my speeds, etc etc. Basically I'm excited to start running properly without massive protest from my lungs and I want to learn all about it.

So, that was the long-winded way of asking for suggestions. Suggestions?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on the will to quit. I wish you the best of luck. I am struggling with quiting currently. I have read several different online articles on starting running programs and have found the very useful. Although I bought a book a couple years back that is WONDERFUl! It is Running for Dummies. Barnes and Noble should still carry it. I found it very useful and insirational.
How are you planning on quiting? Any medication or just cold turkey?
Best wishes and happy holidays
jaxnthbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #3  

Thanks for the rec!

I have a prescription to Chantrix in my purse. I'm hoping it will be the magical pill! (I'm also hoping that magical pills are less ridiculous for quitting smoking than they are for losing weight. ) But yikes, the prospect of quitting is very, very scary. I'm hoping my desire to run further and faster will be strong enough to overcome my very entrenched desire to smoke many, many cigarettes.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #4  

Just out of curiosity, why are you quitting in January and not now?
JMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi Baffled - The only reading I've done so far is on the Cool Running website (home of C25K) but there is a LOT of info there. FWIW, as a singer, the improvement in my cardio has been amazing for my voice!

Good for you giving up that nasty habit! (I quit a few years back - I hear ya!)

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Let's see. The short list.

Books: The Courage to Start by John Bingham. The Complete Book of Running for Women by Claire Kowalchik. A more advanced (and huge) book containing everything you could ever possibly want to know about running is The Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. Encyclopedic. Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan.

Magazines: Runner's World. Triathlete.

Web Sites: www.runnersworld.com, www.coolrunning.com, plus look up your local Road Runner's club rrca.org to find out what is going on locally in terms of training, running groups, and races.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #7  

Thanks for that list Anne! That's very helpful.

Heather, I have a terrible singing voice. Do you think repairing my lungs is going to be able to change that? I'd love to be able to sing in tune.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

baffled...if after a few weeks of no smoking, you don't see an improvement of your lung capacity you definately should make sure there isn't anything else causing the constriction of lungs etc.

good luck on the quitting and hopefully we'll see you in a 10k soon (:
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote